PDA

View Full Version : JBL dual-12" 3-way Truck Box System info?

dougspeterson
06-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I am about to lay my hands on this single box system that was apparently made for a short time in the 90s. Of course the big question is: what were the drivers and are they comparable to the drivers that interest this forum? Anyone know the model number of the system or woofers?

I will report what I find here once I get it.

hjames
06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I am about to lay my hands on this single box system that was apparently made for a short time in the 90s. Of course the big question is: what were the drivers and are they comparable to the drivers that interest this forum? Anyone know the model number of the system or woofers?

I will report what I find here once I get it.

So - its Auto Audio gear, basically?
JBL has had a number of auto speakers - to be specific,
I think you need to pull the speakers from the cabinets and post driver models for any real discussion of specs and performance.

Slare
06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I can't find a pic but I am 99% sure I know what you are talking about. Wedge box, waffle grilles, orange JBL logo. Crutchfield sold them for awhile, prolly around 94-95.

I don't recall them being expensive, so I'm skeptical about the contents, but I've seen one on my local CL from time to time, so let me know what you find in there, eh?

dougspeterson
10-31-2010, 05:36 PM
I have a near-new one and as you might expect the component quality, while decent, is typical of the lower end JBL home speakers. Behind the screen the tweeter looks like a 1" titanium coated mylar dome (not the ubiquitous Audax 10mm), 4" small opened back midrange without a rear cup, and a budget 12" woofer that I believe is stamped steel with about a 40oz magnet. Still that's a lot of hardware for one box in a car, and it is amazing how loud and deep the bass is off of a few watts car stereo.

JBL has the info. GTB12.
http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductSupportDetails.aspx?PID=GT-B12