PDA

View Full Version : Help with EV speaker problems?

The Dude
06-01-2010, 05:04 AM
I have a pair of EV-1502er speakers and ive noticed a problem with them. For a while i noticed a lack of deep bass from the right speaker, so i got a couple of amps to try, but to no avail. Same problem. So i ran new cables in, making sure everything is in phase, remembering these units get hooked up +ive connection = inward cone movement(horn loaded?). Still the same. so i bypassed the LF crossover on that speaker, after reading about failing crossovers. It may have made a little difference, but not much. These speakers dont sound distorted in any way,so im starting to think there may be some kind of problem with the driver. Anybody got any ideas? Failing a fix, possibly suggestions of replacement drivers that would match this cabinet?

Any help would be appreciated.
since the pic was taken, i've moved them into a corner of the room each, in case their position was causing problems. No difference.

JBL 4645
06-02-2010, 06:06 AM
Place each one in the same location and test it with sine wave tone don’t, use music/film (use a steady sine wave tone to evaluate the situation).

If the left is nearer to side wall its bass will be slightly tighter. If the right is near to the middle of the room which I’m assuming the bass might well be less in some parts of the frequency response.

You might need an SPL db metre so buy an SPL db meter they don't cost much.

Well since you moved them, “into the corners” there room might be odd shaped.

Also try swapping the leads around on the amp also loudspeaker cable check for any possible damage, you might have rat in the house :D eating on the cable that has a short?

boputnam
06-02-2010, 10:39 PM
...i've moved them into a corner of the room each, in case their position was causing problems. No difference.I suggest you check the DCR of each motor, and compare. It may be you are in need of a recone for the misbehaving transducer. DCR will not show all - if you have the means for a sine-wave sweep (at good gain) it might prove more informative.

...remembering these units get hooked up +ive connection = inward cone movement... I am not sure that is correct - not that this question is relevant here, but I cannot find support for that in the lit (http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/SH-1502ER%20EDS.pdf), but admit to not having my head inside of one of these cabinets for many years. You can test for this on the surviving cabinet (hoping here that it has not been modded before your ownership), and put a AA battery across the terminals [ (+) to Red ] and watch the cone movement.