PDA

View Full Version : JBL L100 vent

sperkerchef
06-20-2010, 06:33 AM
I have two pairs of the L100 Century straight line speakers. The bass ports do not have tubes in them. Also there is no insulation on the port side. I have been told that the first version of the L100's are not near field like the later version L100's were. Which version is more sought after? And why such a difference in the bass port between the two?

Thanks

sperkerchef
11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
This thread was originally posted by my dad, we share this account and I'm usually the one posting. Since then I've filled him in with all regarding the questions he posted except the l100 in-line vent. I've heard that some came with a piece of cardboard which was used for the tuned bass port and some didn't. Every in-line pair I've seen has simply had a vent, does anyone have any additional information on this and why there is a lack of a tuned bass port?

Don C
11-19-2010, 12:55 PM
It's not really the case that there is no port, the walls of the cabinet provide a port 3/4 of an inch long. By reducing the diameter JBL was able to make this work and save a few cents.

sperkerchef
11-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Makes since, I actually think the bass sounds better in the in-lines anyway because of the crossover. But yea that seems like a good point. Thanks man.