PDA

View Full Version : Were do i start with the pool guys L250's

prellinger
05-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I bought them.
the guy was in the pool business and he had them in his warehouse. i took them home and cleaned them up.
i've been looking for L112A's and i came across the l250's. after 3 months of harassing him, he finally sold them to me.
now i'm hoping you guys can help me with rebuilding them. all i did so for it to fix the surrounds on the woofers just to run them to see if they work. latter i would like to re-cone them. i would like to start with lightly sanding them and maybe a stain and clear coat? i would like to replace the insulation. and because he was a pool guy chorine was near the speakers and i need to clean the crossover back post and circuit board
pete

rdgrimes
05-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Please don't use any stain or "clear coat" on them. Tung or Danish oil has urethane and will give them some satin sheen. The veneer will lighten up if you sand it and has plenty of natural rich color.

prellinger
05-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Please don't use any stain or "clear coat" on them. Tung or Danish oil has urethane and will give them some satin sheen. The veneer will lighten up if you sand it and has plenty of natural rich color.

the previous owner used one coat of old english oil on them. should i hit it with 400 sand paper and steel wool then the danish oil?

rdgrimes
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
the previous owner used one coat of old english oil on them. should i hit it with 400 sand paper and steel wool then the danish oil?
Really, suit yourself. Most of the folks around here like the finish obtained from using 0000 steel wool for polishing and applying oils. What sandpaper grit you use depends on the depth of scratches and the finish you're needing to remove. If there's a lot of wax on them, starting with 320 might be good or even coarser than that. If your sandpaper is clogging quickly with goo, then you have some wax to remove.

There are other cleaners and products for removing old goop.

SEAWOLF97
05-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I did my 250ti's with a product that was a citrus cleaner with beeswax , applied it with 0000 SW,,,,,that got an amazing amount of crud out of the pores and they lightened up a notch or two...the beeswax added a glow that prolly makes them appear even lighter.