PDA

View Full Version : l250 or 250ti and low/moderate volume

brett_s
08-21-2010, 10:56 AM
I've never heard a set of L250 to 250ti's in person (yes I know they are different, but they are similar) and I have an odd question. Some speakers sound flat and unimpressive until you start to turn them up a bit. How would you describe these speakers at low/moderate volumes?

Most of the time when I'm playing music I tend to keep them at a moderate volume (the wife says it's loud, but I disagree) and I was just curious how you would compare them to other speakers at lower settings.

Brett

rdgrimes
08-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Depends entirely on the room and the supplied power. The smaller the room and the amp, the less likely you are to get the best these have to offer.

brett_s
08-21-2010, 11:42 AM
that's fair.

For assumption sake, let's say it's a decent sized room, of 15' wide x 40' long, 9' ceilings, decent accoustical properties and plenty of amplifier. Yes, this is my room....

How do they play at lower/moderate volume?

timc
08-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I have not hear the 250, but i have listened a bit to the Ti240 with plenty of power. In my oppinion it didnt really start to boogie, until moderate high levels.

The 250 has the extra lower mid, and a larger cabinet so it could be better in this respect.

jbl_daddy
08-21-2010, 01:23 PM
My 250ti's play at low volumes 90 percent of the time, they sound better than any other of my JBL's at low volumes. This would include 4340's, L100T3's, L65'S and yes even my fathers Paragon 2 miles down the street. The right gear, source material, and room setup can make or break the best speakers.

rdgrimes
08-21-2010, 04:04 PM
that's fair.

For assumption sake, let's say it's a decent sized room, of 15' wide x 40' long, 9' ceilings, decent accoustical properties and plenty of amplifier. Yes, this is my room....

How do they play at lower/moderate volume?
Assuming those decent acoustic properties are real, and the amp is too, they should sound great. The bigger the space the better and that's plenty big. Prolly could use a couple B460 too. :D

SEAWOLF97
08-21-2010, 04:13 PM
In the winter I get up at 5 or 6 AM to light up the woodstove...need to keep the 250ti's low as to not wake the old bear :eek: , they sound fine , and when you want to turn them loud, well....I dont know their limit...its higher than mine. :blink: they just go higher & higher with no strain.
(I have 375 wpc pushing them)

DavidF
08-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I've never heard a set of L250 to 250ti's in person (yes I know they are different, but they are similar) and I have an odd question. Some speakers sound flat and unimpressive until you start to turn them up a bit. How would you describe these speakers at low/moderate volumes?

Most of the time when I'm playing music I tend to keep them at a moderate volume (the wife says it's loud, but I disagree) and I was just curious how you would compare them to other speakers at lower settings.

Brett

Brett, I think you would prefer not to know. I have the 250Ti in an alternate configuration (not origianal enclsoure). Dodging the original question I can let you know that the 250Ti will have you constantly nudging up the volume. The ease and smoothness with which this system "speaks" encourages the listener to constantly goose up the volume. You will think to yourself, "that's nice, let's just push it a little more. And more... and more. No protest at all from the speakers. Before you know it the WAF breaks the spell. Just something you may have to avoid for the sake of domestic peace of mind.

brett_s
08-23-2010, 03:25 PM
David,

that is to funny! That's exactly how it happens at my house. Constantly nudging up the volume untill it's too loud!

Thanks to all for the replies on the speakers. From the sound of it, this series still sounds excellent at lower volumes. I guess I can't use that as an excuse not to try and find a set!

Thanks,
Brett

JeffW
08-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I have mine set up as the front speakers in my HT system, or with a flip of a switch they are set for dedicated 2 channel stereo, so they get quite a lot of play as just "TV Sound" and do a great job at the low levels that I generally watch TV. You can get a surprising amount of bass from them at really low volume.

jblnut
08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
They are fantastic at low levels. I listen a lot late at night once the kids are asleep and it's amazing how much detail they give you at very low volumes. Even the bass is audible and balanced. I found the opposite to be true - that they started to sound different at higher volumes. Before I had tubes in my system, I still thought they sounded great at low volumes, but I didn't like the sound as the power was increased. Moving to tubes has fixed that for me and now I'm happy at all volumes.

