PDA

View Full Version : Early 1930's Jensen 18" Permanent Magnet Speakers. I NEED INFO PLEASE!

hifiguy9
07-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum but I could use some information fast if anyone knows about them. My auction ends 7/22/10. Thanks!

hjames
07-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Might want to cancel the auction, get your info, THEN repost them to eBay ...

hifiguy9
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Might want to cancel the auction, get your info, THEN repost them to eBay ...
The auction is going good so far at $7,300.00 but there are alot of unanswered questions that people are asking me so I thought if anyone could help me out they would probably be in these forums.

tom1356
07-20-2010, 08:40 PM
They are late 1940's Theater woofers. What do you want to know about them?

scott fitlin
07-20-2010, 11:42 PM
The auction is going good so far at $7,300.00 but there are alot of unanswered questions that people are asking me so I thought if anyone could help me out they would probably be in these forums.www.hifilit.com (http://www.hifilit.com) has info on many defunct American audio brands, including Jensen. Not sure if the 18 is there but, it's worth a look-see! :D

hifiguy9
07-21-2010, 03:15 AM
They are late 1940's Theater woofers. What do you want to know about them?
Watts, Ohms. They are not listed on the labels. Someone told me they might be some of the best woofers ever made. I know they weigh around 67 pounds each.

scott fitlin
07-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Hifiguy, I don't know very much about the Jensens 18,s, per se, but IF I had to guess, power handling would be on a par with other woofers of the era they come from. Somewhere in the 25 to 35 watt range.

One thing I do know is the Jensen enjoyed a reputation for being premium sounding speakers, and your ebay auction bears this out as they are fetching quite handsome sums. That they are being so sought after says something, I assume! Ceratinly Jensen triaxials are famous and always said to have been woinderful sounding drivers of their time period, too!

One question I have is that for woofers of their age, they are in EXCELLENT shape, WHERE DID YOU HAPPEN across these beauties?

And of course, as a collectible vintage sale, you are going to be very happy with the auctions finish and price. OUTSTANDING IS MORE LIKE IT!

Congrats on your vintage audio find, and your auction! :cheers:

hifiguy9
07-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Hifiguy, I don't know very much about the Jensens 18,s, per se, but IF I had to guess, power handling would be on a par with other woofers of the era they come from. Somewhere in the 25 to 35 watt range.

One thing I do know is the Jensen enjoyed a reputation for being premium sounding speakers, and your ebay auction bears this out as they are fetching quite handsome sums. That they are being so sought after says something, I assume! Ceratinly Jensen triaxials are famous and always said to have been woinderful sounding drivers of their time period, too!

One question I have is that for woofers of their age, they are in EXCELLENT shape, WHERE DID YOU HAPPEN across these beauties?

And of course, as a collectible vintage sale, you are going to be very happy with the auctions finish and price. OUTSTANDING IS MORE LIKE IT!

Congrats on your vintage audio find, and your auction! :cheers:
Thanks Scott! I found these at an estate sale of a deceased gentleman that worked for the Powel Crosley Company of WLW Radio fame here in my city of cincinnati ohio. These were in homebrew cabinets built into his living room wall on each side of his mantle fireplace and he played an organ through them and had an old sx-727 pioneer receiver hooked up. I was surprised there wasn't some old tube equipment. I fetched them with the receiver for $50.00. Yes, I can't wait to see how the auction ends. May be time to pay off some of those bills I have piled up and go on a nice vacation.

scott fitlin
07-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Thanks Scott! I found these at an estate sale of a deceased gentleman that worked for the Powel Crosley Company of WLW Radio fame here in my city of cincinnati ohio. These were in homebrew cabinets built into his living room wall on each side of his mantle fireplace and he played an organ through them and had an old sx-727 pioneer receiver hooked up. I was surprised there wasn't some old tube equipment. I fetched them with the receiver for $50.00. Yes, I can't wait to see how the auction ends. May be time to pay off some of those bills I have piled up and go on a nice vacation.WOW! What a find.

