PDA

View Full Version : 2214 replacement

pathfindermwd
05-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I have a pair of L100T's using the 2214 woofer. I think one of the woofers is going to go soon because it rattles a little every now and then. What would you all recommend for a replacement?

I have owned a pair of CF100's which were the most incredible little scrappers, I wish I could find some CF120's to steal woofer's out of, they have the cast woofers as well.

On ebay is a M112-8 that is pretty inexpensive, and wonder if this speaker would work well :http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-M112-8-12-Replacement-woofer-JRX-112M-JRX112Mi-/250615530584?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a59d98458

hjames
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Whatever you do, get a PAIR of woofers and change them both at the same time, so you have a matched pair of speakers after your changes.

I have a pair of L100T's using the 2214 woofer. I think one of the woofers is going to go soon because it rattles a little every now and then. What would you all recommend for a replacement?

I have owned a pair of CF100's which were the most incredible little scrappers, I wish I could find some CF120's to steal woofer's out of, they have the cast woofers as well.

On ebay is a M112-8 that is pretty inexpensive, and wonder if this speaker would work well :http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-M112-8-12-Replacement-woofer-JRX-112M-JRX112Mi-/250615530584?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a59d98458

HCSGuy
05-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Stick with what works - what was broke in the L100T wasn't the woofer. 2214's sell all the time (a nice refoamed one sold last week for $25!) on Ebay. I don't see anyway you can improve things with a new woofer unless you're willing to re-engineer the crossover too. If you've got extra money to play with, change to something with more potential - get some L-250's, brush up on your soldering and build them into 250Ti's with CC'd networks. Just my opinion...

pathfindermwd
05-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Stick with what works - what was broke in the L100T wasn't the woofer. 2214's sell all the time (a nice refoamed one sold last week for $25!) on Ebay. I don't see anyway you can improve things with a new woofer unless you're willing to re-engineer the crossover too. If you've got extra money to play with, change to something with more potential - get some L-250's, brush up on your soldering and build them into 250Ti's with CC'd networks. Just my opinion...

I would love to get a pair of 250Ti's, 2 friends have them and they sound fantastic! I have been watching craigslist for a pair close to me, so one of these days. I outfitted my T's with the T3 crossover and while they are warmer, they also seem to be less lively. I am not sure what you see as broken, to me the woofers are the weak link, I try not to abuse them, but they seem to start popping just when I get them wound up just right. My JBL CF 100's never popped and they took so much abuse, and were louder by far (94 db), but the CF's get no respect around here. Even if I get another model JBL woofer you think it will greatly affect sound enough to need crossover work?

DavidF
05-04-2010, 03:01 PM
I think I would invoke the forum standard response and look at having BOTH woofers reconed. Since this is the best way to end up with a system falling in original spec it is the de facto response. It is too much to expect a drop in solution for a replacement driver, JBL or otherwise, that will fit the original design parameters.

The downside to the above is the $350-400/pair cost. If these JBL systems are meant to remain in pride of place then it is easier to justify the cost. The alternative is to find a pulled unit on eBay or similar. They seem to be hot items lately and going for around $100 plus shipping lately. Still better than $400. The risk is you are buying a driver that may not be in any better condition than what you have. You may find some with new outer surrounds but the spider is original and worn out.

One thing to check on before you go too far is to pull the driver and look at the cone where it connects to the voice coil former. Look to see if it has separated or is loose in any areas. That may be the source of the rattle. If so it may be possible to repair.

pathfindermwd
05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I think I would invoke the forum standard response and look at having BOTH woofers reconed. Since this is the best way to end up with a system falling in original spec it is the de facto response. It is too much to expect a drop in solution for a replacement driver, JBL or otherwise, that will fit the original design parameters.

The downside to the above is the $350-400/pair cost. If these JBL systems are meant to remain in pride of place then it is easier to justify the cost. The alternative is to find a pulled unit on eBay or similar. They seem to be hot items lately and going for around $100 plus shipping lately. Still better than $400. The risk is you are buying a driver that may not be in any better condition than what you have. You may find some with new outer surrounds but the spider is original and worn out.

One thing to check on before you go too far is to pull the driver and look at the cone where it connects to the voice coil former. Look to see if it has separated or is loose in any areas. That may be the source of the rattle. If so it may be possible to repair.

Thank you very much David. I want to have pride, but that it's pretty hard to spend that kind of money when that's about what I paid for the pair in the first place, and their current going value. I honestly worry about how much longer before I end up replacing all of the drivers? Seriously though, the woofer is the main componet to go, and I really would like to find a newer decent alternative for less than $200.