PDA

View Full Version : Overpriced!

JBL 4645
08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I’ve seen some ridiculously overpriced loudspeakers before but these KEF dipolar surrounds at nearly £4grand for pair no way, absolutely not.

KEF Model 206/2ds Loudspeaker (Pair) - American Walnut £ 3,995.00 *
KEF Model 206/2ds Loudspeaker (Pair) - Piano Black £ 3,995.00 *
KEF Model 206/2ds Loudspeaker (Pair) - Gloss Cherry £3,995.00 *
KEF Model 206/2ds Loudspeaker (Pair) - Satin Sycamore £ 2,995.00 *

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resources/products/image1/model206_2ds.jpg

No pun on KEF I like there sub bass range but given the specifications for these is just taking the piss.

SPECIFICATIONS
* Design - 3 way closed box
* Drive Units LF: 1 x 200 mm (8in.)
* MF: 2 x 165 mm (6.5in.)
* HF: 2 x 25 mm (1in.)
* Frequency response at 15° horizontally off axis ±3 dB 65 Hz - 60 kHz
* Bass Extension -6 dB 55 Hz (oh wow big deal at nearly £4grand)
* Crossover frequencies 250 Hz, 2.3 kHz
* Amplifier requirements - 50 - 200 W
* Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) - 88 dB
* Maximum output - 110 dB
* Impedance - 8 ? (3.2 ? min)
* Magnetic shielding - Yes
* Weight - 11.6 Kg (25.5 lbs)
* Dimensions (H x W x D) 324 x 400 x 200 mm

These surrounds would be suited for my cat rather than for human audio listening I mean 60KHz how many humans can hear up to 60 f%()kingKHz I don’t know of anyone that can, except dogs and cats and passing bat flying overhead!

They would be better off extending the frequency response down as low as it would allow the system rather than wasting on silly high frequency response.

Yes I’m cheap bastard and I like cheap, cheap honest deals not prices that are going to burn hole in the bank account and have the wife coming after you with an axe, after she finds out you spent £4k on pair of tiny surrounds speakers that are best suited for family cats hearing range!

Maybe I should become the world’s first cheap bastard entrepreneur making high quality dogs bollocks loudspeakers for £100.00 pounds.:p

jbl_daddy
08-17-2010, 03:03 AM
But they say reference on the bottom...

clmrt
08-17-2010, 03:36 AM
...on a surround speaker?

I suppose the hi-buck dudes might still have double-stacked CRTs, but I can't see a real-world need.

JBL 4645
08-17-2010, 11:09 AM
But they say reference on the bottom...

Yeah “reference” I guess they’d use any BS word to sale something these days.:p

Referenced for what? A bet bats hearing range?

I think they added on one too many 000 maybe they mean 65 to 6KHz at least that frequency is bit more easier to pick-up on over 60,000KHz I mean 20KHz is hard enough and most films don’t go that high the most I’ve noticed is around 16KHz on effects high frequencies and rarely does that often come around in films.

Music, I don’t think any string instruments goes that high.

Cinema speakers don’t even run that high that and still has serve a large audience.

Also home THX normally has roll off on the high frequencies so WTF!

hjames
08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Why do you even wail on stuff that's outside your price range ...?
Who cares .. ??

I mean, it'd be nice to hear and enjoy a pair of Everest speakers, but I'm not going to quibble over price or whether its outside my budget for audio gear.
It just is, right?

... just like a Veyron - like lots of things that amuse me without requiring me to argue over price ... appreciate it or don't but why pee on things you wouldn't be in the market for anyway ... its just bad taste!

Learn some patience, get some tolerance ...

jerry_rig
08-17-2010, 04:52 PM
... just like a Veyron - like lots of things that amuse me without requiring me to argue over price ... appreciate it or don't but why pee on things you wouldn't be in the market for anyway ... its just bad taste!

Speaking of Veyrons and bad taste... My wife and I were in London last week and this pulled up in front of our hotel. A chrome plated Veyron.

Audiobeer
08-25-2010, 08:16 PM
And I still consider it one of my finest purchases. Used Paypal to buy it! :D

Maron Horonzakz
08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
My dog would pee on the wheels.

SEAWOLF97
08-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Why would you need magnetic sheilding...

...on a surround speaker?.

MY HT room layout is weird and non conducive to normal setup...the mains are R & L of the listening position (aimed towards me ) and surrounds are to the R & L of the monitor

its all a function of sizes and space and actually works quite well.;)