PDA

View Full Version : No I don’t like the “new” site layout!

JBL 4645
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
What is this, huh?

I don’t mean to be unpredictable but this just looks, naff.:barf:

I think I speak for many LFforum members here. Where are the JBL and Lansing logos at the top of the page?

So this is what “site maintenance” means a blinding page that almost blinded me when I refreshed the page.

I hope this, a test to see whether most of us like it.

This has taken me a few extra minutes to suss this out.:banghead:

A reminder of what the original site looked like before this!

JBL 4645
04-21-2010, 11:49 PM
What game are you playing here “Ping-Pong ball”?

First you put new Lansing logo up on the main page, that looked like, Walt Disney drew it.:blink:

Now its back to the original site logo, is that just in case it, confuses the other members that are presently asleep?

JBL 4645
04-22-2010, 12:08 AM
The photo gallery doesn’t appear to be working well. Also the text is barely readable.

JBL 4645
04-22-2010, 04:34 AM
What’s up with the site? Now I click back and I see the old original page.

I like the red like colour background any chance the site can have the old colour back, please. Or how about JBL orange, you like fruit.:p

Krunchy
04-22-2010, 05:08 AM
I guess its just getting familiar with a new layout that is kind of disorienting, not nescessarily a bad thing, we're just so used to our old format, its hard to change as we get older :D Just gotta get used to it is all, though to reply to a thread it seems like one has to scroll all the way back to the top of the page?
One thing though, where is the "MARKETPLACE" section, I cant seem to find it?
there are no borders around one's post so it kinda reads like one page as opposed to individual posts.

Will need some tweaking and us getting comfortable with the new layout.

Lets see how it goes ;)

(EDIT) Just found the marketplace section, it wasnt showing up before, well, thats that!

clmrt
04-22-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm not a fan of Doctor Office Blue....off to the control panel to start fucking with the knobs...

rdgrimes
04-22-2010, 06:16 AM
This is easily the worst implementation of VBulletin I've ever seen.

FUGLY!!!!

lowpoke
04-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Long overdue is all I can say, the old design was a travesty. This is a vast improvement. Obviously it's going to take a while for some to get used to it, but that's to be expected.

Have to agree with Krunchy though, the marketplace sections are buried away where nobody can find them!

Don McRitchie
04-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Consider the forum in transition. An upgrade was required due to security issues caused by the previous version being no longer supported. My immediate focus was to get the forum functional and stable on the new version - which appears to be the case. As you can see, the new version has a completely new interface for which the previous custom color settings were incompatible. Therefore, other than the logo, all color choices were reset to the default settings.

I'll be spending the next few days playing around with the new customization options to try and restore it to a closer facsimile of the old forum. However, it will still be substantially different from the old version due tio the new feature set. As I stated in the forum announcement (at the top of every forum page), the Photo Gallery needs to be updated to the same version, so that for now it is largely broken. This too will be fixed over the coming days.

Krunchy
04-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Long overdue is all I can say, the old design was a travesty. This is a vast improvement. Obviously it's going to take a while for some to get used to it, but that's to be expected.

Have to agree with Krunchy though, the marketplace sections are buried away where nobody can find them!

Hi lowpoke & welcome to the forum.
I found it by accident when I clicked on the "Forum" tag at the top of the page & it materialized.

We'll get by :D Thanks Don & Bo & all you guys (& gals) who make this forum possible :)

JeffW
04-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Oh for Pete's sake, give it a little time guys. Bulletin board updates are a fact of life and always cause a commotion for a bit. In a little while you won't even remember what the old version looked like except maybe the color.

Thanks for keeping the site up to date, Don. And I also noticed you've even been doing a little posting lately, good to see you around.

grumpy
04-22-2010, 06:54 AM
Oh for Pete's sake, give it a little time guys.

+1

Thanks for keeping the site up to date, Don.

+1

cosmos
04-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Oh for Pete's sake, give it a little time guys.

Agree completely. Take a breather.

Maron Horonzakz
04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
The colors are a bit WUSSY namby pamby limp wristed...Dont like it.

louped garouv
04-22-2010, 08:32 AM
as always, thanks for the most excellent JBL forums on the interwebz!

:applaud:

hjames
04-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Just dropped in to say thanks for all the hard work you're putting in behind the scenes sorting this all out - looks nice fresh out of the box, but I'm sure you'll get the tweaks in like you had before - take care, and - we'll be patient as you sort it all out!

and WOW - the new Posting interface look awesome!

Dingusboy
04-22-2010, 08:55 AM
That's it - I'm leaving. :D

shaansloan
04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Don,

Thanks so much for all your hard work on the site....much appreciated....also, thanks to the rest of the moderators and others who help and give....

Question, I know you dont require any dues of us, but is there a regular amount of giving to the forum you would recomend for us, for upkeep and so on?

Shaan

demon
04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
thanks for keeping the forum updated. thanks for the time spent (all involved).

