PDA

View Full Version : Oblate Spheroid 2 way with 2426h and 2226h

badman
06-14-2010, 10:47 AM

Very simple crossover with impedance compensation on both drivers, and a first order (electrical) filter on each. Impedance comp is a zoebel on the woofer and 2 notches and a parallel damping R on the compression driver. Still could use some further refinement but sounds good here!

Robh3606
06-14-2010, 12:15 PM
What's your crossover point?? Those look big so under 1K? Where did you get them??

Rob:)

badman
06-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Crossover is actually really at about 1600 where the 2226h peters out, the inductor on it is small at .55mH so it really only mildly suppresses the top of its response. Zoebel is 20uF 10 ohm but would perform a few dB better in the breakup region with 60 and 8, so I'll likely change that out. I'm also looking at improving the highpass filter a little bit, right now it's fairly smooth with just 5uF blocking cap, but if I do 10uF in parallel with 6 ohms, and another 10uF in series, I get a little better matching at the XO point.

I built the horns, out of a lot of resin, styrofoam, casting cloth, plywood, and epoxy. It took some serious doing but I'm very pleased with the result. The throat plug is reticulated foam a la geddes, and extends to the phase plug. Bug screen has been removed and the throat is smoothed with modeling clay.