PDA

View Full Version : JBL SK2-1000 anyone heard them?

woody
06-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi to everyone I am new here.

I am thinking of buying 3 SK2-1000 to place in my home cinema LCR. I was wondering if anyone had heard them.

Are they good for music as well as cinema sound and can they be placed lower than the screen and angled upwards to the listener as I dont have an acoustically transparent screen.

thanks for any help
best regards
Woody

hjames
06-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Looks like it would be these speakers
(Google is your friend!)

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/SK2-1000%20Hercules%20ts.pdf

woody
06-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Yes I have extensively Googled and seen the PDF link you posted.

Nice info if I ever needed spare parts but it does not answer any of my questions.

hjames
06-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Yes I have extensively Googled and seen the PDF link you posted.

Nice info if I ever needed spare parts but it does not answer any of my questions.

Right! I posted what I found - and since I have no first hand experience I said nothing else.

Perhaps someone else can answer your questions - it was pretty early when I posted, and there's members world wide that will answer a friendly newbie!

And its hard to know what new comers have found - lots of folks come here who have NOT googled their questions first.

woody
06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
No problems and thanks for taking the time to do a search. There does not seem to be any user reviews at all even though they have been out for a couple of years.

I suppose that a lot of people that buy at these price points are not the types that come on enthusiasts websites. They are not the prettiest of speakers which I dont mind too much as they will be in my cinema room.

I do hope that they also work well with stereo music as that will also be their function in life. Obviously because they dont go down too low they will be used with a subwoofer.

They are suposed to be designed as a centre in the Everest system (or as a LCR in the Atlas system). I assume due to that alone then I cannot see them being average but it would be nice if someone who has heard or owns them can comment.

cheers

Titanium Dome
06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi to everyone I am new here.

I am thinking of buying 3 SK2-1000 to place in my home cinema LCR. I was wondering if anyone had heard them.

Are they good for music as well as cinema sound and can they be placed lower than the screen and angled upwards to the listener as I dont have an acoustically transparent screen.

thanks for any help
best regards
Woody

Good morning and welcome.

A. Yes, I've heard them.

B. They are decent for music, but not as good as Everest, K2 S9900, 1400 Array, K2 S9800, SAM1HF/SAM2LF stack, or Performance Series PT800/PS1400 stack.

C. They are excellent for cinema, IMO better than the Performance Series, probably the 1400 Array, and possibly the K2 S9800.

D. Tilting them upward won't matter much for the LF unless they're just too close to the floor. With the HF, you'll need to be certain you understand the dispersion patterns of the horns and get them focused on the relevant listening position(s).

E. Unless you're getting a pretty good deal on them, the 1400 Array with an Array Center would give you better musicality and great cinema sound for quite a bit less.

moparfan
06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
B. They are decent for music, but not as good as Everest, K2 S9900, 1400 Array, K2 S9800, SAM1HF/SAM2LF stack, or Performance Series PT800/PS1400 stack.

Would that also be your ranking of them? Is the SAM stack with the factory passive crossover?

Titanium Dome
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM

Would that also be your ranking of them? Is the SAM stack with the factory passive crossover?

A little off thread, but hey, I'm still driving an '89 Chrysler's TC Maserati, so just for you... moparfan. ;)

For musicality:

Everest II
K2 S9900
Performance Series PT800/PS1400 stack
SAM1HF/SAM2LF stack (w/ S1S-EX)
1400 Array
K2 S9800

For cinematic effect:
SAM1HF/SAM2LF stack (w/ S1S-EX)
K2 S9900
Everest II
1400 Array
Performance Series PT800/PS1400 stack
K2 S9800

Yes, I did just put the K2 S9800 at the bottom, twice. That's not to say it's terrible, or even bad; it's quite good. But it has some nagging qualities that I find tiring.

Of course a lot of this has to do with where I heard them, so the only place I heard the Everest II in a home theater setting was at JBL Northridge, and my home theater with the SAM units seemed much better on balance. I'd like to hear the K2 S9900 in a real HT instead of a demo room. I think it would be a better HT fit than Everests, but the purpose-build SAMs really are pretty fantastic when installed right. To me, the Everest II and K2 S9900 are exquisite speakers for music that do pretty darn well when pressed into HT service, but IMO are slightly out of their element.

Some folks would put the 1400 Array ahead of the SAMs in musicality and many definitely would put the 1400 Arrays ahead of the Performance Series gear. I would not as a matter of personal preference.

This should generate some heat. :flamer:

woody
06-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Thank you for your reply.

I am getting a good deal and that really is the only reason I am considering them. I have never had JBL speakers before so all these models are completely new to me. I have heard the 1400 arrays but was not blown away although I think they were not set up properly and the room did them no favours.

I was also considering the B&W 802 diamond and appropriate centre. I have always had a separate cinema room and hifi system but would now like to combine them without losing anything from each in the compromise. My old cinema speakers are the M&K S-150.

