PDA

View Full Version : Specs for a Metregon C45 with SE 402 Solid State Energiser Transducer and LX-5's?

Tryingtopick
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
My first post to this informative and interesting site…. Thanks in advance for the technical information and good council….
I am considering the purchase of a Metregon C45 Serial #42xxx. The rear panel displays (2) LX-5’s along with a Solid State Energizer Transducer Model SE402.
I have read the 2-way and the 3-way configurations for the Metregon differ significantly in their sound quality and market value.

I seek advice from the experts regarding the sophistication of this system, and if it is a 2 or 3 way system…… The “solid state” designation screams of he 1970’s, and I am uninformed as to the quality of these components….
My Bride approves of this system for our home…. But as a piece of furniture…I guess things haven’t changed much with decorating the home since the 1960’s….. Perhaps that’s why these speakers were produced…. This is an expensive purchase…. This piece of industrial art to my eyes has finish damage, but otherwise has not been opened, tampered with, or modified.
Is this Metregon one of the good ones? SMR

tom1356
07-05-2010, 06:59 PM
My first post to this informative and interesting site…. Thanks in advance for the technical information and good council….
I am considering the purchase of a Metregon C45 Serial #42xxx. The rear panel displays (2) LX-5’s along with a Solid State Energizer Transducer Model SE402.
I have read the 2-way and the 3-way configurations for the Metregon differ significantly in their sound quality and market value.

I seek advice from the experts regarding the sophistication of this system, and if it is a 2 or 3 way system…… The “solid state” designation screams of he 1970’s, and I am uninformed as to the quality of these components….
My Bride approves of this system for our home…. But as a piece of furniture…I guess things haven’t changed much with decorating the home since the 1960’s….. Perhaps that’s why these speakers were produced…. This is an expensive purchase…. This piece of industrial art to my eyes has finish damage, but otherwise has not been opened, tampered with, or modified.
Is this Metregon one of the good ones? SMR
I am not an expert so keep that in mind.
The LX-5 is a two way crossover.
The SE 402 is a germanium amplifier. Do not use it without having it checked out by a qualified technician.
If you post pictures and a price people could tell you if it's a good deal or not.
Good Luck!
Tom

jcrobso
07-06-2010, 01:24 PM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1960-C45-metregon.htm

Tryingtopick
07-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks, folks, for the link, and for the request for photos. I am sorry to not be able to post any photos. To further clarify the condition of the finish..... some significant scratches on the top surface, but overall not bad.... some restoration required.
Please help me to understand WHY JBL designed this C-45 two way system with an integral amplifier? I don't see any reference within this site to this particular configuration of components...... I just don't have the experience to understand what is a desireable system and what is not desireable.... what is good and what is not so good....
Do I need to open it up and identify the components? Or....do the experts know what is inside by my previous description? SMR

jcrobso
07-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Back in that time period JBL speakers were sold as separates, you bought the speaker cabinet, then you could chose the speaker system to be installed. I'm guessing that since you only see one crossover per side that it is a two way system.