PDA

View Full Version : Lancer 99s need work.. but what shall I give them? (newbie, Pics)

sswx2187
07-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Despite what the audio purists will say, I just want unique and well performing speakers. These were my fathers and then my brother took them.. his girlfriend played them too loud and the foam is completely gone from the woofers. Since I do not have them before me at the moment I cannot say if they would even work if refoamed.. but I'm guessing they need all new hardware.

I've read over forums about these speakers. The woofer in them is 14 inches and is the le14a. The tweeter is the le20-1. The crossover is the LX4-1. Apparently, JBL has the woofer set to go all the way to 2000 hz (and requires serious juice, which I've got).

Now, I've never done work on a speaker before.. but I have read all about building subs from a previous project considered. I know about port science and I'm willing to do my research and test results. However, I want to consider.. Refoaming or replacing these woofers and tweeters.

I have seen people say on the web that the LE14h-3 is a far superior woofer and would function fairly well in this cabinet.. However, I am also considering looking for a non JBL 14 inch woofer.. although it will probably be hard to come by.

As for the tweeter, I am looking at replacing these for sure. I want to cut in the cab like a person on this thread (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?7671-Cab-Sizes-L101-vs.-L99/page2) has done and install a horn.. or ribbon, or both. Since I have never done work on a speaker before.. reading these pages has my head aching.. (im very tired and I'm just now getting around to serious thought on the speakers).

What problems may I run into refoaming?
How can I test the current woofers before foaming?
What should I consider in a tweeter.
What should I consider in replacing the woofer? (jbl or different, what about crossover issues?)

I am willing to experiment with the port and insulation to get the most accurate bass I can manage.

Seriously, thanks for the help. I will take all opinions into consideration..

but.. These speakers will get work.. I need your help to get them there!
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2766/img1094fi.th.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/i/img1094fi.jpg/)

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9192/img1095jb.th.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/img1095jb.jpg/)

They have no grills.. they've got to look pretty when complete!

sswx2187
07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
upon further examination.. the surrounds appear to have been removed. Can you tell I hardly know what it is I am talking about?

I think I need new tweeters for certain. Can I replace these with a ribbon or do I need to stick with a JBL?

As for the woofer, I want to go with the LE14H-3.

Thoughts?

Triumph Don
07-21-2010, 09:48 PM
It's great to be excited about a project! But..

Don't think you can out engineer the original designers by swapping "upgraded" components into the system.

Start by refoaming the woofers. You stated the tweeters will have to be replaced, but you have not played music through them yet? Let's start there.

badman
07-23-2010, 08:34 AM
It's great to be excited about a project! But..

Don't think you can out engineer the original designers by swapping "upgraded" components into the system.

Start by refoaming the woofers. You stated the tweeters will have to be replaced, but you have not played music through them yet? Let's start there.

Seconded. Refoam and try as-is. Now, it's not a terribly refined design by any stretch, many vintage JBLs are pretty poor from a design perspective (Obviously the better studio monitors are excluded from this), but the quality of the drivers sure shows. A cone tweeter can perform nicely.

arby55
07-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I second his seconded! As a proud owner of vintage L88s, these 14" two-way systems sound terrific, regardless of whether the technical aspects all line up and shake hands by todays standards. Some speaker mfrs. pull stock crappy drivers off the oem shelf, add crossovers that compensate or completely reshape the sound for them, and sell a speaker system that appeals to the public.

Now I am no JBL historian or expert - just an enthusiast, but I have never felt that JBL is like this. They made their own drivers, enclosures, crossovers, and designs. Some more simple, and some extremely elaborate. But the idea behind the product was always the same - great sound. (ok - so maybe the later stuff that sold in the department stores was of a different cloth - I won't go there.) My point is this - if those 14" drivers can be refoamed, or if they need reconed - they are absolutely worth it. Shop around and see what those things will cost if you have to buy them, than ask yourself why. Ask around for the most trusted shop to restore JBL drivers, because it matters.

And those tweeters are made the way they were for a reason, and NOT to save a few cents in manufacturing costs! They used paper because paper has proven to be superior in some audio driver applications.

Ok - I'll shut up. Sermon over. But the other guy is right, too. Don't try to out-engineer the JBL engineer. Fix em, and rock out.

57BELAIRE
07-25-2010, 09:14 AM
If you decide to restore back to original I have everything you need.

Send me a pm good luck!

coruphius
12-26-2010, 02:43 AM
but! i have the same speakers that need refoaming aswell, just reading on what you said about replacing the tweeters, you better off keeping them or if you want as stated in the manual if they are dead, to replace them with the 035Tia tweeters which im planing to get for mine