PDA

View Full Version : WT-3 testing of 2204, Fs higher in sealed box???

mtchyz250f
08-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I tested the JBL 2204 free air and got results similar to the specs, Fs was 39Hz. I put the speaker in a 1 cu ft box and the Fs dropped to 14Hz???? According to UniBox I should of had a Fb around 75Hz or so.

I tested it several times, same results. The only difference is the box and 4 ft of speaker wire.

I have tested subs free air, sealed box, and ported and got results that were predicted. So I 'think' my test method is ok.

Help

4313B
08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Use WT2. WT3 is junk. I still have my WT2 (and WT1). My WT3 went into the trash.

mtchyz250f
08-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Why did you toss it, because it broke or was it inaccurate?

4313B
08-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Inaccurate. I obtained a different set of data everytime I tested it whereas the WT2 was able to duplicate data sets within reason.

spkrman57
08-08-2010, 11:44 AM
WT3 is a Chinese clone.

Ron

Robh3606
08-08-2010, 11:51 AM
whereas the WT2 was able to duplicate data sets within reason.

That's my expereince as well.

Rob:)

mtchyz250f
08-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Well...that sucks. All I can do now is assume that the Fs did not go up and the speaker is behaving as UniBox says it shouls...and try to buy a WT2.

Thanks.

badman
08-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I've not had the issues you guys have had- most issues I've seen with WT3 is people not correctly setting up the system.

That said I do wish it were a little more powerful.

doucanoe
08-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Use WT2. WT3 is junk. I still have my WT2 (and WT1). My WT3 went into the trash.

Great :(

RC

HCSGuy
08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I've had good luck with woofers, but I re-calibrate WT3 every time I use it. I just got an email this morning that there is new WT3 software available. A brief glance seems to indicate it is changes for compatibility with W7 and not necessarily performance changes, but I may have missed something. Back to work...

mtchyz250f
08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
I hook up the W3 to my LT and calibrate. After that I may do 10 -15 tests. Is this wrong?

badman
08-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I hook up the W3 to my LT and calibrate. After that I may do 10 -15 tests. Is this wrong?

Only if your tests are inconsistent. People sometimes don't give it a second to refresh after a sweep and that can cause issues. Or they don't have their soundcard set right, or volume maxed.

I think you're fine so long as you get consistency.

westend
08-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Great :(

RCHey Ron, cross-topic thread going on over here: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1832521&posted=1#post1832521
I have been saved from getting the WT3, thanks!:D

doucanoe
08-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey Ron, cross-topic thread going on over here: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1832521&posted=1#post1832521
I have been saved from getting the WT3, thanks!:D

Actually, for my applications to date it has proven pretty close to other published parameters for the drivers I have tested. I will say this though, I have ended up sweeping 3 or so times to get similar readings in a row. I had taken to recalibrating every time I use it also.

RC

speakerdave
09-15-2011, 11:46 PM
I've put off commenting about this because I hoped that the players in the hobby I enjoy would rise above an unworthy impulse and bring about a correction of this glimpse into the seamy side of Adam Smith worship, and though this is an old thread, the situation still exists, so I think it is worth the trouble to try to make people aware.

I have to say, the whole business with WT2 and the WT3 saddens me. I have no inside information about the sequence of events. I only know what I perceive as a potential customer. PE used to sell WT2, supplied by its developers, Smith and Larson. Suddenly there was a WT3 and no WT2 in sight. I and apparently a lot of other people thought the new item was a successor product. Giving PE the benefit of the doubt I also considered it possible that it was the Smith and Larson product with a house label, and that they were still the makers and had a share in the business that way. But, nooo!!! It was in fact "designed" and made by someone else, whether specifically for PE or not I don't know.

I have no idea whether or not the WT3 has any technically innovative reason for existing. But, the willingness of its maker to sidle up to the Smith and Larson market with its too-similar product name erases any interest I might have. It looks to me like an attempt to horn in on the market of a good-quality and successful product with an apparently very similar, even improved, but in reality merely an imitative, product at an undercutting price. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I have a feeling this was devastating to that legitimate business. I have the WT2, I have not tried the WT3, nor will I. The name of the ME TOO product is obviously very close to that of the original, close enough to result in confusion that brings buyers to the WT3 who think they are getting a new product by Smith and Larson and who otherwise may have no interest in the WT3 whatsoever. Many have posted on various websites that when they bought the WT3 they thought they were getting an update of WT2 from its makers. I've seen highly legalistic defenses of this stratagem, but I think it stinks. Obviously it could have been called something else--Parameter Pumper or Spec Sucker or Chiseling Copy or FS Fresser or WTPeking or any of a number of other things, but somehow they chose "WT3." Pathetic, really. The whole episode has soured me on PE--that is, its willingness to bully an innovator in its industry, a company that is perhaps a catalyst in the growth of other areas of its business, one of its own suppliers! For the sake of what I would have to think is a very small increment in its overall profit! These days I look elsewhere for the parts I need.

Beyond that, readers of this forum should recognize that it has been this same kind of poaching that has for decades plagued JBL.

The Smith and Larson product is still available, I believe still undergoing innovation and refinement, and may be obtained at the Woofer Tester website (and perhaps elsewhere):

http://www.woofertester.com/

Sincerely,

John L. Sullivan, III

4313B
09-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Suddenly there was a WT3 and no WT2 in sight. I and apparently a lot of other people thought the new item was a successor product.Yeah, I got suckered... I should have emailed Larson before clicking the add to cart button.

Mr. Widget
09-16-2011, 12:18 AM
I've never used either product, but I agree with you Dave, that is a pretty piss poor way to run a business.

Widget