PDA

View Full Version : 2350/2328/2482 road case plans?

Guy in WNY
06-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Hello,
I need help locating plans for the simple road case (or box or cabinet or enclosure) for the ever popular 2350/2328/2482 combination. The plan I’m looking for has a plate with a hole the OD of the driver in it, near the back of the box, to hold up that heavy driver. The top is removable to get to the “L” bracket that is on the 2328, and then there are the 4 screws that secure the 2350 itself. I’ve searched the site every way I can think of, and can’t find a plan for this case. I found plans for some really complicated enclosures, but nothing on these simple road case type of boxes. I pulled my horns out of a black painted beat up ½” plywood road case about 25 years ago, with the plan of copying the cabinet grade plywood cases my other set of 2350/2328/2440’s were in, but I let another band borrow them and never got them back.
Could somebody email me the plans or a link to the plans? I KNOW I’ve seen them before, but I don’t recall just where…
Thanks,

Guy in WNY
07-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Hello, it’s me again.
Well, about 100 views on my DIY request for plans. No takers yet, so I guess I’ll draw up plans of my own, make the boxes, to be sure it all fits OK, and then post up that info to this thread. I own a table saw and a router and know how to use them – sort of. :blink: I’ve done some simple projects around the house here, some decorative stuff for the deck, things like that.
I did have the stereo in the back yard for our 4th of July party, and those horns sure sound nice about 30 feet away! Sure wish my family room was larger.
I’ll be sure to take some photos as I go also. Should be able to get it done before the end of August.:p
Sure would have liked to start with a known working plan, though.
Later,

Guy in WNY
07-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I've completed my CAD drawing for the horn box and would like to post it up tomorrow night. Looking for the "Peer review" from any of you experienced wood workers out there. Tips, like should I lay all the panels out on the plywood sheet before cutting it up or just do it on the fly? How about the large holes and handholds? Should I cut them before cutting the panel out? How large is a screw/glue block? I was thinking of test assembling the box bottom, inner panel, sides, and rear, then putting the top on last, marking and predrilling all the screw/glue blocks. See how the horn fits in. Then make any adjustments, take it apart, and put the glue on the joints and assemble it for real. Does that sound right to you? How would you do this?
Looking forward for comments after I post up the plans.
Thanks,

Guy in WNY
07-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Here it is.

07-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I've completed my CAD drawing for the horn box and would like to post it up tomorrow night. Looking for the "Peer review" from any of you experienced wood workers out there. Tips, like should I lay all the panels out on the plywood sheet before cutting it up or just do it on the fly? How about the large holes and handholds? Should I cut them before cutting the panel out? How large is a screw/glue block? I was thinking of test assembling the box bottom, inner panel, sides, and rear, then putting the top on last, marking and predrilling all the screw/glue blocks. See how the horn fits in. Then make any adjustments, take it apart, and put the glue on the joints and assemble it for real. Does that sound right to you? How would you do this?
Looking forward for comments after I post up the plans.
Thanks,

Looks pretty good!

Pre-fitting is a good idea. Are you going to make a front cover? I used those twist locks like you see on road cases for my 3 ft. wide lense cases. (They are so huge, I put wheels on the back.) I also lined the covers with carpet to protect the finish on the lenses. Normally I'd use "One By" (3/4" by 3/4") stock for glue blocks. Using plywood only works if you are running screws into it from one side (through the plys, not between them), so solid wood is best for corners. Home Depot has some pre-cut one by stock in short lengths...

Guy in WNY
07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Are you going to make a front cover?
Yes.
I used those twist locks like you see on road cases for my 3 ft. wide lense cases.
Yes. Parts Express has a number of different "Penn-Elcom L905 Butterfly Latches" about 8 bucks each.
(They are so huge, I put wheels on the back.) I also lined the covers with carpet to protect the finish on the lenses.
Good idea, although they will be in my house most of the time.
Normally I'd use "One By" (3/4" by 3/4") stock for glue blocks. Using plywood only works if you are running screws into it from one side (through the plys, not between them), so solid wood is best for corners. Home Depot has some pre-cut one by stock in short lengths...[/QUOTE]
Yes. That is where I was going to get my wood.

Thanks for the input.

Tim Rinkerman
07-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Good plans! The only thing I would do different, even though it is harder, is use an L shaped piece of steel to bolt the horn throat adapter to the box, instead of using a plywood hole around the driver. It does not take much of an impact to transfer enough energy to the driver to break the driver's internal throat when it's held in the box like that. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.
WNY,eh? I'm originally from Buffalo...I dragged 4 of those things up and down the NYS thruway for 15 years...quite some time ago!:)

P.S. You got one of the best case hardware companies in the country right there...if you got creative, you could build them "Anvil Case" style...
http://www.tchweb.com/tchstore/home.do