PDA

View Full Version : Enough Already

Robh3606
07-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Hello All

I can't help but notice the amount of negativity on this forum. It has gotten to the point that it is simply not fun to come here. We can't cure the ills of the world, fix the political system in our country or get the factory workers their jobs back by discussing it here. This is supposed to be an audio enthusiast forum to celebrate the Heritage that
James B Lansing started all those years ago. Why don't we try to stay on topic, the real topic of this forum. It seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way.

Thanks Rob:)

BMWCCA
07-16-2010, 05:34 PM
That seems to be a rather negative outlook... ;)

I can't help but notice the amount of negativity on this forum. It has gotten to the point that it is simply not fun to come here. We can't cure the ills of the world, fix the political system in our country or get the factory workers their jobs back by discussing it here. This is supposed to be an audio enthusiast forum to celebrate the Heritage that
James B Lansing started all those years ago. Why don't we try to stay on topic, the real topic of this forum. It seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way.

hjames
07-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Hello All

Good for you - I know I sure enjoy listening to my various speakers - and am VERY glad James B started the whole business that they came from!

grumpy
07-16-2010, 06:31 PM
I pledge to be less grumpacious.

Note that it is a simple thing to get a Twitter or Facebook account for those with an inner
need to spew off-topic... and there -is- that off-topic sub-forum if one finds an empty place inside
between issues of Cat Fancy.

I'm sure I've missed more than one interesting thread due to the interlaced detritus.

Hang by the neck until we cheer up?

4313B
07-16-2010, 07:19 PM
I can't help but notice the amount of negativity on this forum. It has gotten to the point that it is simply not fun to come here.Oftentimes wakes end up lacking in the fun factor...
Note that it is a simple thing to get a Twitter or Facebook account for those with an inner need to spew off-topic... Dude... those sites are epic fails... :no_wag:

Hang by the neck until we cheer up?That would be hanging the wrong people...

grumpy
07-16-2010, 08:26 PM
..Dude... those sites are epic fails...

Heh, yeah good digs for a scatologist...
Sort of the point.
Epic fail? What are you, twelve? :)
Context: That's been the non-stop phrase
of the last few months at my house...

Titanium Dome
07-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Sometimes the kids know how to say it. :p

I sure thought we knew how to say it when we were young.

Heh, yeah good digs for a scatologist...
Sort of the point.
Context: That's been the non-stop phrase
of the last few months at my house...

Titanium Dome
07-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Rob

Thanks for bringing this forward.

BMWCCA

Thanks for winking.

grumpy
07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
+1

(I still crack up at "rickroll" and "asshat")

BMWCCA
07-16-2010, 08:44 PM

I can assure you that—at least at my house—the phrase is used to age fifteen . . . if not longer. I'll report back. :yes:

Robh3606
07-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Epic Fail

Oh crap up to at least 17 here

Rob:)

4313B
07-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Epic fail? What are you, twelve? :)My wife says eight. I'll split the difference with the both of you and go with ten.

Epic Fail

Oh crap up to at least 17 hereIt's become an industry term to describe manufacturing in America... I hear it alot at work these days (Fortune 50 Corporation - We've fired thousands and moved the plants to Mexico and China). Rumor has it that Bangladesh is the latest rage. They're "stealing" jobs from China now that Chinese workers are starting to request actual living wages.

What we really need to come up with is mobile factories that we can simply pick up and move at will to the latest and greatest area where people are still willing to work only for their next meal. :yes:

Globalize Labor (http://www.ituc-csi.org/)
The ITUC represents 176 million workers in 156 countries and territories and has 312 national affiliates.

1audiohack
07-17-2010, 08:40 AM
What we really need to come up with is mobile factories that we can simply pick up and move at will to the latest and greatest area where people are still willing to work only for their next meal. :yes:[QUOTE][QUOTE]

You're never going to get any where in THIS world thinking like that! You need to think lower! Certainly there must still be somewhere on this earth people willing to perform slave labor simply for the CHANCE to stare at a shiny object!

spkrman57
07-17-2010, 09:19 AM
But I took exception and posted to this one.

I also remember the good old days of this forum when audio was the only thing discussed.:crying:

Ron

brutal
07-17-2010, 01:01 PM
ROFL @ 12 posts to go completely off topic.

To OP, I couldn't agree more. I just can't stand the pontification, stupid Cat posts, and endless lame photoshop pics that seem to constitute the majority of posts here lately. That's why I tend to hang out much more on another forum where's it's "All Audio, No Attitude." So much more enjoyable for all the reasons many of us gravitate to these forums.

I've said it before and will say it again. LHF tends to be rife with sour-puss cronies and a certain clique' that perpetuates a foul attitude at times that is off-putting to many. :p

4313B
07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
And yet... here you are... :rotfl:

It has gotten to the point that it is simply not fun to come here.No one is building anything. It's boring. :dont-know:

Maybe we should change the forum language to Chinese or Japanese? That should liven the place up a bit. :yes:

Zilch
07-17-2010, 02:11 PM
No one is building anything. It's boring. :dont-know:The requirements are somewhat restrictive.

David Smith and I are reworking AR4x (of all things) in another forum.

I've loaded it with a JBL waveguide and Selenium (now Harman) compression driver. Would that project qualify for prime time here?