My friend who is a longtime Klipsch fanatic agrees (and it's one of his biggest complaints about his speakers) - the 250's are really nice to listen to softly. Trying that on the Fortes is not a very rewarding experience...

jblnut

brett_s
08-24-2010, 02:03 PM
They are fantastic at low levels. I listen a lot late at night once the kids are asleep and it's amazing how much detail they give you at very low volumes. Even the bass is audible and balanced. I found the opposite to be true - that they started to sound different at higher volumes. Before I had tubes in my system, I still thought they sounded great at low volumes, but I didn't like the sound as the power was increased. Moving to tubes has fixed that for me and now I'm happy at all volumes.

My friend who is a longtime Klipsch fanatic agrees (and it's one of his biggest complaints about his speakers) - the 250's are really nice to listen to softly. Trying that on the Fortes is not a very rewarding experience...

jblnut

I hate to sound dumb, but when you say "tubes" are you referring to tube amplifiers? Sorry, but my ignorance is showing here.
Brett

jblnut
08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Yes - tubes would be tube amps and preamps in my case. I only use transistors for the bass driver of the 250Ti. I have custom crossovers that let me use different amps for the bass driver and the upper 3. It's a best of both worlds deal - tons of clean power for the bass and that lush midrange and slightly softer high-end that tubes give you.

jblnut

brutal
08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Mine sound as good and as neutral at low volume as they do up high.

FWIW, they also go significantly louder than the wife, so I don't always hear the complaining, and it's a great strategy if I want the room to myself. :D

Progneta
08-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I felt this way about volume when I was running solid state amps. Almost like you really had to drive some speakers to get them sounding good.

When using tube amps (40-75 watt mono blocks) they sound good all the time.

Sometimes I wonder if my brain is playing tricks on me and I "think" they sound different . All and all, its great fun!

:cooked:

Titanium Dome
08-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Tubes provide uniform "warm" distortion at all volumes. So if you want consistent output, it's a sure way to get it. Some people prefer this sound, and it's futile to oppose it. Everyone has the option to appreciate what pleases them.

I've tried it, heard it, and decided it's not something I appreciate as much as others, but I really like to go to a tuber's home and bathe in the fervent passion of the tube-o-phile's devotion. It's hard (impossible) not to be seduced in the moment. It just sounds very nice!

Nonetheless, when I get home, I'm back in SS heaven, with my tubes gathering dust, unused on the shelf.

Progneta
08-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Tubes provide uniform "warm" distortion at all volumes. So if you want consistent output, it's a sure way to get it. Some people prefer this sound, and it's futile to oppose it. Everyone has the option to appreciate what pleases them.

I've tried it, heard it, and decided it's not something I appreciate as much as others, but I really like to go to a tuber's home and bathe in the fervent passion of the tube-o-phile's devotion. It's hard (impossible) not to be seduced in the moment. It just sounds very nice!

Nonetheless, when I get home, I'm back in SS heaven, with my tubes gathering dust, unused on the shelf.

I too enjoy SS sound. Alot oppose it, but I find it to have an enjoyable sound. I enjoy my SS mc7300 amplifier on a nice set of altecs. After a while, I switch back to tube...then back SS... back and forth it seems. But that is what makes this hobby fun, always trying to get that sound

Andyoz
08-31-2010, 05:24 AM
I listen to my 250Ti's at low to medium mostly.

They have that characteristic that only big speakers can of just coasting along. They still have good scale and weight to the sound at low volumes because of that wonderful bass. Nothing against the 120Ti's, but I have played both side by side at low volumes and the 120Ti's don't do that as well..:)