PDA

View Full Version : EV DH1A Polarity

rlsound
07-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Stupid question time,

Which side is + on the DH1A? I have a funny feeling that these are wired backwards at this venue, but there's no marking on the back of the unit and the manual comes up with nothing.

doucanoe
07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Stupid question time,

Which side is + on the DH1A? I have a funny feeling that these are wired backwards at this venue, but there's no marking on the back of the unit and the manual comes up with nothing.

If you look closely (and they are like mine) you will see a "+" and "-" on a small tab just to the outside of the terminal screws where it steps down. It's a bit hard to make out in poor lighting.

RC

rlsound
07-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Found it! Too bad they couldn't put some white paint on the terminals.

Anyways, they are wired out of phase. Is there a logical reason for this? Acoustically? Some of the bass drivers are like this as well.

doucanoe
07-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Found it! Too bad they couldn't put some white paint on the terminals.

Anyways, they are wired out of phase. Is there a logical reason for this? Acoustically? Some of the bass drivers are like this as well.

Not sure, unless, whatever network that was being used was inverting polarity and reversing it at the driver(s) corrected it :confused:

It very well may have just been negligence on the part of the hookerupper, also ;)

RC

rlsound
07-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Could be negligence but I doubt it. The installer is highly regarded. Actively crossed at 500hz with a time delay of 0.8 seconds.

I should get my RTA in there and have a look.

doucanoe
07-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Could be negligence but I doubt it. The installer is highly regarded. Actively crossed at 500hz with a time delay of 0.8 seconds.

I should get my RTA in there and have a look.

I'm a far cry from a big venue PA install guy so other than that, I couldn't begin to guess.
I'll be interested to hear why they were connected that way if you ever figure it out.

RC