PDA

View Full Version : Got a email from Truextent

moparfan
07-23-2010, 04:29 PM
They wanted to know/gauge my interest on beryllium dias for 2426 etc. and sent me an online survey. I had signed up a while ago.

Anyone get this?

grumpy
07-23-2010, 05:14 PM
They wanted to know/gauge my interest on beryllium dias for 2426 etc. and sent me an online survey. I had signed up a while ago.

Anyone get this?

Yes. I wasn't sure whether it was because of the sign-up regarding news, or from
business I've done with them (which has been very positive).

Robh3606
07-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I did too

Rob:)

Maron Horonzakz
07-24-2010, 10:22 AM
There probably testing the market to find out what other size phrams to offer.

Oldmics
07-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Anyone get this?

I"m in.:D
I stay in touch with Martin.They have been to the shop here a few times now with my buddy Sam.;)

Oldmics

badman
07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
For 2426 would be sweeeeeet. But I can't afford their phragms.

grumpy
07-27-2010, 09:40 AM
The price ranges one could choose from in the questionare (e.g., "what would you think a reasonable
price range would be?") were more along the lines of a stock JBL unit, ... much less than the 4" variety,
but it was just a questionare.

JeffW
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
I see Orange County Speaker now offers the 4" TruExtent phragms.

hjames
07-27-2010, 12:50 PM

Well, if HARMAN/JBL is effectively out of that business, I'd expect others to enter in their place ... makes perfect sense to me ...

scott fitlin
07-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Well, if HARMAN/JBL is effectively out of that business, I'd expect others to enter in their place ... makes perfect sense to me ...AND not only that, the TRUEXTENTS are said to be a big improvement over the original part.

Then, compared to prices for TAD Be diaphragms, the TRUEXTENTS are actually reasonably priced! So, IF they are as good as people say, even though the Be part does cost more than the OEM part, it is a bargain in todays world!

JeffW
07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, if HARMAN/JBL is effectively out of that business, I'd expect others to enter in their place ... makes perfect sense to me ...

Orange County has offered aftermarket diaphragms (not sure of their origin) for many JBL drivers for quite a while, as well as many of the OEM JBL diaphragms.

I was just mildy surprised that they were selling these particular aftermarket diaphragms. It's the first place other than direct or Dingusboy that I've seen them offered.

grumpy
07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
OCS? They've been designated as a (the?) West Coast distributor for awhile, and it now
shows on the Truextent web page as such. I was told group purchases might be an option,
but this is up to OCS now (and if anyone was interested in taking up that particular yoke).

scott fitlin
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
OCS? They've been designated as a (the?) West Coast distributor for awhile, and it now
shows on the Truextent web page as such. I was told group purchases might be an option,
but this is up to OCS now (and if anyone was interested in taking up that particular yoke).To me, it makes good business sense to have Orange County Speaker as the rep/distribution for TRUEXTENT Be Diaphragms. They repair speakers, so they can offer the part as a cost effective upgrade alternative to buying NEW drivers.

As a rep, they can effectively PUSH the product in the marketplace.

BTW, Grumpy, how many pieces constitutes a "GROUP PURCHASE"? And, how much of a savings might we be looking at? At $599ea, they are neither inexpensive, nor overly expensive, but pricey. I am interested in trying them in my 2441 drivers, so, IF others want them too, and I can save a few bucks, I would be interested in group purchases.

grumpy
07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Re: group purchase - this would need to be negotiated directly with OCS at this point
(quantity for potential volume discount).

speakerdave
07-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Beryllium diaphragms for small format Altecs that could be used in the 802 and 604 would be nice.

moparfan
07-28-2010, 12:03 AM
On a 4430 for instance.

grumpy
07-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Beryllium diaphragms for small format Altecs that could be used in the 802 and 604 would be nice.

I mentioned this in my survey response, as well as the 242x JBL family.

On a 4430 for instance.

Unknown. Could range from installing the diaphragm only, to adjusting the contour
levels (L-pads), to re-working the crossover, depending on how meticulous one was
and how they measure out... assuming they come to fruition.

OC Speaker
08-02-2010, 04:19 PM

Yes, we are stocking these diaphragms in both 8 and 16 ohms. Just an FYI, we are running a 2-day sale right now where we are giving 15% off any purchase from our website. So if anyone is seriously considering these diaphragms, now would be a good time to buy (you'd save $90 on each one). The coupon code is 15PC810, but it will only last for a couple days.

Take care,
Eric Sunda
Orange County Speaker, Inc.
http://www.SpeakerRepair.com
1-800-897-8373

Charlie4350
08-02-2010, 06:54 PM
You know, I really want to buy a pair of these. I just can't see 600 worth, and believe me, I am trying. Remember the good old days, when you could part with the cash and feel good about it, because you felt you got your monies worth.

Seems one diaphram shouldn't cost the same as half a dozen complete drivers, even if they are cheap ones.

And, no disrespect meant to OCS by the way.

JeffW
08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
You know, I really want to buy a pair of these. I just can't see 600 worth,

Well, $600 will only get you half a pair.

scott fitlin
08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
You know, I really want to buy a pair of these. I just can't see 600 worth, and believe me, I am trying. Remember the good old days, when you could part with the cash and feel good about it, because you felt you got your monies worth.

Seems one diaphram shouldn't cost the same as half a dozen complete drivers, even if they are cheap ones.

And, no disrespect meant to OCS by the way.But, if we go back to whatever decade, and look at pricing then, didn't premium products always cost more? Beryllium is a premium diaphragm material, and it costs. It isn't just JBL nor Truextent, if you price out TAD drivers, they are also even more expensive, and their diaphragms are hideously expensive, as well. So, when you compare the price of the Truextent part to a TAD part, it is far less costly, and many here compared the TAD drivers with TAD BE diaphragms to JBL drivers with Truextent Be diaphragms, and say they like the JBL/Truextent better! To me, THIS does represent a good value, but, still, at what these cost, if you could get a chance to hear them first, then you would know for sure IF they represent you getting your monies worth and more.

Premium materials and parts cost more! Are they worth it? Only you can decide for yourself. I, in your shoes, would not buy these blind, I would seek a way to find someone or someplace with JBL drivers loaded with Truextent diaphragms and hear them first.

The guys that did spend their coin for this, read what they have to say!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28034-Geez-who-the-hell-needs-TAD&highlight=Truextent

JeffW
08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
That's what I'm sort of looking at. A newer design JBL driver with the coherent phase plug vs $3K TAD. So a 2446 or 245X for under a grand each with Be phragms if you shop it. Maybe not 100% as sweet as the TAD, but hopefully better than 33%.

This post from Don got me thinking (since I have the 2450 already, at ~$300 ea invested)

An interesting JBL driver candidate for diaphragm replacement with Be would be the 2450. This driver was originally developed to accommodate a Be diaphragm as JBL was considering going head to head with TAD with that design. It was the reason for the development of the "Coherent Wave" phase plug. It allows for output from the diaphragm to be recombined in-phase at the driver throat in comparison to the out-of-phase output from a traditional phasing plug with variable length paths. According to JBL, it really only works with a Be diaphragm. The Al and Ti diaphragms are in breakup mode over most of their bandwidth, and as one designer said, are so "phasey" that there is limited benefit from the "Coherent Wave". However, a Be diaphragm, being pistonic for most of its bandwidth, would theoretically benefit the most.

This theoretically in-phase output would be a unique driver attribute compared to the TAD drivers and even JBL's current Be drivers. It would be interesting to have feedback if this two decade old technology actually results in a superior driver with a Be diaphragm.