PDA

View Full Version : JBL 3731 and McIntosh

Mctwins
06-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Finally after long waiting they are install and properly setup with McIntosh monoblocks. I must say that I am totally satisfied with the sound and my search is over. Fit perfectly in my acoustical room.

Enjoy:)

mikebake
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
They have a vivid sound, eh? Your setup looks neat.

monolith
06-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Congratulations. It looks beautiful and excellent setup:applaud: Perhaps, you are the first consumer user of 3731 in the world though 3632 was me.
http://monolith-theater.net/hal/?page_id=2
It looks driver and horn are renewed. Is it biamp drive. What device for speaker management(cross over)?

Mctwins
06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi
Thanks everyone.
Yes, it is true bi-amp, that's why I chose these speakers. Tube MC275 for the M/T and solid MC252 for the bass, all in mono bridge mode. For the moment I am usig dbx 223XL and crossover at 350Hz. I'm gonna change to McIntosh MEN220 roomcorrection where there is better crossover settings and delay functions. The horns is made in plastic but it looks great and not heavy and very rigid as well. I do belive it is the same driver. Very good quality and very simple, but again, what a sound. I bought them without listening to them so I didin't have any idea how the sound would be, but allways like the sound of JBL so I only had my experiance to go for. I am amazed how well it sounded allready after start up when I put the first record and listening for the first 15min at low volume but I coulden't resist and crank the volume as high as my ear could take. What a punch in the bass and very detail in the hights, no harshness, vocals is great, good overall sound like listening to a live performance. Of course, the room acoustics plays a important roll here.

Here is a picture from behind:

Jonas_h
07-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Looks really nice! Great to hear som hands-on experience of these speakers.

How far away from the speakers is your listening position? What would you say the minimum distance should be?

Mctwins
07-01-2010, 03:33 AM
Hi
The distance I have between the speakers and listening position is 4,5 meters. I sat also at 3,5 meters and coulden't notice any different in sound. The sound is very forgiven and uniform and see no problem here regarding the distance. I would say 3,5 meters and longer is preferable. It is allways dependeble how your room acoustics is, but that's another story.
Thanks

stephane RAME
07-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Hi
Good new and good result for a small room.:applaud:
Me, I'm waiting for my always 3732-M/HF commissioned April 13, 2010.:(
Stéphane

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?11750-My-new-Loudspeaker-Systems-%E2%80%93-Great-Plains-audio

Mctwins
07-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Hi
It is worth waiting for, be patient. Belive me, I am so satisfied.:)
Thanks

Audiobeer
07-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi
It is worth waiting for, be patient. Belive me, I am so satisfied.:)
Thanks

WOW! Somebody hand me a wet towel. I'm satisfied just looking at it! :D

Mctwins
07-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Hi
Here is some measurements of my room and JBL speakers.

Freq response, CSD, RT30, Freq response and distortion.

Mctwins
07-02-2010, 03:25 AM
This is without any acoustical treatment in the room.

Hope you can see the difference.

1audiohack
07-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Very nice! That system just looks like fun.

Are you also the acoustician?

How do you like ARTA?

Mctwins
07-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Hi
Yesterday I listening to all of the Pink Floyd albums and I must say that I was somewhere else in this universe. Specially the tune Echoes sounded good when the bass kickt in.

I have done everything by myself regarding the treatment of the room and had a acoustician who measured the room and he was satisfied with the result. I will put some more diffusion on the angled side wall, don't have any treatment there. Remember, I don't have any absorbtion visible only diffusion. Room acoustic treatment is the only thing I can hear that has change the sound in a positive way.

About ARTA; Nice acoustical program an very easy to use and shows the importance of measurering, very stable program. I had to have some program to see what I was doing, without it, it is difficult to see what is happening.
Thanks

robertbartsch
07-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Very nice system; I have a few JBL pro applications in the home and like them too. I notice you are using 33LPs not CDs or other digital sources. You might want to try the Floyd using a digital source.

Jonas_h
07-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Have you though about running tri-amp instead of bi-amp? The MC252 is 250/channel which should be plenty for driving the bass and mid seperately.

