PDA

View Full Version : JBL LE8 drivers

MMudge
08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I bought a pair of Lancer 33 speakers a few days ago and with the help of "Grumpy" was able to track down some pertinent info.

I don't know if these drivers were scaled back back for cost reasons but they have no Gucci covers on the magnet assembly, no metal dust cover and the cone is black.

Grumpy sent me a pic of an old ad showing the very same speaker so I know it's the real deal. The back of the cone is stamped, LE-8-101. The serial numbers on the cabinets are earlier than any shown in the registry; 003348 and 003362.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with these drivers and comparisson to the LE-8-T. They do need to be refoamed and the voice coils appear to be okay. Are the current foam DIY kits okay? The OEM seems quite thick in comparison.
Thank you,

Mike

57BELAIRE
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Those are among the sweetest sounding of the LE8's especially the ones with the "sandpaper"
like cones,and no foilcal .
Incidently, those are aluminum centerdomes....just painted black with the cones

Good luck with them!

MMudge
08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Those are among the sweetest sounding of the LE8's especially the ones with the "sandpaper"
like cones,and no foilcal .
Incidently, those are aluminum centerdomes....just painted black with the cones

Good luck with them!

Mine would be exactly as you described. It will be nice to hear them I'm sure. Just gotta wait for the new foam kit:D

Mike