PDA

View Full Version : 2235 refoam job

ratitifb
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
hi folks,

what do you think about this 2235 refoam job from which we can see a V cutting on the foam edge near each screw hole : is there any risk in term of acoustical leak or in term of foam breakage along time (reliability) ? Thanks for advice :)

ratitifb
05-04-2010, 12:04 AM
:o:

ratitifb
05-05-2010, 12:20 AM
no idea :o::hmm: may be i'm wrong but i'm thinking there are some acoustical leakage comparing the foam surround cutting area and the frame shape ...

grumpy
05-05-2010, 07:35 AM
does at least seem like there is potential for both air leakage and unnecessary
intrusions into the integrity of the surround. The air leakage issue should be easily
testable... perhaps with a flashlight/torch (the electrical kind).

badman
05-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Or one could simply patch it with some aleene's tacky glue. Works real trick for this type of situation. I know we're all JBL perfectionists but sometimes a little dab of glue is just the ticket.

And yes, air leakage is entirely possible at that location, I'd assume there is some. I have typically just glue the whole foam in place and cut through the screw holes after the glue has set.

ratitifb
05-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Thx to all :)

The air leakage issue should be easily
testable... perhaps with a flashlight/torch (the electrical kind).ok ok ... but ... woofers are still on the opposite side of the magma from France :crying:

boputnam
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
:hmm: may be i'm wrong but i'm thinking there are some acoustical leakage comparing the foam surround cutting area and the frame shape ...Yeah, that's bad. Whomever did he work nicked them purposefully for the mounting screws. This will not be airtight - it may even tear with use.

ok ok ... but ... woofers are still on the opposite side of the magma from France :crying:So, did you buy them over here on the other side of the volcano? You should get some sort of discount and you will have to re-do the work, yourself. Not so hard...

ratitifb
05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Thx :)

Yeah, that's bad. Whomever did he work nicked them purposefully for the mounting screws. This will not be airtight - it may even tear with use. :banghead:

So, did you buy them ...not yet ... but :dont-know:

boputnam
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, then don't agree to buy them at full price - they need a(nother) surround job. Not hard to do on that basket, at-all - I've done many. :p Rick Cobb can sort you out in a hurry...

ratitifb
05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, then don't agree to buy them at full price - they need a(nother) surround job. Not hard to do on that basket, at-all - I've done many. :p Rick Cobb can sort you out in a hurry...thanks for advice ;)

i'm dealing with my seller :duel: