PDA

View Full Version : Replace woofer in 4412's?

mrvegas
06-13-2010, 12:13 PM
After 20 years of very light usage, one of my beloved 4412 Studio Monitors started popping. I took off the grill and put my finger on the speaker and it stopped popping. What is your advice? Is there a specific woofer that you recommend?

mrvegas
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't understand why nobody can answer this question.

grumpy
06-15-2010, 06:56 PM
It's not that no one can... this isn't a customer service desk. Did you call JBL pro?

http://www.jblproservice.com/index.html

128H-1, IIRC. replace it or recone it.

The forum with a difference
Never mind the weather (or cats)
When you come to LH,
The holiday's forever! haha!

Welcome!!

BMWCCA
06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Is there a specific woofer that you recommend?
The 128H-1 works pretty well.

Just one side? Both? Swapped channels to make sure it's the speaker not the source? Have they had surrounds replaced? Give the folks here some more to go on and maybe someone can offer a suggestion.

robertbartsch
06-16-2010, 12:11 PM
...probably looking at a recone to fix this. Does your amp dump DC current into the speaker output; I would get this checked out to make sure any possible electrical cause of the problem is eliminated first - before a repair on the woofer(s) is contemplated?

....In any event, fixing just one driver in a pair is not a good idea. If you have a woofer that needs to be re-coned, "fix" both drivers in the pair at the same time. This is standard procedure. JBL OEM re-cone kits may be hard to locate. If that is the case, you are looking at trying to find a used pair of matching woofers in good working condition.

Most knowlegeable people here would avoid non-JBL aftermarket recone kits for this any any other JBL drivers.

mrvegas
06-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the advice!