PDA

View Full Version : Altec Dividing Network RECAP Help!

dnpainting
08-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Hello Forum, I have a set of 1964 Altec Networks that have never been serviced. I wanted to do a ReCap on them but I wasn't sure of the best way to remove the black tar substance from them. Is there a chemical spray that will desolve it or loosen it up without damaging the circuit board? Do I just scrape it out? I fear if I try to scrape it out, I will damage something inside. It is layed in there pretty thick. Also, any suggestions on what brand caps to use? And Finally, should I look into new resistors?

Thank you for any advise.

David:o:

louped garouv
08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
i have heard of 'potted' (wax or tar filled) crossover assemblies being gently 'boiled' to loosen the wax...

I suggest using the search function of your browser to get some reading done before charging ahead! :)

good luck!

dnpainting
08-02-2010, 03:24 PM
thank you for the input. I have tried searching and people have suggested a few different things from just scraping carefully and bakeing at 180deg. I've even thought of using a hair dryer or a paint heat gun to soften it up. I will let the forum know the best way that worked for me after I do it. You have a great day!

David