PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a 2240H

gillspice
06-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Hello,

I picked up a 2240H for $5 at a yard sale and have been pondering what to do with it for the past few months. I've read that it is really more for sound reinforcement applications than for home theater and I also read that it can be used in similar alignments as the 2242H. I don't really want to have it reconed, I'd like to just build a box for it. I would use it occasionally for sound reinforcement (weddings, parties) but most of the time I'd have it in the home theater.

I have been thinking of building a copy of the 4645C to put it in. How well would a 2240H work in a 4645C? Is there another box that would be more suited? I found one reference design that is a 6 cubic ft box tuned to 40 Hz that is supposed to give maximally flat low frequency response, but I'd rather sacrifice some flatness to get more low end (with EQ if necessary) since I'd use it in a home theater some oh the time.

Any thoughts?

grumpy
06-17-2010, 12:28 PM
if you build a 4645 box, tuned to 30Hz, the modeled responses
look something like this, if all low-passed using 80Hz L-R filter (in other words,
the box is in control) ... I added the 6ft3/40Hz tuning as well (white):

Note that this isn't showing SPL, just the levels with respect to midband
output, so only compare the curve shapes, not the levels. The SPL curves
would have been more helpful but I deleted them, and it's time to eat. :(

robertbartsch
06-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I had two dead 2240s reconed to 2245s and they need lots of power.

If it is in good condition, use it in a huge box for HT. The 2240 is fairly effecient.