PDA

View Full Version : New harmanpro magazine?

johnaec
07-28-2004, 07:49 AM
One of the managers here at work, (we're not sound related at all), just got a premiere issue of harmanpro magazine, (no caps.). He has no idea what it's about or why he got it. It's pretty cool, with lots of articles on all the Harman pro stuff. No subscription info at all in the mag, but it's got a $6.95 price on it. I couldn't find any info at all about it on the web, other than a cover image at the publisher's website: http://www.cmpi-us.com/custompublishing.shtml

'Anyone know how to get a subscription to this - the first issue's pretty cool.

John

johnaec
07-28-2004, 10:53 AM
OK - here's the reply I got from Harman - 'looks like it's only a once-a-year deal:

Dear John:

Thank you for your interest in the Harman Pro Magazine - Premiere Issue. We will be producing this on an annual basis and the next issue will be out in January 2005. So pleased that you have enjoyed our first effort and we will be happy for you to see the next one. Would you like to tell me how you received this current issue? Then I can make sure that that channel is open to you for the next one.

With regards,
Magazine Assistant Editor

Zilch
07-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Perhaps our Moderator can get free member subscriptions for us. :yes:

Looks like a marketing publication for Pro dealers' display racks....

boputnam
07-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by johnaec
...Would you like to tell me how you received this current issue? Then I can make sure that that channel is open to you for the next one. :no:

Ominously worded, and no comment on where you might acquire a current copy. Odd... :slink:

Don McRitchie
07-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Zilch
Perhaps our Moderator can get free member subscriptions for us. :yes:

I doubt if I can get free member subscriptions, but I am going to work on getting a single copy of the only issue to date :)

BTW, regarding Harman in the press, the current Robb Report Home Entertainment issue has an article on the JBL Hercules Synthesis system based on the K2-9800. Mainly fluff, but good to see this system getting some press.

johnaec
07-28-2004, 12:20 PM
...with lots of articles on all the Harman pro stuff.'Just wanted to clarify a bit - it doesn't have info on ALL the Harman Pro stuff, but does have a number of different articles on JBL installs, an article on the LSR series, another on the DBX Driverack series, (I've got a DR260 and a JBL DSC260A), and articles on other misc. pro stuff. 'Still cool.

I did email Jan back telling how it just sorta showed up here - 'haven't heard anything back...

John

boputnam
07-28-2004, 12:35 PM
...I've got a DR260 and a JBL DSC260A :hmm:

Hey, John...

How do you like them, and how are you using them...?

johnaec
07-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
Hey, John...

How do you like them, and how are you using them...? Well, I got the DSC260A on a whim on eBay in the hopes I could use it to replace about 5 different rack units I use for bass guitar. But the DSC260A really takes some getting used to, since it's so menu driven, and really isn't practical for my initial intended use. I still plan on implementing it at sometime in a home "test" system I'm putting together. If you think it's something you'd like to experiment with, let me know, since it's just sitting in the box right now. Full info is at the jblpro website.

I really like the DBX Driverack 260! In one rack space I've got 31 band GEQ, full PEQ, compressor, limiter, subharmonic synth, and crossovers. The only way I can get all of those at once is by daisy-chaining the inputs - maybe not kosher, but hey - whatever works. :D It's also got a great menu display - much more informative than the JBL. I can even drive it with a laptop if I want. I haven't actually tried it for its published "PA" usage, but it has virtually all the same built-in speaker/amp settings, (mainly JBL/Crown), the DSC260A has, (in addition to all the custom settings you may want to configure).

I haven't done any A/B comparisons, but I wouldn't be surprised if both units are sonically quite similar. (Same parent company, same "260" in the name... :hmm: ) But "260" may just be generic for 2 channels, 6 outputs...

John