PDA

View Full Version : 4355 variant

Woody Banks
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
After what seems like a lifetime of delays, I have finally powered up the 4355 variants. I still haven't had time to play with the EQ or run a RTA but the current results are very promising. I am running a Bryston 3B on the top and a Bryston 4B for the woofers. That gives me 150watts and 400watts. These are controlled with a Quicksilver preamp and DBX Driverack PA.
The top end is very bright and detailed and quite impressive. The woofers are capable of some distinctive bass but are not to the level I was expecting. I believe that this is largely due to my learning curve with the DBX and the gain structure system setup. Still tweaking!
I can truthfully say that I have never heard anything like these beasts. Too bad they take up so much room and are heavier than a dead hippy.
I decided to vary from the stock components because I wanted to use the Smith horns and go for the Westlake look. I picked the ME120HPL to replace the 2202H because it modeled well in a small dog box. I needed to get back the internal volume I lost with the Smith horns.

louped garouv
06-02-2010, 04:37 PM
stunning....:applaud:

almost everytime i see projects posted here I am reminded how much
i need to practice my woodworking skills more!

bigyank
06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Woody, awe inspiring. You going to post some plots then soon?

Yank

Don Mascali
06-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Bueatiful work...

stephane RAME
06-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi
Nice work.
Should be put on a pedestal.
The horn should be at a height of 1.2 meters.
Your opinion.
Stéphane

Robh3606
06-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey they look nice!! How are the 120's working out?? Did you have to pad down the 2441/375 and 2405 to accomodate them. I would expect them to be less sensitive that the 2202's. You doing the standard 4355 network up top??

"The woofers are capable of some distinctive bass but are not to the level I was expecting."

Don't give up yet. The pair of 4350's I got a chance to here in a guys livingroom were very good to say the least. Big boxes to jockey around though. You need some furniture grade casters under those beasts!

Rob:)

Woody Banks
06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Rob. I think the Me120's are great little mid woofers. They measured out @92.5dB on my WT. I built a pair of upgraded 3155 clones thanks to Widget and Giskard posting the schematics. I used premium components such as the Goertz Alpha-Core copper ribbon inductors and Solen caps. I located the L pads on the rear baffle with access via the bass port.:D As it turned out with my ebay acquisitions, both of my 2441's have 2440 diaphragms. These will get changed as soon as I pull out of my financial nosedive.

dkalsi
06-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Ok - I'll buy them (I'm kidding - I know they are not for sale).

Would love to hear your impressions once you have them all dialed-in.

Ken Pachkowsky
06-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Similar looking to a Westlake HR1. I would like to read a review on them once setup properly.....:)

I have no doubt, you may find the Brystons a bit harsh on this system. Stephane is right re getting them off the floor.

Ken

Woody Banks
06-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Ok - I'll buy them (I'm kidding - I know they are not for sale).

Would love to hear your impressions once you have them all dialed-in.

Once they are dailed-in : they will be FOR SALE. I had to remove my surround sound system to make room for these beasts and it has gone down hill from there. The room is 14'x18' and full of furniture. A set of towers would of been a better fit.
I was planning on the pedestal idea but because of the weight it takes more than two people to safely do this. Maybe I will have a pedestal party.

Ken Pachkowsky
06-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Once they are dailed-in : they will be FOR SALE. I had to remove my surround sound system to make room for these beasts and it has gone down hill from there. The room is 14'x18' and full of furniture. A set of towers would of been a better fit.
I was planning on the pedestal idea but because of the weight it takes more than two people to safely do this. Maybe I will have a pedestal party.

Yep, my HR1's were over 420 lbs each......I know that feeling.

Good Luck

spkrman57
06-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Those speakers look quite beautiful!

Regards, Ron

Altec Best
07-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Asking price for those beauties will be what ??

Stunning !!! ;)

rusty jefferson
07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1284587112&/JBL-4355-Custom-Variants

bigyank
08-14-2010, 12:35 PM
ME 120HS

Woody can you detail this driver for me? I am not familiar with it. Still awe inspiring speakers. :D

Yank

Woody Banks
08-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Howdy Yank

The ME120 HS was previously called to duty in the S2600. It was paired with the 2426H and large asymetrical horn for a very beautiful two-way system. The woofer is quite impressive as you can see from the photo. I had a pair of 2202H's I was planning on using but they were a lot like me, OLD AND TIRED. The ME120 modeled better in a small sub-enclosure than the 2202H which helped me regain the volume I lost to the large Smith horns.
I liked them so well that I snagged a second pair for a future project. :D

Woody

Woody Banks
08-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Well so much for pricing these for a quick sale. I shouldn't be too surprised with this current economy that they didn't get snapped up. With this high rate of unemployment and bank foreclosures there are worse things than being stuck with a pair of monster monitors.
I did receive one very tempting trade offer, however it would not have slowed my financil nose dive.
I may advertise the variants again with the shipping included or sell off the DIY inventory pile.

Ken Pachkowsky
08-24-2010, 08:54 AM
It's a shame you did not get them sold Woody. In a better economy I am sure a deal would be struck. You could try gearslutz.com. I could not get 7k for my HR1's here on the forum...but ended up getting 18k on the above. They now live happily above a Rupert Neve 5088 desk in Portland.

4313B
08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
This economy sucks!
Yeah, but it's only sucking for 98% of us. The folks that caused it are doing just fine. :rotfl:

(1% is stupendously rich beyond all comprehension and 1% is in prison)

Woody Banks
08-26-2010, 08:31 AM
It's a shame you did not get them sold Woody. In a better economy I am sure a deal would be struck. You could try gearslutz.com. I could not get 7k for my HR1's here on the forum...but ended up getting 18k on the above. They now live happily above a Rupert Neve 5088 desk in Portland.

Thanks for the tip Ken, a very interesting site indeed.

louped garouv
08-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the tip Ken, a very interesting site indeed.

TONs of working PROs hang out there, from my understanding...

Volpone
11-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Too bad they take up so much room and are heavier than a dead hippy.

Very nicehttp://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon6.png And even one for each ear !!
I feel like beeing in the 80ies again... http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon6.pnghttp://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon6.png