PDA

View Full Version : RE Gaussing when and how

Bassmec
08-08-2004, 07:33 AM
I have got a few JBL drivers that are Alnico allthough none are showing any signs of needing a recone. I was thinking that alnico magnets do dissipate a bit and can you advise me where to go to get this done and can any loudspeaker factory do this with the speaker intact. As I live in Ipswich I thought I might be able to beg a quick remag out of Celestion. Is this a possibility technically. Also I have seen some caps for dc protection sold under the name Wimslow Audio. In my horn cabs I have the old 4850 type hi pass
with two Mexican 20mf/250V Caps + 1 2.2mf/250v but I now leave that bit up to a DCS260. Is there an advantage in buying brand new 40uf/650v SuperCaps or would I do better with two 20uf/650v Supercaps in Parralell
Was there a reason that they had two smaller in Paralell. Also how good do
mexican metalised poly film stay. Must be time for a chainge out The newest ones are 1988.
I am so happy to have just joined this site as there is so much expertise available. I havent Joined before although I have read lots. You see even though my equipment is really quite old it seems to work fine. So I don't fiddle
much in fact I kind of wish I had the newer DCS 280 as I could have forgotten the password by now and not be able to fiddle. As when I do fiddle I play the same recording for hours or really interesting pink noise and it drives the missus insane.

Mr. Widget
08-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Bassmec
I have got a few JBL drivers that are Alnico allthough none are showing any signs of needing a recone. I was thinking that alnico magnets do dissipate a bit and can you advise me where to go to get this done and can any loudspeaker factory do this with the speaker intact. As I live in Ipswich I thought I might be able to beg a quick remag out of Celestion. Is this a possibility technically.

As when I do fiddle I play the same recording for hours or really interesting pink noise and it drives the missus insane.

To remagnetize a speaker you essentially place the whole driver in a powerful magnetic field and it gets charged back to it's full potential. If you could sweet talk your way in at the Celestion factory I would assume they would be able to do the work for you. If you have the equipment it is a simple and straight forward process.

As for the insane Mrs., .... well I know what you mean. Funny thing is she thinks I am the one with the problem. :D

Widget

johnaec
08-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
As for the insane Mrs., .... well I know what you mean. Funny thing is she thinks I am the one with the problem. :D

Widget 'Just tell her to imagine the pink noise is a beautiful waterfall, and it's so loud because you're live, out in the beautiful woods... :rolleyes:

I've got a couple different "nature" CDs - it's really funny playing the ones with birds on them - my cat goes nuts trying to find out where in the house they are...:p

John

Bassmec
08-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Dear All
Thanks for the info I think charming Celestion employees to do JBL remag jobs is a job for the Insane one. She has the charm thing sorted.
I on the other hand tend not to be able to get much help partly because they
know of me of old. I was mates with the old technical director and he committed the ultimate sin and went off to work for Tannoy in Scotland.
I am a very bad influence.
Also I did not get on very well with the full range cone SR1 design team.
After I demonstrated that a Fender Super Reverb Guitar amp you know the one with the JBL D120F signature series was a lot louder clean than an SRI PA cab with a Celestion nine hundred watt amp clipping. I have been a Lansing nut since age 7 when I went to a Local Bowling alley that had a Seeburg Juke box with Seeburg Cabs With Altec Lansing drivers. I made a bee line for the speakers and my family says stood transfixed for hours listening to a clarity of sound that was amazing at that time. I have collected the drivers and cabs over the years and have had some well silly big monitors. They are banned from the control room now because they are too big and too loud so they have to live in the drum room now. With the other uncivilised noisy stuff.
Regards Bassmec