PDA

View Full Version : ALTEC 802: aluminum vs pascalite diaphragm??

david45
04-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I have a pair of 802-8g drivers and I might be tempted to switch the aluminum diaphragms to pascalite ones when I send them to GPA to have the magnets recharged. Although I am planning on using them a bit for PA which explains why I need a bit more power handling, i will also use them in a home environment. Can anyone comment on the difference in terms of sonic attributes? Are they going to sound as good? same extension? Are they worth it?

thanks

CONVERGENCE
04-25-2010, 04:38 PM
I have a pair of 802-8g drivers and I might be tempted to switch the aluminum diaphragms to pascalite ones when I send them to GPA to have the magnets recharged. Although I am planning on using them a bit for PA which explains why I need a bit more power handling, i will also use them in a home environment. Can anyone comment on the difference in terms of sonic attributes? Are they going to sound as good? same extension? Are they worth it?

thanks

You'l find your answer on Altec Hostboard forum.

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/altec-users-board/42750-908-8b-symbiotik-vs-pascalite.html

spkrman57
04-26-2010, 07:37 AM
I use the Pascalite aluminum diaphrams for replacement in my 1" and 1 - 3/8" compression drivers.

They sound great in the home hi-fi environment.

Ron

Earl K
04-26-2010, 09:34 AM
- IME, any small format driver, made by whomever ( & having a 1" exit with a 1.75" diaphragm ) is just too small for live SR work ( excluding folk acts ) .
- It'll all end in tears , sooner than later .:(:o:

- Go to a 3" diaphragmed driver with a 1.4" or even 2" exit / or better yet / get a 4" diaphragmed driver like a JBL 2482,2441,2445,6,7,2450,2451 ( with your 802-8G acting as a tweeter on a small horn ) .

<> cheers :)

ps; Using pascalite or symbiotic diaphragms doesn't change this very basic equation from my perspective .

Altec Best
05-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Pascalite is an Aluminum diaghram it is just proprietary name.But aluminum and pascalite are both aluminum diaghrams.

One word of advice if you plan on keeping the old diaghrams take them out before sending them to GPA. Or they could be damaged as you are sending for diaghram replacement no care will be given to the old frams especially if you have an 23744 fram.;)