I did some googling of my own, but, I didn't come up with anymore info on these 18,s. Being that these 18,s are most definitley from the era of tube audio, they probaby were designed for a large cabinet with a large rear chamber volume. Sounds like the original owner had home brew infinite baffle cabinets, and they are also probably EFFICIENT as anything ever produced.

Hopefully Tom has the info you seek, and I do agree with you, the auctions end will be OUTSTANDING!

Once again, CONGRATS! :applaud:

Steve Schell
07-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Here is a page from a catalog photocopy in my collection. The catalog is not dated, but the Jensen line is in transition from field coil to permanent magnet and some models have Alnico V magnets. From the text on this page it seems the date would have to be 1948 or later.

These permanent magnet Jensen Auditorium Series speakers are rare, considerably more so than the field coil models.

hifiguy9
07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Here is a page from a catalog photocopy in my collection. The catalog is not dated, but the Jensen line is in transition from field coil to permanent magnet and some models have Alnico V magnets. From the text on this page it seems the date would have to be 1948 or later.

These permanent magnet Jensen Auditorium Series speakers are rare, considerably more so than the field coil models.
Thank you Steve! Someone else said you are the man and indeed you are. Exactly what I was looking for. So mine are 8 ohm and the other similar model is 16 ohm. A bit od for the time period isn't it?

Radiotubes
07-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Well Mike, You seem to luck into some interesting stuff (like that 45 rpm record you found at Turtle Creek flea market and sold for $15,000.00). I personally would not do business with you, and find your post here a shameless promotion of your wares. So you paid $25 each, or for the pair? Certainly a piece of history. Congratulations on your financial wind fall.

Radiotubes
07-22-2010, 06:45 AM
WOW, almost $10k. You might want to report your profit on your income tax return :D.

hifiguy9
07-22-2010, 07:01 AM
WOW, almost $10k. You might want to report your profit on your income tax return :D.
And you forgot to mention 15% for tithing and offerings.

Radiotubes
07-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Yes, for the church of "Radiotubes" " And I will bestow the gift of everlasing life upon you and your Jensen woofers"

Maron Horonzakz
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Does thouists havenots protest????

Steve Schell
07-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I certainly have no problem with hifiguy9 asking for information on his Jensens. Where's he supposed to go, a stamp collecting forum? He made his intentions known from the start by linking to his auction. I appreciate folks making us aware of audio rarities, a major interest of mine. My bedroom is full of these things... I think I'll stop right there.

Radiotubes
07-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I certainly enjoyed seeing these rare drivers.

scott fitlin
07-22-2010, 01:47 PM
You know what? MY position on self promotion of ones wares is OK as long as certain boundaries are not overstepped. HifiGuy was forthcoming about WHAT he had, what he wanted to know and WHY! He got a good deal, because he was at the right place at the right time, and has a sharp eye for seeing something of value. He came here looking for info on woofers he has and he openly stated they are being sold, FOR A PROFIT! He did NOT CON anyone out of them, and THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THIS THREAD!

And YES this is part of what we are here for, HISTORICAL AUDIO PRODUCTS and AUDIO IN GENERAL!

I, for one, love seeing, reading about, and in general, discovering the past when it is about audio. It's REALLY COOL that THIS forum has people like Steve Schell who have info available. THIS is what it's all about, buying, selling, restoring, modifying, custom design, DIY, ETC!

Continue on, and HiFiGuy, again, CONGRATS on your good fortune! :bouncy:

hjames
07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
He was honest and polite, he shared what he had, and he was friendly about it. What's not to like?

Radiotubes
07-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Oops, looks like my comments regarding "shameless promotion to sell your wares" is getting some heat :) Of course my comments were intended to be a good natured jab @ hifiguy9. Sorry if my comments were misconstrued. I too would shamelessly promote my wares ifn' I had sum to hawk.

Those Jensen Woofers were in fact a marvelous find (for $50!) and a great story to tell in the years to come (like finding the holy grail). I would be quite pleased if I had similar fortune.