PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy With My L150A's. What Other Speakers To Try ?

parisphoto
06-24-2010, 06:10 PM
After hooking up my "new" L150A's, I am afraid to say that I am hugely underwhelmed.
They sound flat & lifeless. They were purchased from an extremely reputable person who was the original owner. Correctly re-foamed, new crossovers, etc. Everyone who has listened to them agree that my L-100's sound much, much, better.
My "work flow" is an Ipod, w/.wav files thru a Wadia 170i to a Vincent hybrid amp with 100 wpc @ 8 ohms.
I love my L-100's, but I am looking for another set of speakers with a lot of tight bass and a large sound.
What's my next step? Any JBL, or other speaker recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Robh3606
06-24-2010, 06:39 PM
After hooking up my "new" L150A's, I am afraid to say that I am hugely underwhelmed.

Why don't you turn off the L100's for a couple of weeks and then revisit this??

Rob:)

SEAWOLF97
06-24-2010, 06:58 PM
They sound flat & lifeless. They were purchased from an extremely reputable person who was the original owner..

did you demo these before purchase ? if so, you must have liked them enough to purchase ?

look at the differences between the demo setup and your install ....changes in room & electronics ??

After using L166's, I was initially disappointed in my new (to me) 250ti's ...but that passed quickly as my hearing acclimated to a more natural sound from an overly punchy one...

grumpy
06-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Interesting, if not surprising results.

I have 4311A's (not -too- far from L100, with similar characteristics)
as well as L150A's. I'll suggest that in addition to needing a fairly large
space, and sounding 'tighter' with a large solid state amp, The L150A's
will never sound like L100's. L150A's are much flatter, go lower and higher
etc..., but if you have to have that L100 thump and forward mid, the L150A's
are not worth trying to 'fix' (ignoring a certain member's gleeful bastardization
for now). Just flip the L150A's and make someone else's day :)

If you haven't given up and are willing to experiment a bit, see if you can
borrow a high-current capabilty, low output impedance, 200w+/ch amp
and let them grow on you a bit, as Rob (and then Seawolf ... I type too
slowly) was suggesting.

You might find that you can hear things that the L100's particular emphases
tend to cover up.

parisphoto
06-24-2010, 07:16 PM
I did not demo the speakers before buying.
I'm sure that there isn't anything wrong with the speakers. They're just not my flavor.
I do like the sound of the L-100s. I am trying to get more "thump" with an overall "bigger" sound.
Any recommendations for a speaker that may fit my specs?

BMWCCA
06-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Correctly re-foamed, new crossovers, etc. Guess which part of that sentence got my antennae up?

What was changed in the crossovers? Were they "improved"? Recapped? Modded? I'm not a defender of the L150A, just a happy owner. But I've heard better, and own better. But you may be comparing apples and someone's idea of a similar hybrid fruit genetically engineered to taste like a grapefruit for all we know. :(

+1 on the more-powerful amp and cleansing your mental palette of the L100 sound for a bit. For all we know you may be right and they sound like crap, but it wouldn't be the L150A's fault, IMHO. :crying:

parisphoto
06-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Mea Culpa.
The crossovers were not changed. The pots were replaced w/JBL parts.

Titanium Dome
06-24-2010, 10:12 PM
A lot of people have been (and are) very pleased with the L150A. In most respects, it should be better than an L100, and there's plenty of testimony to that.

I'm not in that camp, however, so it's not surprising to me that you'd find the L150A to be less pleasing that an L100. Sometimes we just don't like something and nothing can change that.

The advice you've received is sound: let your ears and brain acclimate to the different L150A sound for a week or so, and get a more powerful amp. These in fact may help.

