PDA

View Full Version : Crown PS - 400

robertbartsch
07-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm mulling the idea of buying a couple of PS-400 amps for an existing 5 channel basement system. I like the level countrol feature which is not present in many other consumer power amps since my two speaker pairs have different sensitivity ratings.

Anyway, I'm a dunce on electronics and I'm concerned about equipment that is 30 + years old. Should I stay away from these or would this be a reasonably safe bet?

hjames
07-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm mulling the idea of buying a couple of PS-400 amps for an existing 5 channel basement system. I like the level countrol feature which is not present in many other consumer power amps since my two speaker pairs have different sensitivity ratings.

Anyway, I'm a dunce on electronics and I'm concerned about equipment that is 30 + years old. Should I stay away from these or would this be a reasonably safe bet?

You have repeatedly regretted buying old amps in the past, and have advised other members not to go that route.

I honestly think you'd be most happy with something new, don't you?

Audiobeer
07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
You have repeatedly regretted buying old amps in the past, and have advised other members not to go that route.

D'man Heather! You sound like my Mother! She was almost always right! :applaud:

BMWCCA
07-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Should I stay away from these or would this be a reasonably safe bet?On the one hand I say you should buy all you can and keep them as a reminder of when real stuff was made in America by Real Americans. ;)

On the other hand, I think you should send every one you find to me since I seem to be the only one who finds these old workhorses able to still do the job with incredible dependability. I have two PS400s and three PS200s. None have failed me. (They're probably no older than those ubiquitous Adcoms!!) I even have an original D150 I've owned since the early '70s.

Seriously, don't forget the venerable DC300A-II which can actually be a slightly newer amp than a PS400. The PS400/200 were brought out as replacements for the DC300-II and D150-II but the lower price of the DC300 kept demand high enough for it to actually outlive the PS400 in the Crown lineup. Advantages of the P over the D include turn-on delay which is why I like them, but I have and use both. Currently my 4345s are driven by a DC300A-II and a D150A-II. I just got another PS200 to match my black PS400 so I'm ready to sub them into the 4345 system when time permits. :D

PCR
03-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Here is the bottom line. You always take a risk with old Audio equipment. At the time I was checking my SL1 /PL1 out, I compared them to Hafler, Audionics, High end Yamaha at 4X the power. The Crown sounded better on my LE-14A / LE-20 My home made Knock offs of the JBL Lancer, built to their spec. I bought the Crown, it simply sounded better.
That being said, I have owned an SL-1 and PL-1 Pre-Amp and Power amp since I bought it new in 1983. Now it is 2013! It was spec'ed out by Crown when I had it repaired for a minor problem 10 years ago. It cost about 50 bucks. Both Spec'ed out like new. OK, 50 bucks for 30 years...that is low maintenence! Both still sound great! If you want quality, Crown Sectrum analyizes all the components that go into it's amps, everything matched to spec. Performace for the dollar, I would stack Crown up to anything.

BMWCCA
03-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Here is the bottom line . . .

Of course I agree with you on the Crowns but the thread you've replied to is almost three-years old so I doubt the OP is still pondering the question. BTW, since than I've had two PS200s I've bought have issues. Seems the problem on both is related to the turn-on delay with a known under-spec'd cap on that board. I purchased the new board from Crown as well as some new caps from them, too. I also purchased a new Hakko soldering station. Now all I need is some time!

Still not a bad record: Ten Crown amps from D75A to PS400 with the oldest now over forty-years-old and the newest probably still 20 and only two are not working at this moment——both PS200s.
:hmm: