PDA

View Full Version : JBL 100 grille cloth replacement question

spkrdr
05-18-2010, 02:31 PM
I want to install a new pair of Sculpted-Foam-Innovations Quadrex foam on my L100 frames. However, there currently is a brown fabric factory installed on it. Should I remove the brown fabric? if so, how? If not, how do I install the foam onto the frabric covered grille frame?
HELP!!!

brutal
05-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Try another vendor and maybe they'll help you out.

http://www.foamtrends.com/

hjames
05-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Try another vendor and maybe they'll help you out.

http://www.foamtrends.com/

Yep, Bart and company are members here and do GREAT work -
I just got a 3-set of L-200 grill foams from them in Black.
Very nice work, and a perfect fit - no space around the edges.
I got a pair of L-100 grills from them last year.

spkrdr
05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
I've got the new Quadrex foams and the original grilles. I'm a DIY'r so I need help deciding what to do with the current fabric covered grille.

AGAIN, my questions are:
1) Should I remove the brown frabric now on the grille frame? If so, How is this done?
2) How do I attach the Quadrex foam grilles to the speaker? To the frame? Just apply over the existing fabric? or, set aside the original frames and somehow apply the Quadrex to the front of the baffle board?

hjames
05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
I've got the new Quadrex foams and the original grilles. I'm a DIY'r so I need help deciding what to do with the current fabric covered grille.

AGAIN, my questions are:
1) Should I remove the brown frabric now on the grille frame? If so, How is this done?
2) How do I attach the Quadrex foam grilles to the speaker? To the frame? Just apply over the existing fabric? or, set aside the original frames and somehow apply the Quadrex to the front of the baffle board?

My L-100s had no cloth, so I don't know how its attached, or how you remove it.

The quadrex foam is generally attached with Velcro - you glue the hook material to the screen/frame, and glue the wooly side to the back of the foams. Obviously, you don't put velcro where it would be in front of mids or tweeters. That way, you can remove or change the foams if you ever want to.

Or - you can just get a tube of Clear silicon bathtub calk, and run a good bunch
around the non-driver area of the screen, stick the foam to it, and let it dry in place overnight. That way its permanent.
Look at the picture of my old L-100s - you can see where JBL put the original glue on the frame -
of course, the original foams from 1977 were long gone when I bought them in 2008.

spkrdr
05-19-2010, 04:39 AM
Thanks hjames for sticking with me on this. I've attached two photos of what I am dealing with regarding the stock grille. It appears to be constructed of two pieces of wood. The back piece looks like the one in your pic with the same shape cut out of it and also having the holes for the grille buttons.
The second piece is thinner and it is what is holding the brown fabric and is much narrower. Is it glued or tightly fitted to the back piece?
Surely, some JBL fans must have encountered this situation before. HELP!!

My L-100s had no cloth, so I don't know how its attached, or how you remove it.

The quadrex foam is generally attached with Velcro - you glue the hook material to the screen/frame, and glue the wooly side to the back of the foams. Obviously, you don't put velcro where it would be in front of mids or tweeters. That way, you can remove or change the foams if you ever want to.

Or - you can just get a tube of Clear silicon bathtub calk, and run a good bunch
around the non-driver area of the screen, stick the foam to it, and let it dry in place overnight. That way its permanent.
Look at the picture of my old L-100s - you can see where the original glue was on the frame - original foams were long gone when I bought them.

hjames
05-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Thanks hjames for sticking with me on this. I've attached two photos of what I am dealing with regarding the stock grille. It appears to be constructed of two pieces of wood. The back piece looks like the one in your pic with the same shape cut out of it and also having the holes for the grille buttons.
The second piece is thinner and it is what is holding the brown fabric and is much narrower. Is it glued or tightly fitted to the back piece?

I don't own my L-100s any more so all I have is the pictures from 2 years ago ...

Yours look to be the usual decorative wooden frame, I'd assume with the screen on the back like mine were, and it has holes that slide over some "pins" or "dowels" mounted on the speaker face.

It looks like the fabric is glued to a piece of foam that's attached to that wooden frame -
or is there a thin rectangle frame with the cloth attached pushed into the center of the "outer" frame.

What happens if you try to lift the fabric - does that structure come loose from the decorative frame?

LRBacon
05-19-2010, 02:34 PM

The cloth section should come apart from walnut frame. Are there any screws installed on the back side? I have a pair of inserts that were given to me when I got the custom made frames for my L110s from Roger ( half of Foam Trends). The L110 and L100 frames' overall dimensions are exactly the same size, so the inserts fit right in. I think they were just velcroed together. If they don't come apart easily they may be glued together. Hopefully they aren't.

In that picture that Heather posted of the L100s she had with out the foam inserts installed shows the black cloth that is attached to the walnut grille frame. I used small numerous dabs of clear silicone rubber sealant to attach the foam inserts to the black cloth in the grilles outside of the areas that are open for the speakers except for one in the middle of the woofer.

Larry

LRBacon
05-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Here's a shot of the insert from the back side, out of the frame. I think the velcro was not OEM.

Larry