PDA

View Full Version : JBL 250 TI Monster speakers

Alicia
08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi there!:)

I picked up these speakers last week, and and umsure of any info on them. they are from 83-or 84 (date is on the back somewhere)

They are being refoamed I believe (a 2 weeks process by a local audio repair person qualified to do so) as they clearly needed it..

The main reason i'm here is to ask you, if we were to consider selling them, what to ask for them.

All I've found thus far is that they are superb, considered some of the best speakers JBL has ever made, and last, but not least the last set I saw on the net sold for 2500+ USD... (however it was not stated if orig, or not, etc)

Thank you for your time and expertise.

I kind of wish we'd keep these and I could talk him into selling my B&o redline speakers, or the Klipsch cornwalls. we needs more speakers like a hole in the head around here....

sample of the speakers. ours have a black screen i believe, and they are the teak veneer. One of the cabs has a good scrastch and alittle chunk missing. i'll grade the cabs a n 8.5 out of a 10. :)

http://audio-database.com/JBL/speaker/250ti-e.html

I will take pics of mine later and post them :)

Audiobeer
08-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd toss it on Ebay and put a $1500 reserve and see what happens.

rdgrimes
08-04-2010, 11:14 AM
If you're serious about selling, drop me a PM. I'd be willing to drive over and get them.

Alicia
08-04-2010, 12:31 PM
If you're serious about selling, drop me a PM. I'd be willing to drive over and get them.

Yes, we are serious about selling them. We got them friday, and my husband called his audipphile guy..., and took them to him friday as well. he said it'll be 2 weeks for him to finish refoaming (why so long? LOL?) :)

we live in Tucson, and pick up is certainly an option. :)

you can PM me as well.

we were FLOORED finding these selling for 2500, and I found another set sold for 3100.00

Just, unreal...

Alicia
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
a few years ago we undersold some c 36's... lol he wants to kill me for that,,,,:D

louped garouv
08-04-2010, 12:50 PM
a few years ago we undersold some c 36's... lol he wants to kill me for that,,,,:D

if you can find a semi-local buyer, with an amount agreeable to you both...
i suggest taking the deal...

sometimes it's difficult to find a buyer willing to shell out for both desirable speakers and a hefty shipping charge...

not to say it doesn't happen, but it is much easier to have someone hand you cash, and load them up in their vehicle....

sometimes the high end of the spectrum is populated with folks that have been waiting many years to pick up something they want close to them... lots of horror stories with shipping companies....

Alicia
08-04-2010, 01:04 PM
if you can find a semi-local buyer, with an amount agreeable to you both...
i suggest taking the deal...

sometimes it's difficult to find a buyer willing to shell out for both desirable speakers and a hefty shipping charge...

not to say it doesn't happen, but it is much easier to have someone hand you cash, and load them up in their vehicle....

sometimes the high end of the spectrum is populated with folks that have been waiting many years to pick up something they want close to them... lots of horror stories with shipping companies....

I agree, and we're willing to compromise. packaging would be a *biotch* Likely it'd be a cstuo crate job... Hopefully, it can be a meet and greet pick up :D

I'll post pics shortly. must go get food then come back and snap pics :D (ignore my messed yp background)

JeffW
08-04-2010, 01:10 PM
we were FLOORED finding these selling for 2500, and I found another set sold for 3100.00

Just, unreal...

You understand that to fetch those prices, they will have to be correct in pretty much every way. Nice cabinets are a plus, but correct/unmolested drivers and crossovers will be the only way you'd ever get anywhere near $2500 or $3100. And I don't think they'd bring either of those figures in today's market.

Alicia
08-04-2010, 01:22 PM
You understand that to fetch those prices, they will have to be correct in pretty much every way. Nice cabinets are a plus, but correct/unmolested drivers and crossovers will be the only way you'd ever get anywhere near $2500 or $3100. And I don't think they'd bring either of those figures in today's market.

Definitely know condition will be a factor, case, everything... :)

Aiming for as close to 2 as possible. but flexible, nonetheless.

We're just glad, to FINALLY find somehwere, where people KNOW what they are.

You all ROCK!

will show pics shortly.. finally get to go have lunch:D

louped garouv
08-04-2010, 01:27 PM
by the by, and i am not sure if this is even appliable to your particular speakers...
but if they are out for a 're-foam' job, it would eb a good idea to check to see which side of the cone the gasket is affixed to, and make sure it's done the same way...

i know that there are certain JBL speakers where the foam edge is affixed to the rear profile of the cone, and some folks will not accept foam affixed to the face of the cone...

that goes back to "correct in every way" as mentioned above

JeffW
08-04-2010, 02:45 PM
by the by, and i am not sure if this is even appliable to your particular speakers...
but if they are out for a 're-foam' job, it would eb a good idea to check to see which side of the cone the gasket is affixed to, and make sure it's done the same way...

i know that there are certain JBL speakers where the foam edge is affixed to the rear profile of the cone, and some folks will not accept foam affixed to the face of the cone...

that goes back to "correct in every way" as mentioned above

Yep, and since the LE14H-1 drivers are getting pretty scarce, and re-cone kits for them even scarcer (if available at all), screwing up a pair with a foam-on-the-front job will likely crush the prospective re-sale value.

