PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a 3-way with LE10H as the bottom (modern L96?)

Aaron
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Hello folks,
I now have a NOS pair of LE10H drivers to play with and would like to make a system using equally worthy mids and tweeters (or just super-awesome tweeters).

I don't know much about the distortion levels of JBL drivers or even what can be had for home audio. I'm looking for help picking out drivers, measuring them and finally designing the crossovers.

A few years ago I spied this site: www.zaphaudio.com and have since decided I'm not actually qualified to design a damn thing. And so I'm here imposing on your good will to help a scientifically challenged fellow out.

:blah:... Am I making sense so far?

grumpy
04-22-2010, 01:18 PM
a working recipe? 4313B or L96 using DC-biased capacitors in the network is
probably the straightest line to success/modernization. Otherwise, you're entering
design territory.

driver info:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10663-LE10H-LE10H-1-LE111H

Aaron
04-22-2010, 03:05 PM
DC biased caps? I've not heard that term before, do you mean polarized?

A friend of mine has a SoundEasy measurement system in his basement and a fair bit of experience using it so when I get good drivers, design won't be that big of a problem...I just don't want to acquire and measure one of every driver in JBLs extensive history to find the most suitable units for my rig. Does any one play with measurement software here?

Thanks for the driver info link.

grumpy
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
DC biased caps? I've not heard that term before, do you mean polarized?
Does any one play with measurement software here?

I meant what some call "charge-coupled". A search here will give you lots to read.
(descriptions, opinions, capacitors and resistors to use, modified schematics, ...)

... and yes, the CLIO hardware/software package seems to be particularly popular
with several members here, with a number of other packages represented... the
LinearX product line is regularly used and demonstrated here as well.

Obtaining new/current JBL drivers might be a trick at this point.

jcrobso
04-22-2010, 04:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-JBL-L100-midranges-LE-5-2-NICE-L-K-/130385138048?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1e5b8f5180

grumpy
04-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Something along the lines of an "L80Ti" might work with more recent components
if it's ok to get your hands dirty ... add 104H-x and maybe an 053Ti with a custom
OS waveguide extension ... those parts seem to pop up regularly and aren't $$$$ yet.
Not quite an LSR32, but -maybe- better than an L96 (potentially). I happen to like
the LE10H driver in normal-sized rooms better than most 12"-ers.

I'm not designing a x-over, so feel free to consider this as so much blown smoke :D

Aaron
04-22-2010, 07:43 PM
That's about what I had in mind as I have those mids.
What about a 052ti tweeter?

grumpy
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
What about it? If you have an idea and parts already, go with that :)

grumpy
04-24-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?43-Charge-Coupled-Networks

(Thanks Rob)