Mctwins
07-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Very nice system; I have a few JBL pro applications in the home and like them too. I notice you are using 33LPs not CDs or other digital sources. You might want to try the Floyd using a digital source.

Hi
I have CD-player, two of them. Both LP and CD sound great.

Mctwins
07-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Have you though about running tri-amp instead of bi-amp? The MC252 is 250/channel which should be plenty for driving the bass and mid seperately.

Hi
I have been thinking about tri-amping, but wanted too have as much power to the bass as possible. It is true that tri-amp is the way to go but I am more than satisfied with this configuration.
Thanks

Jonas_h
07-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Hi
I have been thinking about tri-amping, but wanted too have as much power to the bass as possible. It is true that tri-amp is the way to go but I am more than satisfied with this configuration.
Thanks
I don't doubt that is sound great! And much power for the bass section seems reasonable. But if your crossover supports 3-way, it could be fun to try and actually compare the performance.

But thumbs up from here! Impressive how the reverb-time is improved with all your treatment.

moparfan
07-05-2010, 07:22 AM
http://www.soundbroker.com/WANTED/?listingid=48397

monolith
07-05-2010, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Jonas_h;290826]I don't doubt that is sound great! And much power for the bass section seems reasonable. But if your crossover supports 3-way, it could be fun to try and actually compare the performance.
QUOTE]

JBL3632T(x3), 4645C(x2) and 2405(x4/centerx2). 5 way multi-amp setup. 3632 is old version of 373x.

I've ever tried 3, 4 and 5-way multi-amp drive with JBL3632-T, 4645C and 2405. Of course experimental try but it sounds great. However, it was extremely difficult for appropriate tune to get flat responce of FFT measurement data by SmaartV6 using SystemArchitect(tuning software by Harman) for dbx driverack4800 over 4 way setup.

Usually, I apply x-curve equalization for multi-channel blu-ray movie, therefore super-tweeter(2405) is unnecessary. But, I think multi-amp drive must be a challenging and exciting procedure in stereophonic or multi channel 96kHz/24bit FLAC (for example 2L-Nordic sound) reproduction in JBL ScreenArray.

http://monolith-theater.net/hal/?p=1591 (JBL3632T)

robertbartsch
07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
We went to a small 90 seat movie house this weekend and we arrived about 45 minutes early. The sound before and during the movie was exceptional. Effortless reproduction, great dynamic range, full frequency responce, etc.

I was hoping to peek behind the stage but, unfortunately, I did not get a chance. The pics here are of a pro JBL system oringally designed for movie houses; correct?

Why more people do not use these in home systems is puzzling to me.

Anyway, I would love to hear this system - must be impressive.

monolith
07-06-2010, 05:43 PM
We went to a small 90 seat movie house this weekend and we arrived about 45 minutes early. The sound before and during the movie was exceptional. Effortless reproduction, great dynamic range, full frequency responce, etc.

I was hoping to peek behind the stage but, unfortunately, I did not get a chance. The pics here are of a pro JBL system oringally designed for movie houses; correct?

Why more people do not use these in home systems is puzzling to me.

Anyway, I would love to hear this system - must be impressive.

My picture of 3632T below is JBL professional ScreenArray and are used in commercial theaters. For example, The Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre is equipped with tuned another version of JBL ScreenArray.

The Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre

new 37xx series

Indeed, it's rare system in consumer use. The main reason, i think, is the difficulty of setup and the space of the room. These speakers were designed for wall mount and setting back of the perforated sound screen.

To get best and fantastic results in home use, the tuning of cross-over and room acoustical equalization are needed.The gears and software for the sound measurement and acoustic control are necessary. It is not easy for an amateur to master at once. However, there is a method of getting acoustician's help or using automatic sound adjustment tools, too.

There is another problem of purchase route. It's not home audio shop for comsumers but pro-audio dealers.

That is, the setup is not easy like system speakers. An equal technic and labor with high quality self-made DIY speaker is required , like Mctwins.

