PDA

View Full Version : will reconeing change efficiency ?

kelly0995
07-31-2010, 07:24 PM
i need to have some drivers reconed.......when they do that they change the voice coil , does that change the charecter , sound , or efficiency of the speaker ?

HCSGuy
07-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Assuming you are reconing with factory kits, there will be a permanent but probably slight difference in sound due to manufacturing variations and a temporary change as the new kit will have a tight surround and spider until broken in. It is recommended that you recone drivers in pairs so that these differences are minimized. If you are using aftermarket cones then it will sound different, permanently, though you may decide whether you like it or not.

What drivers are you reconing?

grumpy
07-31-2010, 08:53 PM
If done properly, with OEM parts, it should sound as the mfg intended... which doesn't
directly answer your question. The voice coil (within mfg tolerances) should not be any
different. The fact that the loudspeaker suspension (surround and spider) -are- parts
that can wear, means that if you were to A/B test the old vs. reconed driver(s), you may
very well expect to hear a difference.

If an OEM kit is not available, the picture can change somewhat, including your concern
about the voicecoil.

... and what HCSguy said :)

kelly0995
07-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Assuming you are reconing with factory kits, there will be a permanent but probably slight difference in sound due to manufacturing variations and a temporary change as the new kit will have a tight surround and spider until broken in. It is recommended that you recone drivers in pairs so that these differences are minimized. If you are using aftermarket cones then it will sound different, permanently, though you may decide whether you like it or not.

What drivers are you reconing?
fraizer model 7's.... 12"................i know , there not altec's(but i do have a pair of flemencos)...............
thanx,kelly

DavidF
07-31-2010, 10:13 PM
fraizer model 7's.... 12"................i know , there not altec's(but i do have a pair of flemencos)...............
thanx,kelly

Recone with what is my first question. Can't imagine that there are original spec recone kits around for these. Just don't know. It would be fun to keep these systems alive, though. Any replacement kit could vary enough in spec to allow more efficiency but lower base response. Or it could go the other way. Crap shoot.

kelly0995
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Recone with what is my first question. Can't imagine that there are original spec recone kits around for these. Just don't know. It would be fun to keep these systems alive, though. Any replacement kit could vary enough in spec to allow more efficiency but lower base response. Or it could go the other way. Crap shoot.
thanks david.................... there's real good reason to keep them alive ,i have a pair of the fraizer mark 5's (simalar to the 7's not quite as good) that i paid 150 bucks for and they blow away some very expensive speakers of today.........and very efficent for a 15 watt tube amp.