PDA

View Full Version : JBL Serial Numbers

rgwalker
06-13-2010, 01:39 PM
How do JBL serial numbers work and were they continued from one incarnation of the company to another. I have a pair of 150-4Cs with serial numbers 12832 and 12837. There is a pair currently on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220621250859&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123 that are labeled 'Jim Lansing By Ampex' with serial numbers 21231 and 21235. I'm assuming that the latter are from an earlier company and that the serial number coding has nothing to do with JBL but I'm curious.

Bob W

BMWCCA
06-13-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm assuming that the latter are from an earlier company and that the serial number coding has nothing to do with JBL but I'm curious.Not an earlier company but contract work. I've no idea if or how the serial numbers relate. I'm sure one of this site's "elders" will take a stab at it.

Woofer
10-19-2010, 09:14 AM
..... I'm sure one of this site's "elders" will take a stab at it.

I guess not, as I too would like to know how the numbers work... :confused:
.... but I'll start a new more specific thread to my need to know. ;)

Harvey Gerst
10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm sure one of this site's "elders" will take a stab at it.
I guess that's me. I'm an elder. :crying:

As I recall, George Martin (Jim Lansing's brother) was in charge of keeping track of serial numbers (on Fletcher Drive, and on Casitas Avenue). He entered all the serial numbers he had used each day in a small book he kept at his workbench. I believe that book got destroyed in a fire. That was the only record of which serial number was used - and when.

The only other possible source might be the nameplate company (was it Nelson Nameplate?) who might still have some records as to serial number batches they made during a period. I think we ordered about 3 or 4 months worth at a time.