PDA

View Full Version : Altec N800K L-pads?

jeepy
07-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Hello All,
I am an Altec newbie and I am wishing to build a pair of Valencia speakers since I have got the right drivers in 8 ohms. However I have a problem to find parts for the model N800K Xo network.si46639
I think (not sure) that new standard 8.2 and 22 uF values could fit the capacitor positions. Also, using 1,8 mH for the inductances should be ok but the real problem is the L-pad with 8 ohms on one side and 40 ohms on the other! Is there any circuit that could replace the l-pad and using standard components?
Thank you for you advice.

spkrman57
07-14-2010, 07:54 AM
If you measure a 8 ohm L-pad you will find it measures like the schematic one eash leg.

Do yourself a favor and get the 100 watt 8 ohm L-pads. They are well built.

Regards, Ron

Hello All,
I am an Altec newbie and I am wishing to build a pair of Valencia speakers since I have got the right drivers in 8 ohms. However I have a problem to find parts for the model N800K Xo network.si46639
I think (not sure) that new standard 8.2 and 22 uF values could fit the capacitor positions. Also, using 1,8 mH for the inductances should be ok but the real problem is the L-pad with 8 ohms on one side and 40 ohms on the other! Is there any circuit that could replace the l-pad and using standard components?
Thank you for you advice.

jeepy
07-17-2010, 06:13 AM
If you measure a 8 ohm L-pad you will find it measures like the schematic one eash leg.

Do yourself a favor and get the 100 watt 8 ohm L-pads. They are well built.

Regards, Ron

Thank you. This solves my problem! I ordered the 100W.
Regards,
Jean-Paul

spkrman57
07-17-2010, 09:25 AM
My 16 ohm L-pads measure 16 ohm and approx 90 ohms.

Sometimes using only one side of a L-pad comes in handy substituting as a variable resistor when testing to find out the best value needed for a single resistor.

Then after measuring with a ohm meter you can replace with a fixed value resistor.

Let us know how it turns out after you replace the L-pads.

Regards, Ron

Altec Best
07-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Or you can use the L-pad to dial in the resistance to your room after dialed in just take a reading and use fix resistor just another way of doing what Speakerman57 said.Also if you want to keep the values exact as on the schematic and you can't find the exact values you can double up like use two 4uF caps to make a 8 uF and so on.When doubling up caps try to keep the caps close to same values example if you need a 21 uF it's better to use a 10uF + a 11 uF to equal the 21uF instead of using like a 19uF + a 2uF to equal 21 uF I was taught to use caps that are close in value to get your value needed.Good Luck.