There was another reply earlier on here which seems to have been deleted. It spoke of the horn being stressed and people losing their jobs??

thanks again.
Woody

woody
06-29-2010, 07:41 AM
D. Tilting them upward won't matter much for the LF unless they're just too close to the floor. With the HF, you'll need to be certain you understand the dispersion patterns of the horns and get them focused on the relevant listening position(s).

I have read 30 deg on the vertical and 60 deg on the horizontal. For the horizontal does this mean that if I was looking down from the top of the speaker and I have a line ruuning at 90 deg through the horn then I would have to be in a listening position within 30 deg either side of that line?

Hope that question makes sense?

thanks

Valentin
06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Jbl SK2 1000 are excellent speakers

i have heard them in a 3 front HT set up

allot of the results of how a system works has to do with the acoustics of the space and configuration
so please invest in some acoustic design

in my point of view array systems are way superior to performa series

Titanium Dome
06-29-2010, 12:04 PM
in my point of view array systems are way superior to performa series

Of course you do. I've seen your pictures. :)

Mr. Widget
06-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Some folks would put the 1400 Array ahead of the SAMs in musicality and many definitely would put the 1400 Arrays ahead of the Performance Series gear. I would not as a matter of personal preference.Personal preference is always a wild card.

I have heard all of these systems though never at the same time or under identical circumstances. At one point I was considering the SAM system vs. the 1400 Array system for my own use. I had a lengthy discussion with Greg Timbers (the system designer at JBL) and he said that it wasn't a competition. The 1400 Array was simply superior for musical reproduction.

As far as this thread is concerned, I'd second Mr. Dome's recommendation to go with a pair of 1400 Arrays and the 880 Array. That system won't be lacking in cinematic impact and will provide almost unsurpassed musical playback.

Widget

Valentin
06-29-2010, 04:09 PM
As far as this thread is concerned, I'd second Mr. Dome's recommendation to go with a pair of 1400 Arrays and the 880 Array. That system won't be lacking in cinematic impact and will provide almost unsurpassed musical playback.

Widget

+1

for one too three person a 5.1 hons all around array system is a killer No.1

1400 array
880 array
800 array
1500 array
+ good acoustics

woody
06-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I cannot really consider the 1400 array due to their height would bring the horns into my screen area.
I am considering the SK2 as they are much easier to place below (or behind my screen when I get an acoustically transparent screen) I have quite a wide screen and do not have the room to place speakers at the very edges.

I do have acoustic treatment in the room with base traps, helmholz resonators in my seat staging and columns. I also have high density rockwool covered in cloth up to just higher than ear height.
thanks
woody

Valentin
06-30-2010, 06:55 AM
well the Sk2 1000 are great speakers and if you are geting them at a special price go for them. it a win win situation

their impact and high freq resolution is somthing incredible alsow they can handle lots of power whith no aparent distortion. somthing that a direct radiator system cant offer in a speaker of that size.

woody
07-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Thanks Valentin,

I will post back and give my impressions when I get them. Hopefully it will be good reports. I am expecting good things and I hope not to be dissapointed. It will be around 3 weeks time.

cheers
woody

Valentin
07-02-2010, 08:07 AM
PLEASE LET US KNOW

:bouncy:

Mr. Widget
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks Valentin,

I will post back and give my impressions when I get them. Hopefully it will be good reports. I am expecting good things and I hope not to be dissapointed. It will be around 3 weeks time.

cheers
woodyWill you also be using a JBL sub and the Synthesis electronics for room correction?

Widget

Valentin
07-02-2010, 10:04 AM
will you also be using a jbl sub and the synthesis electronics for room correction?

Widget

that realy helps :)

woody
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
My current processor is the Lexicon MC12BHDEQ so has built in EQ although it will not be as good as the dedicated room correction for the Synthesis system. That will be a future upgrade probably the 3000 model.

My sub will also have the EQ built in but will be the Paradigm Sub 2 which is one of the most powerful domestic subs out there (around 4500 watts RMS :blink:)

Mr. Widget
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
My sub will also have the EQ built in but will be the Paradigm Sub 2 which is one of the most powerful domestic subs out there (around 4500 watts RMS :blink:)Hmmm.... Paradigm is certainly decent, but there is no way that the amp is a real 4500 watt RMS amp. Is it on a 40 amp circuit? Of course not. Also a big amp isn't necessarily a sign of powerful... acoustic output is what it's all about.

Sorry... just pushed a button. I am sure it is a fine sub. Do look into better room EQ. That older Lexicon design is a bit lacking.

Widget

Titanium Dome
07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Do look into better room EQ. That older Lexicon design is a bit lacking.

Widget

One could say that about all of Lexicon's current crop of processors. I wish there were some indication that Lex/Harman even understand this problem and are working on newer gear.

woody
07-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Hmmm.... Paradigm is certainly decent, but there is no way that the amp is a real 4500 watt RMS amp. Is it on a 40 amp circuit? Of course not. Also a big amp isn't necessarily a sign of powerful... acoustic output is what it's all about.

Widget

It is if your voltage is 240 ;)

Lexicon are supposed to be working on a new processor. There was some information on the SMR forum a few weeks ago. Hopefully it will be out next year.