But I'd have to say you could dip an L150A in chocolate, cover it with nuts, and put whipped cream and a cherry on top, and I still wouldn't want it. OTOH hand, I've got two pairs of L100s, my original '70s purchase and a pair I got used but mint about two years ago. They're definitely not the best speakers I have by a long shot, but I really like them and wouldn't part with them. No chocolate or cherry needed... :biting:

You really could do much better than an L100, but the L150A probably is not going to get you anywhere you want to go. Additionally, you won't find anything that's going to be "more" L100 than an L100. It's kind of unique for reasons that don't really mean much today. A used pair of L100T3 speakers might be worth considering, as would a 120Ti or 240Ti. I'd take any of those over an L150A. In fact I took two pairs of 240Ti. :)

4313B
06-25-2010, 07:36 AM
They sound flat & lifeless.Cut out the 044 and LE5 holes and mount a 12"x12" waveguide with a 2452H-SL bolted on the back and replace the two 12-inch devices with some 2204H's and then you won't be underwhelmed. I recommend the 2204H's over the 2206H's because they have a bit more bottom end. That will get you a 98 dB SPL system that should pin your ears back a bit.

The 4313/4313B/L96/L112/L150A are benign systems intended for smooth wideband reproduction while minimizing listener fatigue. Mr. Excitement they are not. The L110, L150, L212 and L250 are even smoother and more benign so don't go that way.

Don C
06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
You want speakers that sound big and have some midrange emphasis? Try some Klipsch Cornwalls.

rdgrimes
06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
FWIW, there are L-pads on the 150A, and they're there for a reason. There's also a thing called "EQ" that might be advantageous.

That said, I'll second the statement that they do require a lot of space and power to really do their stuff.

Tim Rinkerman
06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
" My "work flow" is an Ipod, w/.wav files thru a Wadia 170i to a Vincent hybrid amp with 100 wpc @ 8 ohms."
Your music source is an Ipod :banghead: and you think the speakers are flat and lifeless...trying to explain the importance of dynamic range to the sound of something, is like trying to explain the color blue to someone who has been blind since birth....

parisphoto
06-25-2010, 11:32 AM
" My "work flow" is an Ipod, w/.wav files thru a Wadia 170i to a Vincent hybrid amp with 100 wpc @ 8 ohms."
Your music source is an Ipod :banghead: and you think the speakers are flat and lifeless...trying to explain the importance of dynamic range to the sound of something, is like trying to explain the color blue to someone who has been blind since birth....
My understanding is that because I'm using a .wav file, which is umcompressed, going thru the Wadia dock, which bypasses the Ipod's internal DAC, the music should be at a relatively high fidelity. Please coreect me if I am wrong.

grumpy
06-25-2010, 11:48 AM
should be ok with that. I'd guess this is just a personal taste thing. Good to find
out what you like, and still test the waters elsewhere now & then (palates change).

SEAWOLF97
06-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I did not demo the speakers before buying.

why not ? any speaker over the price of an outright steal should be demo'ed for just the reason of this thread.

There's also a thing called "EQ" that might be advantageous. .

absolutely ...maybe correct some of the room problems that the L100's dont pickup.

actually lossless digital files can sound great ...he likes the same files over the L100's, so the source is likely not the culprit.. It also depends on what type of music is being played.....the rap on the L100's is "Fake but Fun" and they are, I guess its what you want out of your speakers that may be a determining factor...many of us want true to the music sound, others want fun. His 100wpc may be fine for the century's, but underpowering the 150a's.

try the 150a's for a while...you arent married to them, give them a month and if still no magic, resell them. Thats pretty much how many on this forum have arrived at their current setups.

Titanium Dome
06-25-2010, 01:03 PM
I guess its what you want out of your speakers that may be a determining factor...many of us want true to the music sound, others want fun. .

I think this statement is disingenuous. It begs the question, "Why must it be one or the other?" For me, I want both, not one or the other. If you tell me I can't have both, I'm coming up there to bite your hand. :biting:

grumpy
06-25-2010, 01:12 PM
:rotfl: If it's not fun, someone's not doing something right :D

SEAWOLF97
06-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Last edited by Titanium Dome; Today at 01:04 PM. Reason: change of anatomy

change of anatomy ??? :confused: SRS ? You didn't ?? did you ?

come on up Dome (ette) , escape from the anthill will do some good.
We'll have a nice laugh.

The more powerful amp alone is probably not going to do it for the L150's if the sound is too "polite". Although you may just find you can get used to it. I did the same thing as I transitioned from JBL940->XPL140->L250->250Ti.

