PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster K2 !

richluvsound
06-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Hi All ,

everything except adhesives is pre-owned or from a skip !

richluvsound
06-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Sorry , there is no order. :(

pos
06-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Nice!
I thought you were doing Array clones?
Do you put the horn in a separate dog box? If not, how do you seal it?

It also looks like you are putting some sort of goop (à la Westlake) on the braces (and surfaces I suppose)? Please tell us more about that.

Robh3606
06-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Looking good!

Rob:)

spkrman57
06-21-2010, 07:31 AM
I can't wait for pics of the finished product!

Ron

badman
06-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Wow, that horn fabrication is a beauty!

lowpoke
06-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Man, nice workshop! (Cabinets look pretty good too.) ;)

richluvsound
06-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Nice!
I thought you were doing Array clones?
Do you put the horn in a separate dog box? If not, how do you seal it?

It also looks like you are putting some sort of goop (à la Westlake) on the braces (and surfaces I suppose)? Please tell us more about that.

Hi Thomas,

sikaflex on anything that when tapped sounded too higher FQ .... the horn has the same material on it 20 mm thick . The horn is made of fibre glass matt then built up in Slate powder and resin mix .
The mounting ring for the woofer is also floating on Sikaflex .

The bottom curved panel is filled with sand and resin ,

the baffle is 51mm thick and the cab walls are 40mm partical board .

The base is 90 mm MDF and the top , removable , is 33mm laminated birch ply.

As for the dog box ? I wanted to keep the size down and I'm hoping with the amount of damping on the horn I'll get away with without one . I will add one if needed .

Decided to use 2234 and 2435, box tuned to around 35-40 htz . I wanted more punch and less boom !
CC networks from yours truly , Maple veneer as its really cheap at the moment and I have some solid kicking around to use up .

The mounting plates for the 2435 are laminated ally and Corian. I had collected all kinds of junk in the old workshop and have had to be quite inventive to make things work. The work shop belongs to a good friend who had stored the cabs for me until I was fit enough to do something with them .

In exchange I'm teaching him how to turn things on a lathe, both metal and wood ... all I need now is a milling machine and I can start making heat sinks and face plates for amp building . I have access to a foundry to cast the heat sinks in bronze, copper or ally ....

I'll post some more pics when I have had a chance to find my camera ...

thanks for everything ;) Pos.

Richard

cooky1257
06-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Looking good Rich, nice to see you back in the groove.
Cooky

Andyoz
06-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Reading the thread title, am I the only one here that thought Rich had found some K2's in a London dumpster :blink:

ps. Those Westlake BBSM12's in Dublin are still for sale (I think).

richluvsound
06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Reading the thread title, am I the only one here that thought Rich had found some K2's in a London dumpster :blink:

ps. Those Westlake BBSM12's in Dublin are still for sale (I think).

yep, and there is a Pass Labs amp and a Accuphase CD player back in the shop !

not this year dear .... :D

macaroonie
07-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I can see where this is heading. More pic lazy bones , it looks great so far. Flares are very very tasty :)

richluvsound
07-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Got company for a couple of weeks so things have slowed up touch . Venner is being ordered as soon as I finish this reply :)

more pics next week !

robertbartsch
07-07-2010, 04:37 AM
...looks great so far.

I have purchased some veneer for a new finish on a pair of VOTT cabs so I would like to see how this is done.

Thx...

pos
08-02-2010, 07:04 AM
sikaflex on anything that when tapped sounded too higher FQ .... the horn has the same material on it 20 mm thick .
I found that Sikaflex comes in many flavors:
http://www.sikaindustry.com/ipd-ma-products
Which one do you use? How do you apply it to get 20mm layers?
It looks a lot like the famous westlake goop.

richluvsound
08-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Pos ,

sikaflex is the product ... comes in a tube that fits into a large sealant gun . The layers were built up in stages of about 6mm . Takes 24 hours to set . Cleans up with white spirit .

I'll post some picks of the horns tomorrow

Rich

badman
08-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi Pos ,

sikaflex is the product ... comes in a tube that fits into a large sealant gun . The layers were built up in stages of about 6mm . Takes 24 hours to set . Cleans up with white spirit .

I'll post some picks of the horns tomorrow

Rich

Which version? The 291 and 552 both seem applicable as do others.

richluvsound
08-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Pic up date !

grumpy
08-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Nice progress!

Well there you go... don't see it on the sikausa.com site:

http://www.sika.co.uk/uk-home/uk-con/uk_construction-builders-merchants/uk_construction-adhesives-sealant-fillers.htm