PDA

View Full Version : Jbl L-100 midrange speaker cone color

santashooter
07-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi there, i am the owner of a pair of JBL L-100 Century, and they are a bit worn, but i am starting a restoration project with them now.
One thing i am wondering is, the midrange driver, seems to be brown on mine, a light brown, and I was positive it was black originally.
But with some searching on the internet for photos, i have seen almost mint condition units with both the black and the brown cone - where there different drivers in use in these speakers?

just so you know what i talk about, here is a link to a site with pictures of drivers, in both color schemes:
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm
the pictures of the mentioned "friend's speakers" and the midrange speaker beneath it, reveals a clear difference in color.

Tomorrow, i will take out the drivers from the cabinet and post any info found there - if this should matter to anyone!

I hope some guru out there knows anything about this!

best regards
Soren Iversen from Denmark!

Don C
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
The color changes with exposure to light. I have seen some that have been behind good grilles for their whole life and they stay nice and dark. But if the grille rots away, and they all do, usually the whole grill is removed afterward. Then the cones can be exposed to sunlight and they lighten.

LE15-Thumper
08-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Don C has it ...fading