Mctwins
07-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Hi
The reason I went for these speakers is I wanted a true bi-amp configuration and I only have two-way crossover so I can't experiment with tri-amp. Monolith has some point here regarding the setup for these speakers. The room acoustics and the tuning of crossover settings maybe isin't for everyone, it requires some work here. Maybe the look dosen't appeal for everyone as well. For me, the sound gets better for each day that's goes. I am amazed how well and good the sound is and I am only listening to music.:)
Thanks

Mctwins
07-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi
Now I have change from DBX 223XL to Driverack PA+ and done some adjustment. As you can see the freq response has improved since the last time. I have not done any other changes such as room treatment or different speakers position, everthing is the same as before.

The difference in the bass region is due to the cutoff freq at 40 Hz Butterworth12 slope. A guy from the DBX forum advice me too do this, he said I could damage the cone. I can't explain why but I am testing it for now, will come back with some more info on that.
The reverb time T30 and CSD is the same, nothing has change here.

The green is DBX PA+ and the yellow is before.
Thanks

Mctwins
07-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Very nice! That system just looks like fun.

Are you also the acoustician?

How do you like ARTA?

Hi
I am not a acoustician, but I have learned a lot by myself and it has been fun. Here is a linkhttp://www.performanceacousticslabs.com/PAL/Home-Acoustics_Listening_Rooms.html and they are the exclusive distributor for SMT who has the same stuff that I have regarding the room treatment. I am not affiliated whith these guys but they can provide any help about room acoustics if anybody is interested. Great rooms and picture.

All I can say about this great room treatment is that it works and if you will have any chance go and listening to a room with this treatment, it's a great experience.:)
Thanks

Mctwins
09-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Hi
Sorry I didin't answer to your question, 1audiohack. Yes, the ARTA is a great program.

Had added some more diffusion to the ceiling and moved those I had on the ceiling to the side wall. Very satisfied:)

Now on new project, adding two subwoofers JBL 4641 in near future, this never ends.:D
Thanks

Mctwins
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi
It's been a long time I posted on this thread. I have added two JBL 4641 Subs and a Crown Macro-tech MA5000i amp to drive it:).

Jonas_h
11-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Congrats on your new gear! I have the 4645c myself, and absolutely love it! Where do you cross the speakers to the subs?

SUPERBEE
11-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Now put on Louie Louie and blast it on 11

Mctwins
11-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Congrats on your new gear! I have the 4645c myself, and absolutely love it! Where do you cross the speakers to the subs?

Hi
I am using on 4641 Highpass 25Hz BW24 and Lowpass 80Hz LR24 and Highpass 80Hz LR to main sub on 3731.

Mctwins
11-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Now put on Louie Louie and blast it on 11

Have blast lot's of songs thru these speakers:D

Mctwins
11-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi
Here is a freq response with the subs. All other measurements is the same.

Mctwins
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi
Have done some changes to my system. Add another Crown MAI5000i to the 3731 subs and changed the two tubes to MC252 in mono for the M/T.

I have now;

1250 Watts to 4641 subs
1250 Watts to 3731 subs
500 Watts MC252(mono)
all in 8 ohms.

Now the speakers comes alive.

Change the dbx PA+ to dbx260.
Thanks

1audiohack
02-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Super cool! That's a very nice in room response plot by the way. I'll bet it's a lot of fun in there.

Jonas_h
02-25-2011, 07:39 AM
How's the fan noise on those Crown's? Are they noticeable when music is turned off?

Mctwins
02-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Hi
Jonas_h.....
It is noticble when you turn off the music. When I play music it dosen't bother me at all and I have two Crowns. I have a box with some isolation inside and it is more silence then with one amp without isolation. But off course, they are for proaudio where they are in racks in a seperate room where you don't hear them at all. But, they are great amps and does the jobb well done.:)
Thanks

LarryMcConville
04-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Mctwins,

I really dig your room/gear. Do you have a thread regarding your diy treatments? I really like how you implemented your ceiling treatments.

Regards,

Larry

Hi
It's been a long time I posted on this thread. I have added two JBL 4641 Subs and a Crown Macro-tech MA5000i amp to drive it:).

Jonas_h
05-10-2011, 05:00 AM
I have just received my Screen Array speakers (actually, the same as yours, just without the midrange section).

How have you chosen what crossover types/slopes to use? And have you done any time alignment measurements between the LF and MF/HF when setting up the crossover?

