PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Olympus C50 cabinets

jag
06-22-2010, 08:44 AM
My C50 Olympus S8R system is now 40 years old and I've removed all components from the cabinets and brought them to a JBL shop for upgrade and repair. I want to refurbish the cabinets as well which are a dark walnut finish. Years ago, I had instructions on maintenance of these cabinets but they have been long lost. Does anyone have instructions on the correct way of refinishing the outside of these C50 Olympus cabinets?

xbartx
06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
The original literature that came with my Olympus speakers were about maintaining the finish not restoring them. I have scanned a copy of them them for you.
-Brad

Audiobeer
07-24-2010, 12:24 AM
My C50 Olympus S8R system is now 40 years old and I've removed all components from the cabinets and brought them to a JBL shop for upgrade and repair. I want to refurbish the cabinets as well which are a dark walnut finish. Years ago, I had instructions on maintenance of these cabinets but they have been long lost. Does anyone have instructions on the correct way of refinishing the outside of these C50 Olympus cabinets?

Jag, I will be refinishing mine soon and can walk you through it. Send me youer emil via PM.

jag
09-28-2010, 09:11 AM
The original literature that came with my Olympus speakers were about maintaining the finish not restoring them. I have scanned a copy of them them for you.
-Brad

Thank you. I used the instructions describing use of linseed oil and gum turpentine and the finish now looks great. I appreciate your response and feedback. Now, I have to repair the holes on the grille framee. Over thje years, the holes became distorted and worn so that the grilles don't stay firmly attached to the cabinets.

jag
09-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Jag, I will be refinishing mine soon and can walk you through it. Send me youer emil via PM.
Thank you. I followed the instructions provided by xbartx and got very good results. I appreciate your response.

Audiobeer
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Post some pics and let us see those beauties! What's your impression of how they sound?