PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for a good JBL authorized recone shop

SoCalBob
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I am sending off a pair of JBL 2121s to get new factory cones and need a recommendation for a good shop. I am in Southern California, but have no problem shipping across country. In the past, I have used Orange County Speaker repair, but when an LE8T came back with a paper center cap, the foam on the top of the cone and the back label 'sandpapered' into illegibility, I figured it was time to go elsewhere.
Has anyone had experience with either Wizards Electronics in Kansas, or Simply Speakers in Fla?
Any insights would be greatly appreciated and thanks,
Bob

BMWCCA
08-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Lucky for you: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28755-D140R-s-keep-and-recone-or-replace&p=291123&viewfull=1#post291123

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?2021-edgewound

:thmbsup:

grumpy
08-10-2010, 05:13 AM
+1 highly recommended

But I'd call first to make sure recone kits are available, or find out when they might be...

rdgrimes
08-10-2010, 06:18 AM
I am sending off a pair of JBL 2121s to get new factory cones and need a recommendation for a good shop. I am in Southern California, but have no problem shipping across country. In the past, I have used Orange County Speaker repair, but when an LE8T came back with a paper center cap, the foam on the top of the cone and the back label 'sandpapered' into illegibility, I figured it was time to go elsewhere.
Has anyone had experience with either Wizards Electronics in Kansas, or Simply Speakers in Fla?
Any insights would be greatly appreciated and thanks,
Bob
Wizards has treated me well in the past for electronics repair. They are slow however.

Mr. Widget
08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
+1 highly recommended

But I'd call first to make sure recone kits are available, or find out when they might be...I also would highly recommend Edgewound... he is as dedicated and picky as Mr. Lansing himself.

Widget

jswanson57
08-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Here's a link for Edgewound at Upland Loudspeaker Service:

www.uplandloudspeaker.com (http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com)

Jeff

hjames
08-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I also would highly recommend Edgewound... he is as dedicated and picky as Mr. Lansing himself.

Widget

But a lot more lively!

scott fitlin
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
What everyone else said! You just won't get any better than Ken aka Edgewound! Ken will recone your JBL, as good as the factory first assembled them. And, IT DOES MAKE AN AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE! When a driver is reconed, if the voice coil is not sitting in the exact spot and position it is supposed to the driver does not transduce signal properly. Upland Speaker does the work properly, your woofer/woofers will come back and sound their best.

SoCalBob
08-10-2010, 09:42 PM
All:
Thanks for the advice. I have an e-mail off to edgewound and expect to hear from him when he returns from Vacation. It's great to hear that he takes pride in his work and you all have so much faith in him.

As I noted, I have experienced that feeling of deep depression far too often lately when I receive one of my prize JBLs back from a 'JBL AUTHORIZED WARRANTY' center with incorrect parts, damage to the finish, missing/ heavily scratched labels, or with the foam sloppily glued to the wrong side of the cone. It wears a guy down....

Thanks again and best wishes,
Bob