PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a pair of ALTEC FLAMENCOs - ideas?

kwingylee
05-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Gents:

I am trying to restore a pair of Flamencos that I recently picked up. The cabinets are a bit rough and one of the LPADs are shot. The wrought-iron grills are long gone but the grill cloth is still orginal.

The ALTEC badges are missing.

I have the cabinets stripped down and they look decent. I fixed a number of bubbly spots with an iron and sanded off burns marks. I am ready for staining.

What color should I stain them in? I bought golden oak stains (the veneer is oak). I want a lighter finish. What finish do they come in originally? Would I be better off with tung oil?

WHat do the original pairs look like? Any members of this site care to part with a pair of old Flamenco badges to a good cause?

As for the grills, I don't think I can deal with the wrought iron look. There is a guy on ebay selling a pair for for $200 (too much for me). The same guy is selling badges for $40. This is more than I paid for the speakers. What are my other choices?

All Ideas are welcome. I am looking for ideas on the 16 ohm Lpad replacement. JBL no longer makes the 51594.
kwing