PDA

View Full Version : Cinema Treasures

07-31-2004, 08:55 AM
This is a great website for old theater buffs. It is updated almost daily.

It might be useful in tracking down old Lansing products. For example, read the article about the Astor Plaza Theater in Time's Square closing. It was built in 1974. Probably loaded with Altec gear. Maybe one of our Lansing Heritage members could rescue them.

www.cinematreasures.org

08-10-2004, 02:55 PM
I just read the recent article about this theater on the cinema treasures site. They are looking for a new sound system. I remember I had a conversation with a JBL employee about this theater several years ago. They said that this theater had a system similar to the big Westrex system. Horn loaded base cabinets etc.. Perhaps it is still there and someone could trade them old for new. I am sure a system like that is worth a lot.

I am on the East Coast and can't do it. I wouldn't be surprised that if they put in a new system, that they throw the old one in the trash!

Mr. Widget
08-10-2004, 09:02 PM
If the Rialto still has it's vintage sound system or not I couldn't tell you, but I am glad to hear that they are doing well enough to replace their system. In the mid to late '80s I lived in Pasadena and the Rialto had a pretty poor sounding system.

No bass and no highs. Just the sort of thing those collectors seem to like.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad that there are those who preserve and collect this stuff, I am also equally glad when a movie house is able to update to a modern "high fidelity" sound system and not be chopped up into mini screening rooms.

Widget

08-11-2004, 06:55 AM
I also saw a movie at the Rialto several years ago. The theater was drafty and not in the best shape. However, it still was original and not cut up.

The sound was not all that good. I agree that the new stuff is better in almost every way. However, I would hate to see the vintage stuff tossed.

Perhaps the best theater to see a movie is the Chinese in Hollywood. If you have not seen a movie there, you are missing out.

I have heard that JBL works very closely with The Chinese in order to make that theater state of the art.

dancing-dave
08-11-2004, 08:54 AM
The AMC Burbank 16 isn't all that lovely, but does have a great sound system featuring subwoofers all along the bottom of the scree. Also the Fox Theatre in Westwood has a good system.

I've never experienced an Altec Voice of the Theatre system knowingly. Do horn loaded systems like this lack the high crispness and "balls" that a modern THX system has?

08-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Unfortunately, the majority of movie theater's sound systems are so bad it is very hard to judge.

I think the best of today's systems are much better than the old ones. With dedicated subs and often 3 way systems above that, they have greater bandwidth and greater dynamic range.

I used to have a nearby theater(since torn down) that was set up with A-5's behind screen(five of them). I think this was standard for 70mm. The sound was always great. Maybe it did not have the very bottom or very top end of todays systems, but the rest sounded great.

These older two way systems were simpler and easier to maintain. I can't tell you how many times I have been to a multiplex theater where the sound system was just not working properly. Blown speakers or electronic problems seem to be the norm. Often the subs are not properly coordinated with the system and are usually way too loud. I would rather have an old Altec system working properly than a newer more complicated system that is not.

I think AMC has some of the better new theaters. The Fox Westwood Village is a great theater, but does not compare to The Chinese. The Cinerama Dome in L.A. is also state of the art.