PDA

View Full Version : Idiotic Packers

RedCoat23
08-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I know I'm not the first person to experience this, and I'm damn sure I won't be the last, but this is the first time I've had the misfortune to suffer idiotic packing of a heavy item bought from the bay.

I picked up a pair of 2225h's one was in okay condition, the other had a torn cone. I was okay with that, because I planned on reconing them to 2235h spec - I have a pristine pair of 2235h's already, and these were going to join them since I'm cloning a pair of the 4355.

However, they were packed in an old box, way too big for the speakers, face to face - not zip tied or bolted together, wrapped a few times in bubble wrap and then put in with packing peanuts... :banghead:

So the one with the torn cone...now has a cracked frame to go with it...
Fortunately the other survived. Makes me wonder if the torn cone already had a weak frame. Aluminum can be brittle I know...

I'll post some pics when I bring my camera back into work later.

The first tear was already there...but given the proximity to the crack, it makes me wonder if it wasn't already damaged.

This is the good cone...seems like it's okay. There's a bit of bird crap on the edge, but it's being reconed so I don't mind.

So I don't know if he insured these or not, I sent a question now waiting for an answer.

Sigh so I guess I need to find another 15 I can recone to 2235h spec now.

EDIT: No reply as of yet...

Jason

subwoof
08-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Be sure to check the other frame on a known, flat surface ( remove the gasket first ) to be sure that it isn't warped. I have a pile of bent frames for the scrapper from similar packing horror stories.

When I buy used 15's I send the seller a real box to ship them in. the extra few bucks up front means a real reduction in headaches later.

sub

scott fitlin
08-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Redcoat, I feel your pain, I sympathize. This has happened to all of us. And this is also one of the reasons I HATE places like ebay, but, it has also happened to me buying used woofers from stores, too.

Sorry for you troubles.

Altec Best
08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I always ask questions to the seller.And clearly state what kind of packing you expect from them, if packed ridiculously and they arrive Destroyed Negative feedback will be left most definitely.Most people don't want that.And will take the precautions of packing well, but occasionally you run into people like this.Woofers are what I worry about most when shipping, as they are too fragile.I feel for you Man !! ;) Kind Regards ~ John

Added: It seems Scott Beat me too it!

lgvenable
08-07-2010, 08:30 AM
if the folks on the other end dont want to pack the speaker my way.If not; then I dont buy. You have to establish the ground rules up front.
I feel your pain, I've bought one woofer on the Bay, and received something completely difdferent.

The first thing to do is go to the dispute/resolution center, and file a complaint. If you used PayPal, they are useful, since they'll make the culprit pay them back, after in one of my cases reimbursing me immediately.

I bought a BGW mono-triamp of the Bay. problem was I didn't look at it immediately; when I did, I realized the inside wiring was cut in 50% of the connections!! :eek: Non functional for 250.00!! Of course the seller said I must have misunderstood. All I know is ..hardly..I ask lots of questions; and I don't buy non-functional anything for 250.

The folks at PayPal got my money for me immediately. Fire off that dispute, and you'll probably get your bucks back.

RedCoat23
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Well still no reply...

My biggest frustration about this, is that these woofers are in finite supply - whilst for the moment we can recone them to extend their life - once they die like this, they're gone for good; and with no sign of ever getting any more we all suffer for the loss to our dear hobby.

I'm giving him one more day, then I'm putting in a dispute, because I feel this was cracked when he sent it...and that he deliberately put it in crappy packaging so an insurance claim could be filed.

The impact point on the side of the basket is clean and shiny, indicating it hit a hard surface (metal/concrete) rather being damaged through the sides of the box.

Well I got a line on a couple of other 2225's that need reconing for $50 each, so I'll probably get a pair and have one as a spare.

Altec Best
08-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Well still no reply...

My biggest frustration about this, is that these woofers are in finite supply - whilst for the moment we can recone them to extend their life - once they die like this, they're gone for good; and with no sign of ever getting any more we all suffer for the loss to our dear hobby.

I'm giving him one more day, then I'm putting in a dispute, because I feel this was cracked when he sent it...and that he deliberately put it in crappy packaging so an insurance claim could be filed.

The impact point on the side of the basket is clean and shiny, indicating it hit a hard surface (metal/concrete) rather being damaged through the sides of the box.

Well I got a line on a couple of other 2225's that need reconing for $50 each, so I'll probably get a pair and have one as a spare.

Ebay will make you wait a week anyway for the seller to respond but I would start working on that draft while all the facts are still fresh in your mind. Best of Luck with it.I've had good luck with refunds once ebay see's that frame you will get a refund IMHO :yes:

Guy in WNY
08-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I've had a couple of things come from ebay busted up - no luck at all in trying to satisfy me. It's as if ebay does not care one little, tiny, itty bitty bit for the woe's of the consumer. If I can get it ANYPLACE else, I do so now.
Been burned on ebay twice; it's not going to happen a third time.
Ebay reminds me of a used car lot!
Buyer Beware!

SpeakerLabFan
08-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Well still no reply...

Exactly. Its sickening hearing these stories of vintage stuff destroyed by inadequate packing, i.e. drop into a box with bubble wrap and foam peanuts, and to think how much of this stuff is lost forever on a regular basis.

SEAWOLF97
08-08-2010, 10:25 AM
. drop into a box with bubble wrap and foam peanuts,

I searched for a year for my BGW 203 preamp ....the sellers auction proudly proclaimed "professional packing"...

it came in a CRT monitor box with some peanuts thrown in ... not even full. Luckily it is 23 pounds and I dont think the PO could toss it around...no damage other than peanut chunks inside the vent slots. :bouncy:

Soon thereafter his eBay acct was gone ....

JBL 4645
08-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Holy f%cking sh!t! To see the cone crushed in would be one thing, but not the basket being cracked in half! What did they use to mail this a fucking elephant?:screwy:

Well as for the bird shit. I have another theory. Maybe it was giant fucking Condor sat on it!

I’m wondering is not possible to (spot weld) it together?

You need to black-list the seller on eBay after getting your money back.

SMKSoundPro
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I was watching this pair of 2225's on ebay and did not bid on them. Now I know why.

Question: When you cut the cone out, is the top plate shifted from the obvious impact that this one driver received?

Comment: I have been known to take a motor assembly from a 2225 that was in good shape and marry it to a good basket from a crappy E130 with a shifted motor. The result is a working driver. ("parts is parts")

Yes, I feel your pain, and can hope that you will recover from this. It really has happened to (probably) many of us in some way.

Scotty.

RedCoat23
08-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Well still no response today (and that's 4 days since they arrived) so I've put the case in.

I totally understand all the comments relating to the risks of shipping. I think it's hard because if we were to wait for something locally then who knows how long it would take to get projects finished...and I know I'm already slack at finishing things... :p

Anyway I'll keep you posted with the progression of the case.

Regards

Jason

RedCoat23
08-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Update:

Well ebay have resolved it - I'm shipping them back for a full refund. Fortunately I've secured Audiobeer's 2235H's so I wont even have to recone those. :D

Jason

scott fitlin
08-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Update:

Well ebay have resolved it - I'm shipping them back for a full refund. Fortunately I've secured Audiobeer's 2235H's so I wont even have to recone those. :D

JasonGOOD FOR U! And Beers 2235,s will arrive intact, because Beer will pack them properly.

JeffW
08-11-2010, 12:26 PM
It's not just individuals off Ebay, either. I recently shared my close call with a packing disaster from... Harman, Inc.

Luckily, my drivers were still intact, but if they'd made one more transfer I don't see how they could have survived.

And that was my 2nd close call. A pair of 2245s shipped face-to-face with cheap zip ties (that all broke, but didn't puncture surround or cone) holding them together was another speaker squeaker.

scott fitlin
08-11-2010, 04:48 PM
A pair of 2245s shipped face-to-face with cheap zip ties (that all broke, but didn't puncture surround or cone) holding them together was another speaker squeaker.I argue with people all the time that FACE TO FACE tie wrapped or bolted together is THE WRONG WAY TO PACK AND SHIP SPEAKERS!

I understand individuals that sell their used gear from home doing things wrong, many people really don't know what is the right way to do things!

BUT when a manufacturer packs wrong?

JeffW
08-11-2010, 05:15 PM
I have since sent both 2245s to Edgewound for reconing, but one at a time. I sent them inside a double walled box, bolted to a board the same size as the box, with a 4 layer cardboard cylinder that fit the back of the flange and was the same height as the box. With packing around the OD of the cylinder. Both made the round trip with nary a scratch. It also cost ~$40 each way, per speaker. But since I wasn't trying to maximize profit, and Ken wanted the speakers to arrive just as they left, that was just a cost that had to be accounted for.

Another shout out to Ken. Perfect work.

Audiobeer
08-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the purchase. They are on the way! 61 lbs packed! Enjoy! :)

RedCoat23
08-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Awesome!

Thanks a lot Audiobeer... That'll teach me for ignoring my gut and bidding on something I didn't have a good feeling about...:blink:

Jason

rgwalker
08-16-2010, 07:46 PM
So the one with the torn cone...now has a cracked frame to go with it...

The first tear was already there...but given the proximity to the crack, it makes me wonder if it wasn't already damaged.

You probably don't care by now but the crack looks too clean to be old and especially considering how dirty the speakers are. All it takes is one good bump of metal to metal to crack a frame.

Packing isn't rocket science but it is common sense.

Bob W

RedCoat23
08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey Bob,

I'm not that concerned any more you're right. But that said the flash from the camera actually makes the crack look fresher than it is. In normal daylight it's sufficiently oxidized to indicate it's not that fresh. I had a good long look at that crack when they first arrived. I've spent enough time with Aluminum to know it doesn't oxidize that quickly.

Secondly you could argue coincidence, but it's almost as though that tear in the cone visible in the photograph is a fault line leading directly to the crack...Out of the entire 360 degrees it could have happened, it went there..? Even if I was being kind and saying the metal was weakened by whatever mishap caused the tear, that should have been indicated during the sale. Good conscience would (should) dictate that you examine these things before you sell. However, that crack is oxidized and the two woofers were bound together with no protection between them. If that had happened during transit, I really can't see how the other woofer had zero marks on it (frame edge included).

Finally when it comes to packing, it's amazing how UN-common, common sense really is :confused:

Best Regards

Jason