Each step was a little less "wow" and more "that's really nice...I think I'll put on another album...oh look..it's 3am already...."
jblnut

If Wow=Fun, then you are agreeing with the statement that Doug has trouble with..although I'd like to follow his advise and try the 120Ti or 240Ti.

jblnut
06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Shouldn't someone have suggested the 4425/4430 ? Wouldn't that be the bigger/more dynamic sound the OP is looking for ?

OK - I'll do it then...:)

Seek ye out the horn-loaded 4425 or 4430 if you're looking for a little more "wow".

The more powerful amp alone is probably not going to do it for the L150's if the sound is too "polite". Although you may just find you can get used to it. I did the same thing as I transitioned from JBL940->XPL140->L250->250Ti.

Each step was a little less "wow" and more "that's really nice...I think I'll put on another album...oh look..it's 3am already...."

jblnut

Robh3606
06-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Seek ye out the horn-loaded 4425 or 4430 if you're looking for a little more "wow".

He already has a flatter speaker. If he likes the "tailored" response of the Control Monitors over the real Monitors like the 4425/4430 it's not going to work for him unless he EQ's them to that curve.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?4408-JBL-Technical-Notes-Volume-1-Number-15

Rob:)

DavidF
06-26-2010, 09:25 AM
They sound flat & lifeless. They were purchased from an extremely reputable person who was the original owner. Correctly re-foamed, new crossovers, etc. Everyone who has listened to them agree that my L-100's sound much, much, better.
My "work flow" is an Ipod, w/.wav files thru a Wadia 170i to a Vincent hybrid amp with 100 wpc @ 8 ohms.
I love my L-100's, but I am looking for another set of speakers with a lot of tight bass and a large sound.
What's my next step? Any JBL, or other speaker recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I would piggy back on Don's recommendation to jump over to Klipsch. Go for their "house sound" that is. The Forte is an option for less floor space and can usually be had for less of "premium". They have a similar spectrum emphasis for mid-to-lower-treble articulation. Not as much mid bass thump but more in terms of real bass response. Not as much power handling overhead but OK up to a point.

robertbartsch
06-26-2010, 10:39 AM
In my collection is a pair of 4312s that are similar to the L100s. Each time I listen, I like them more. They are now running from a 125wpc Denon receiver.

All speakers are unique and thats why I collect them and that is why this hobbby is fun.

If you prefer the L100s, then swap the duds and buy another pair of L100s. The suggestion to try the 4425/4430 is also a good one if you are looking for punch. Obviously, these perform better with big power.

parisphoto
07-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, after living with my 150A's for a month, I've decided that they're just not my flavor. They seem to be a much less colored speaker and for sustained listening are much easier on my ears than the L-100s. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position seriously listen for a sustained length of time. I'm stuck in a "hit & run" listening lifestyle at the moment.
Sincere thanks for all the responses and patience putting up with a newbie.
I will be replacing the L-150As with another JBL model. Just have to find the right one for me.

robertbartsch
07-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I took a stroll on e-bay recently and was surprised to see the values of the 12" 3-ways (L100s, 4312s, etc.) in good shape going for +$600 before shipping. I love my pair and had to go the extra mile to get everything exactly right seeing these are typically +30 years old.

Since you already have a pair of these, however, you might be much better off with a newer circa 2-way system with a compression driver.

The 4430 is an excellent choice that you would like. It needs some moderately high power (e.g., 150wpc, fore example) to show off its best stuff, however. I think these typically go for $1200-$1500 or so but that is a guess.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

SEAWOLF97
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Well, after living with my 150A's for a month, I've decided that they're just not my flavor. They seem to be a much less colored speaker and for sustained listening are much easier on my ears than the L-100s. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position seriously listen for a sustained length of time. I'm stuck in a "hit & run" listening lifestyle at the moment.
Sincere thanks for all the responses and patience putting up with a newbie.
I will be replacing the L-150As with another JBL model. Just have to find the right one for me.

my $.02 : if you like the L100 sound , dont even think of 250ti's , but see if you can audition L-166's ....they are like a more refined super L100.