Mctwins
05-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi Mctwins,

I really dig your room/gear. Do you have a thread regarding your diy treatments? I really like how you implemented your ceiling treatments.

Regards,

Larry

Hi Larry, sorry for the late response.

I don't have any thread about how I built my room. It is to much to write about.:)
Thanks

Mctwins
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I have just received my Screen Array speakers (actually, the same as yours, just without the midrange section).

How have you chosen what crossover types/slopes to use? And have you done any time alignment measurements between the LF and MF/HF when setting up the crossover?

Hi
I only use the setting from GUI in the dbx260, actually settings provide from JBL.

No time alignments measurements has been done here, it is all in the dbx260. From the sub to the main speakers it is all in line. Between the LF and MF in 3731 is time delay 0,4millisec in the DSP dbx260.

It depends what kind of DSP you are using and it is not the same if you are using for ex Behringer crossover/DSP. If you are using Crown amps with build in DSP there is differences in the settings as well.

Just download the Driveware from dbx260 and see for yourself all the settings and also download the presetfile from JBLpro.

Thanks

Jonas_h
05-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the response! I hope it is ok that I ask questions in your thread :)

I have downloaded the Driverack presets, but unfortunately, they are unreadable unless I have an actual driverack. (if you know how I can read them, please do tell :))

Im looking for the settings for the 4722 - i'll try and contact JBL.

Mctwins
05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Hi
It's OK to ask question.

To download GUI driveware go to dbx website under downloads and then select" software/firmware" and choose DriveWare GUI and install it on your computer. You can play with this driveware and you don't have to connect the dbx260.

Go to JBLpro.com and then "downloads" then "tunings" and you will find the "Cinema tunings for the dbx DriveRack 260" and zip it up to your computer.

In driveware under "insert" choose "260DriveRack" and doubleklick the icon (dbx260) then rightklick on the top bar where it says DriveRack260 and import program and you will see all the files and choose the apropiate file. The file you choose is 4622 bi-amp.

It was confusing for me too in the beginning, but hey, welcome to the pro side.:)

Thanks

Mctwins
09-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Here is some new pictures and I am done and satisfied with this setup.52880

Mctwins
09-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Powerplant:52883

pos
09-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Impressive to say the least!
Do you have in-room measurement (RT60, etc.) ?

Are you always listening so close to the rear wall? (third photo)

martin_wu99
09-16-2011, 04:50 AM
Impressive to say the least!
Do you have in-room measurement (RT60, etc.) ?

Are you always listening so close to the rear wall? (third photo)
Hi pos,how's everything going?
how do you think about active-sero bass?such as YG acoustic
somebody think they are superior than the passive bass?

pos
09-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi Martin
Everything is going fine here (expect for the fact I am replacing all of my JBL drivers with TAD ones, one by one :D ), I hope to be able to post about my system as soon as it start sounding decent enough.
How about yours?

Concerning the servo subs, I have no idea: never used any of these...

Mctwins
09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi
Pos...
Yes, I always sit there and in the middle right in front of the Wing diffusor. You can sit where every you want when it comes to SMT acoustical products. Look at the beginnig of this thread, lots of measurements, before and after.:)

Thanks

pos
09-16-2011, 05:06 PM
great, thank you

martin_wu99
09-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Hi Martin
Everything is going fine here (expect for the fact I am replacing all of my JBL drivers with TAD ones, one by one :D ), I hope to be able to post about my system as soon as it start sounding decent enough.
How about yours?

Concerning the servo subs, I have no idea: never used any of these...
Great,seems you earned lots of money these days?:applaud:TAD is expensive by no means.
I'm too busy to setup my 4628 with DCX2496.
Could you recommend some better JBL?between 1400 array,4338,4348,4365,4600,4700,S143MKII?:confused:
9900 is too expensive

martin_wu99
09-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Powerplant:52883
Very nice room,I like your power machine.

Mctwins
12-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Hallo!

Here is a link with new measurements in the room. We did put four Flowerwings diffusor on the floor to remove the floor reflection. Pretty amasing result:D and the sound is amazing as well.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9664574-post182.html

Both Bobecca and I are very pleased with the performance of those four Flowerwings.

Room treatment:applaud: