PDA

View Full Version : 4343 - My first post

SebastopolSlim
08-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi,

I have a pair of 4343s that I purchased new in 1977. They've spent the last few years with my dad, but since he passed away, I've decided it's time to bring them home.

Naturally, I looked at the foam surrounds, took the drivers out, and they are going to Orange County Speakers next week for a re-edge.

I do wonder if it is worth spending a bunch of extra dollars to upgrade the speakers to "H", which I understand is possible. But the cones are otherwise pristine, with low, easy hours on them.

One of the reasons I originally gave them to my dad was to get them out of my way. I couldn't sell them for anything near what I paid for them (THAT has changed) and I wanted to go on the quest for 'IT'.

In retrospect, I would have done better by getting a better amp. I did the same thing with a few guitars before I figured out it was the amp I didn't like. Hmmm, I wonder what stupid thing I'm doing today that I wish I wasn't. :)

Anyway, I still have them, which is something of a miracle and after buzzing through some of the threads, it looks like there are some nice improvements that can be made to the crossovers, relocating the tweeter, etc.

Anyway, this is a great site, which you already now and I'm grateful for it.

Triumph Don
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Great story! Welcome to the forum. We all want our JBL's to be better after reading this site!

First step after the big guys have come home, let's make sure you get the "good in-bad out" thing out of the way. Source, pre amp, amp. !4 gauge speaker wire will do forever.

Listen, and enjoy!

grumpy
08-06-2010, 06:59 AM
upgrade to "H"? meaning go from Alnico to ceramic magnets? (I wouldn't, myself)

Why not just have them re-charged while you're getting them refoamed?

Nice that you were able to keep them in the family all this time. :)

DavidF
08-06-2010, 08:22 PM
upgrade to "H"? meaning go from Alnico to ceramic magnets? (I wouldn't, myself)

Why not just have them re-charged while you're getting them refoamed?

Nice that you were able to keep them in the family all this time. :)

Can they be re-charged with the cones still in the basket? Not sure, something in the back of my mind says no.

By the way there are a couple of good spots up north here to have some good recone jobs done. If you are not fixed on OC then give us a nod for the names. Be sure OC attaches the new surrounds to the back of the cones. Sometimes they don't respect our finicky (but appropriate) preference for this alignment.

grumpy
08-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Can they be re-charged with the cones still in the basket?Apparently:

http://vancouveraudiospeakerclinic.com/alnico.html

... pretty sure a member here had OCS recharge a reconed unit that didn't
measure to spec with just the recone :).

Does seem like if it was done wrong, very bad things could happen :eek: