PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying these?

Monoblock
06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I found a pair of these with 605a's inside and the 1600 xover boxes. I can't find anything close after multiple searches covering multiple attempts. No badges, no labels, I assume they might be a third party cabinet set using Altec components but I'm not sure at all. I have found that it was not uncommon for large department stores (Famous and Barr - Macy's owned) to offer and market setups of their own furniture designs or likings. Too nice looking for home made, too well fitted and finsihed in respect to commercial production. They have a covered cut-out for placing a 15" woofer in the bottom for down firing the woofer and a large cut-out (now used as port/opening over the 605a duplex) looks as though it should fit a large horn. Any help would be appreciated. (they sound, spectacular...those are EV Regency's in the background next to a pair of Snell Type A first versions - for reference to the curious so please take note that this is my personal collection only and I sincerely have 0 interest in selling) If the link does not work to view the image please email me?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/Clickmiser/0c03a1ba.jpg

louped garouv
06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
No badges, no labels, I assume they might be a third party cabinet set using Altec components but I'm not sure at all. I have found that it was not uncommon for large department stores (Famous and Barr - Macy's owned) to offer and market setups of their own furniture designs or likings. Too nice looking for home made, too well fitted and finsihed in respect to commercial production. They have a covered cut-out for placing a 15" woofer in the bottom and a large cut-out (now used as port/opening over the 605a duplex) looks as though it should fit a large horn.

I would say you are likely correct in this line of thought.

good luck!

jerry_rig
06-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Bringing back memories -- we used to shop at Famous Barr in Clayton. I think they were owned by the May Company. I even saw a top shelf english rock band perform on the top floor in the mid-1960s. Makes sense that they might offer bespoke furniture grade speakers. Congrats on the nice score.

Monoblock
06-23-2010, 10:39 AM
As a follow up I finally came across this link and after browsing through years and pages...I saw Cabinets offered by "Rockford" that while not the same dimensions or exact design used the same sort of leg style. A sort of Modern Danish style in the 60's I assume.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

What a spectacular reference library this place has put together. When I was a kid growing up we would travel to visit relatives and of course I was often bored with nothing to do except browse catalogs and dream. Now 5o years later, here I find a resource where the order of things has reversed. I dreamed about what I'd like to have as a kid out of boredom and no real need while now dreaming about what I could have had through the necessity of a purpose.

I have a dilemma where something has to go now, EV Regency cabs with T25 and T350 horns (SP15) or these cabinets - to move the EV components and these Danish cabs and put the 605A's in the Regency cabs or whatever other combination I could achieve that has me keeping the 605A's - I'm about 97% convinced I'll keep the 605A'S, with a + or - of 3% for error. Chuck everything and build a Urei or 620 even? (mostly me brain farting out loud)

Famous was the Stereo Store in St. Louis and Lafayette Electronics, Olsen, Heath, Allied, and Radio Shack the builders dream stores.... before Flips and Hi Fi Fo Fum and others etched out a storefront flag in the ground. Maybe Tipton fell in there someplace, before CMC and Pacific Stereo....