[How 'bout if we used a JBL woofer...? ;) ]

4313B
07-17-2010, 02:24 PM
The requirements are somewhat restrictive.

David Smith and I are reworking AR4x (of all things) in another forum.

I've loaded it with a JBL waveguide and Selenium (now Harman) compression driver. Would that project qualify for prime time here?

[How 'bout if we used a JBL woofer...? ;) ]There are no requirements anymore Zilch. Zip. Nada. Most of the "JBL drivers" are sourced from third party manufacturers now. Think of them as the Kenmore of loudspeakers. They do what you do, source drivers, put them in boxes and see what happens.

I wonder if Harman is going to make Selenium drivers unobtainable too. :rotfl: That would be kind of dumb don't you think? I'll bet they'll do it then.

Zilch
07-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I can only guess as to the acquisition strategy. It clearly provides large-scale EX-US manufacturing infrastructure along with considerable experience and expertise.... :blink:

JBL 4645
07-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Hello All

Okay I agree with Rob a lot of “negative waves” have surfaced on and off the ups and down for several years. I have crummy days of deep negative depression (only I can sort it out for myself).

Well as Oddball said in Kelly’s Heroes...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqgJVrHcpCI

I try and find something new each day, even if does seem like perpetual boring Déjà vu I try my best, I’m only human.:)

Oftentimes wakes end up lacking in the fun factor...Dude... those sites are epic fails... :no_wag:
That would be hanging the wrong people...

Hey I wouldn’t go as far as calling it epic fail. I’ve been on facebook for just over a year. Its webcam upload is total rubbish! I must have tried 20 times last night to do simple 10 or 20 min rant and it failed with countless errors that almost had me punching the monitor!

I have a sort tolerance!

The rest of its service isn’t bad. JBL have their, own facebook page that I visit on and off.

JBL HARMAN
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=669675148#!/JBL

There is some talk on vintage JBL D44000 Paragon on facebook so its hardly epic fail.

4313B
07-17-2010, 05:56 PM
I’ve been on facebook for just over a year.I rest my case...

J/K :p

Anyway... I'm pretty pissed off with respect to the turn of events at JBL. It's not something that I am going to get over. I'll endeavor to leave it at that.

JeffW
07-19-2010, 10:52 AM
No one is building anything. It's boring. :dont-know:

People are building stuff, it's just that you'd have to be insane to post any details of it here lest you be set upon by the odiferous sour-puss cronies. ;)

Harvey Gerst
07-19-2010, 11:13 AM
On a somewhat brighter note, I recently designed some close field monitor speakers that PMI is building in the U.S., so not all American manufacturing is gone. We've had great response from a lot of well known studio engineers and producers. Maybe I can help (in a small way) to keep the JBL heritage going, since a lot of the ideas come from my days at JBL, and long conversations about speaker design with Ed May, Bart Locanthi, George Augspurger, and Bill Burton.

If this model goes well, there will be other models for mastering engineers, and, maybe eventually, for home hi-fi's.

1audiohack
07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
People are building stuff, it's just that you'd have to be insane to post any details of it here lest you be set upon by the odiferous sour-puss cronies. ;)

I don't for that very reason, but let's test the waters for fun, heres what I built the weekend of July Fourth, it was a busy three days, but fun! All in all there four two way boxes and four subs.

Titanium Dome
07-20-2010, 05:24 AM
I don't for that very reason, but let's test the waters for fun, heres what I built the weekend of July Fourth, it was a busy three days, but fun! All in all there four two way boxes and four subs.

Did you repaint the horns, or were they new/in pristine condition?

grumpy
07-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Don't hide a project in this thread... get it out there :D
2344 1" driver + 2020H?, 12-15" tapped-looking horns? electronic drive?
what's not to like?

4313B
07-20-2010, 08:05 AM
People are building stuff, it's just that you'd have to be insane to post any details of it here lest you be set upon by the odiferous sour-puss cronies. ;)I've heard that lament often (and one of the reasons I gave up on Project May). You just have to do what Don does, fire and forget. Post your project and then ignore the peanut gallery. I'm not sure it's an issue anymore anyway. I think all the problem children have left the building.

Jonis
07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Did you repaint the horns, or were they new/in pristine condition?

1Audiohack,

I too am interested to know if your 2234 was repainted. If it is, would you mind sharing any secrets on your finishing process. I have two that I will soon attempt to restore and would appreciate any pointers from anyone with experience with this foam material. I know this should be the start of new thread but lacking the wherewithall to do so (Noob). Thanks in advance.

1audiohack
07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Sorry to be late, I will start a thread on this tonight.

Thanks.

richluvsound
07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I've heard that lament often (and one of the reasons I gave up on Project May). You just have to do what Don does, fire and forget. Post your project and then ignore the peanut gallery. I'm not sure it's an issue anymore anyway. I think all the problem children have left the building.

Those problem children must have read the book "Toxic Parents" or found a Tad supplier . The price of a 2235 kit has risen 70% here in Europe..... WTF . There is a man in Ohio that has done more to help us with serious projects than anyone else and yet cops the most shit .....again WTF ? My K2 project will have to wait along time to get the drivers it deserves .... At least they became officially VINTAGE now discontinued LOL .

Rich