PDA

View Full Version : Any idea on 4343 volume attenuator?

pyonc
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi,

I know it all depends on one's musical preferences and tastes, but I still want your wise counsel on the proper volume level for UH, H and Mid frequency level of 4343.
I listen to jazz, both CDs and LPs for some time every day. Currenlty the volume, as you can see in the pic, is set +3 for UH, -2 for H, and over +3 for M. The reason I set the M over +3 is get the most out of the vocals, horn and rhythm instrument sounds. But I'm not sure how this current M level would reconcile with the other UH and H level. :blink:
The sound from the current set-up sounds okay to me, at least from my point of view.
Do you have any better idea or clue on the right balance among these UH, H and Mid frequency levels? Or any idea on how I can test the sound by adjusting each of the three volume levels? Thanks for your feedbacks and advice in advance.

hjames
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Part of it is making sure all the pieces in the system are accurate.
Are all your drivers fresh and to to spec?
Is your crossover still to spec, or has it been rebuilt with fresh caps?
Are your amps flat?

The Proper way to set it is to sweep your room with various frequencies and set the system for a flat response at your listening position, using test tones and software.
Does your room require any adjustments or compensations
(Bass traps and that kind of thing)

You can't take a studio monitor and just say that a given pot settings will work in any space. Part of it is analyzing your room response, and part of it is knowing your preferred tastes in sound.

Bo and others have gone into great detail on doing this in other threads here, and I don't want to oversimplify what is required to truly do it right. But this gets you the basic idea of what is required.

Hi,

I know it all depends on one's musical preferences and tastes, but I still want your wise counsel on the proper volume level for UH, H and Mid frequency level of 4343.
I listen to jazz, both CDs and LPs for some time every day. Currenlty the volume, as you can see in the pic, is set +3 for UH, -2 for H, and over +3 for M. The reason I set the M over +3 is get the most out of the vocals, horn and rhythm instrument sounds. But I'm not sure how this current M level would reconcile with the other UH and H level. :blink:
The sound from the current set-up sounds okay to me, at least from my point of view.
Do you have any better idea or clue on the right balance among these UH, H and Mid frequency levels? Or any idea on how I can test the sound by adjusting each of the three volume levels? Thanks for your feedbacks and advice in advance.

pyonc
07-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Part of it is making sure all the pieces in the system are accurate.
Are all your drivers fresh and to to spec?
Is your crossover still to spec, or has it been rebuilt with fresh caps?
Are your amps flat?

The Proper way to set it is to sweep your room with various frequencies and set the system for a flat response at your listening position, using test tones and software.
Does your room require any adjustments or compensations
(Bass traps and that kind of thing)

You can't take a studio monitor and just say that a given pot settings will work in any space. Part of it is analyzing your room response, and part of it is knowing your preferred tastes in sound.

Bo and others have gone into great detail on doing this in other threads here, and I don't want to oversimplify what is required to truly do it right. But this gets you the basic idea of what is required.

Thanks for your nice observation. Looks like it's a big task. :(
Let me check out the threads on this, first.