PDA

View Full Version : JBL L100 Connection problems!!!!

gmcinnes
04-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Hello everyone..... I think I can safely say that this little problem of hooking up speakers after restoration has been hit upon so many times so I am sorry for bringing it up again!
I recently restored a pair of L100's even replaced foam cube grills with 'NEW' Blue one's and they look fantastic however I think that I have done something wrong in hooking up the bass driver, the mid and tweeter are o.k. as they can only be hooked up the correct way with there connections. I say this as I think the sound from them now sounds thinner (for want of a better description).
I am hoping someone can shed a little light on this for me.

Kindest Regards
Garry
:blink

Sully
04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Sounds like they may be out of phase; + /- hooked up incorrectly..

Tims L100
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
The woofers are connected to the rear of the input posts and dont go through the cross overs. The polarity is red to + black to - on the woofers.
Tim

boputnam
05-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I recently restored a pair of L100's... Let's review the use of the word: "restored".

What all did you do? If the networks are intact, as is the cabinet internal wiring, merely re-connecting GRN wire to the Red, and BLK wire to the Black, binding posts of the woofer would restore you to factory perfect condition.

Now, tell us what other works you did? :hmm:

gmcinnes
05-17-2010, 05:16 AM
Hello Bo

Sorry for late (very late) reply and thank you for your reply and yes you dead right I had hooked up one the wrong way, lack of concentration!!!!
I was very lucky when I bought these out of the states through ebay, in actual fact I started of with just the woofers but during this transaction and communication I became aware the seller was breaking them up (selling components off seperately) so I asked if I could buy the lot and he agreed which was great.
I was also fortunate that the seller was very very helpful in posting these to me, components were sent seperately (these were in exceptional shape) and then cabs which would have suffered had it not been for the way the seller had packed them! Basically all I had to do when I got them was t do a bit of french polishing, buy the new foamtrends grille (Blue and fantastic repo!) and put them all together. I did want to re-do the crossover but these had not been out of the cabinets so left them there, maybe one day? I think these L100 sound great....:bouncy: as I have got older (53) my hearing has gone a little and these fill the gaps, you could say I am happy with them so much so that I have since got a pair of Sovereign SR8 (custom enclosure), L26's and am now starting on a pair of JUBAL 65's, there is something about that JBL sound!

Cheers
Garry