SEAWOLF97
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM

agreed.

one of our Chicago members won an eBay auction for a pair couple of months ago ...needed refoaming, but I remember that the cosmetics were fine...think he paid approx $1,400 ....they wud have to be dead-on perfect/in original boxes/and signed by Greg to make $3100 :confused: (IMHO)

Dont spend that profit b4 it's "InHand"

Alicia
08-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I told me husband, prett much the same thing, on value, they do have some issues, case, etc.. But nothing over the top.. and I found them anyway, so I get to decide what to sell them for, not him! Not kidding he has soo many speakers and systems, i can no longer keep track. but i do know, he isn't using hardly ANY, but the klipsh... argh..:bouncy: and to be honest i'd be happy with 1500 ish, maybe even less. i just want them to go to a GOOD home. :)

I have no doubt, the gentleman doing the repairs will do a great job, and do them properly, he's the go to guy in Tucson on items other's would be terrified of... :D

working on cropping my quick and dirty pics.. please ignore the carp in the background... TOO

Alicia
08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Okay, Clearly it's one speaker that has the "brunt" of the damage that is there... and i do have some talents with teak & some other woods, so i can clean these up (have yet to do much)

the part that's geting refoamed is dated sept. 11th 1984... :)

Okay, qucik and dirty pics are here, password is babies :)

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/azalicia1/JBL/

JeffW
08-04-2010, 06:13 PM
The tweeter on these is OOP, and you've got one with troubles. Plus, one of the 108s is damaged (assuming that the other tweeter and 108 are undamaged, and the woofers are clean after refoam, and the 104s are good to go).

The downside of finding a site where people know what you have, is that they will also know what you have.

This pair will need a lot more than a little cabinet touch up to even get into the 4 figure range IMHO.

SEAWOLF97
08-04-2010, 06:25 PM
This pair will need a lot more than a little cabinet touch up to even get into the 4 figure range IMHO.

yup, they got whacked pretty hard , a little Formby's won't do it....since you came here looking for valuations ( & w/o the benefit of a demo) ..I would guess $1K or less.

I hate to say this , BUT ...if all drivers work , it may be worth more parted...that crushed 044Ti hurts, edge smash is major and how in the world did they break out the back by the foilcal ? :eek:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/azalicia1/JBL/jbl6.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/azalicia1/JBL/jbl5.jpg

Punch
08-04-2010, 07:16 PM
$1283 on ebay about 8 months ago....these are darn near perfect, and they only needed foam on the 14's.

Music room...old pic....rack is finally situated.

Punch
08-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I agree with Seawolf and others....that 044Ti is going to $$$, the finish needs more than wax/polish, and the 104H needs to be repaired. It is very very difficult to remove that dust cap, and it is next to impossible to find replacement/NOS dust caps.

I hope it works out for you.

Alicia
08-04-2010, 07:28 PM
$1283 on ebay about 8 months ago....these are darn near perfect, and they only needed foam on the 14's.

Music room...old pic....rack is finally situated.

NICE!:D

Foilcage? I'm lost....The back sticker made in Northridge is peeling off the back of that one, but no hole or break.

The damage to the one cabinet is pretty heartbreaking.

I Am so grateful for your expertise and opinions on these. TRULY. if need be, we an part it ou... leave that as a worse case scenario.

I will try to clean them up, see what *I * can accomplish there, when I goet the other parts back, i'll make a video (post it too) with them hooked up. Just don't know what he'll choose to use. :D

I feel like i'm forgetting to say something else,(gah!) besides a huge THANK YOU!:D ...

Will check back :)

Punch
08-04-2010, 07:57 PM
For the cabinets, call David Cotton at the Furniture Connoisseur. They have amazing products for the teak veneer. If he sees some pictures, he can probably steer you in the right direction...a decent furniture repairman should do wonders with the damaged areas as well.

http://www.thefurnitureconnoisseur.com/

rdgrimes
08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
That 108H is dead with the surround apparently separated. Almost impossible to find replacements, re-cone is $112 plus shipping. The 044ti is equally dead. The condition of the LE14Hs remains to be seen (heard) after re-foam, but I'd suspect them till proven otherwise based on the apparent treatment these have had. I'd suggest adding nothing to the veneer finish, they need to be stripped and re-finished with repairs to the damage. Adding any finish to them only complicates that process.

Edited to add: re-cone of both 108H is advised.

Punch
08-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Yep, the tops almost look like raw wood...as stated, they need more than product right now...agreed.

Alicia...just sell them to our amigo rdgrimes for a great price...they'll go to a good home, and he will do right by them :)

SEAWOLF97
08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
sample of the speakers. ours have a black screen i believe, and they are the teak veneer. One of the cabs has a good scrastch and alittle chunk missing. i'll grade the cabs a n 8.5 out of a 10. :) :)

sorry to disagree your assessment, but the cabs look more like 5-6's to me. the drivers, not too much better.

RD can make them 10's again, but it certainly will take lots of TLC and $$$$ ...:(

Yep, the tops almost look like raw wood...as stated, they need more than product right now..

first time I've ever seen plant stains on a 250...looks like the moisture raised the grain ?

rdgrimes
08-05-2010, 06:18 AM
To be honest I'm not sure that I wouldn't just part them out, but the parts would go into my L250s and these might then become L250s. I'd have to take a long look at them to decide. A good winter project to be sure.

Alicia
08-15-2010, 05:03 PM
HI everyone,

Okay, got them back and he the refoaming,just as they had been done originally. Absolutely amazing.

had a few people stop and chekc these out. We were told how to fix the tweeter, that was easy, sound also not affected.

The surround is not dry rotted on either one, and the one just has a small poke hole, recommended you could either redo those (easily for 40) or use black silicone, didn't feel it impacted sound at all, same as tweeters.

We took some time and cleaned up the teak with some products I use on my teak furniture as well, and they have taken on a whole new life. Well, Apart from the most noticeable damage. Overally, they look So different to me.

It does need some replacing in some areas. on top of one, the veneer is lifting because some moron, used BOTH of the tops, as "plant stands" and while both have rings, only one is lifting...

He unhooked them, and put them to the side covered up, but if anyone wanted to hear how these sound, not a problem! And I have taken new pics, and will edit those here shortly, and pos tthem in the library. :)

These are absolutely amazing in sound.