:)

best-
mikey

SMKSoundPro
04-22-2010, 11:48 AM
WOW! Thank you Don for all of the great work in keeping us all together, and please don't let the other comments deter your progress.

Just my $.02.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Scotty.

brad347
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
I think it is great to see the forum interface modernized a bit. The old site was adequate but did look a bit dated, and its functionality was limited compared to more up-to-date fora, as well. I can already tell that when some of the kinks are worked out, it will be way better. But even if I hated it, none of us has to pay for this site nor are entitled to it even existing at all, so I'll always just take what I can get. :D

With any change, there are going to be people resistant to it. It's a fact of life, many people are resistant to change and will see anything new as "worse."

I'm sure the bugs will get worked out. I, too, have a bit of a problem getting the marketplace section to consistently show up as it is, but I'm sure that will get ironed out.

Thanks again.

PS, I wonder what the forum would look like in a cool shade of JBL red-orange? :o:

JBL 4645
04-22-2010, 01:46 PM
I'll be spending the next few days playing around with the new customization options to try and restore it to a closer facsimile of the old forum. However, it will still be substantially different from the old version due tio the new feature set. As I stated in the forum announcement (at the top of every forum page), the Photo Gallery needs to be updated to the same version, so that for now it is largely broken. This too will be fixed over the coming days.

Don

I hope so blue is an unwelcoming cold colour and red is warmer welcoming colour.

Yes the photo gallery needs some formatting to get it back into shape.:bouncy: some cool pictures in the gallery.

I can understand change at least a heads-up next time.;)

jbl-ahhh
04-22-2010, 01:57 PM
The new layout wouldn't be my first choice, but I gladly yield my choice with a big "thanks" to the folks doing all the work on this site. This forum is so great.

jcrobso
04-22-2010, 02:17 PM
But that can be changed!;)
After using this on & off for a few hours, seams that it has taken me less time to get used to it than the old format did when I was a newbie.:)
I have a feeling that when all the bugs get worked out it will be OK.:)

Wagner
04-22-2010, 03:02 PM
The cover has NOTHING to do with what's in the book.

I'd be happy to be able to read here if it came in a greasy paper bag.

Thomas

sonofagun
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
I am using my crayons to change the color scheme.

:applaud:

scott fitlin
04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Give a little time to adjust things and get it right. IT WILL HAPPEN.

Thanks Don for the new V4 upgrades. :applaud:

hjames
04-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I am using my crayons to change the color scheme. :bouncy:

Not very effectively, I'm afraid ...:applaud:

Titanium Dome
04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm surprised I can post. Every time I come to the site, I have to log in, and three times out of four I get bumped back to non-logged-in status. Eventually, if I muck around a bit, suddenly I see I'm logged in.

I'm hoping performance improves.

brad347
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
T. Dome--

I thought this was happening to me, too. You're actually still logged in the whole time-- it's just some sort of glitch. Click the "forum" link (to the left of "what's new") when you come to the page, and it should snap it back to normal for the rest of that session.

At least it works for me.

boputnam
04-22-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm not a fan of Doctor Office Blue....off to the control panel to start fucking with the knobs...Yeah, I'm liking the new topology, but dearly miss the maroon of the past! :( Never woulda thought that. Color scheme does not appear to be an option...

Don, great effort(s), and nice to see you here.

grumpy - way cool avatar. Never took you for a rockstar...

sonofagun
04-23-2010, 04:47 AM
"Color scheme does not appear to be an option..."

CRAYONS! CRAYONS! CRAYONS!

But it seems to be making a mess of my monitor screen for some reason. :blink:

JBL 4645
04-23-2010, 06:25 AM
"Color scheme does not appear to be an option..."

CRAYONS! CRAYONS! CRAYONS!

But it seems to be making a mess of my monitor screen for some reason. :blink:

Are you using a CRT screen or LCD? Might be wise to refresh you don’t want the colour to burn in on the monitor screen with slight transparency of the Lansing site slightly visible on the monitor when browsing elsewhere.;)

sonofagun
04-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Come on! I'm not stupid :p you know.

I'm using crayons directly on my CRT screen but do have some glitches to work out it seems.

:D

Wornears
04-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Well, the critical jackals wasted no time. Give the revision a little time. I appreciate that someone (Don) takes the time and effort to look out for us with the BB upgrade for security and support reasons. No good deed goes unpunished, indeed!

clmrt
04-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I just don't like the color, no big deal.

Donations still work, right? I'm about due to chip in.

;)

opimax
04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
The new layout wouldn't be my first choice, but I gladly yield my choice with a big "thanks" to the folks doing all the work on this site. This forum is so great.

pretty miuch expresses my feelings. I am not good w/"change" period! and my initial reaction does not like this change. However I really appreciative of the site and know enough about computers that change happens, thanks very much for everything including the effort for the current upgrade.

I think there would be much worse change if this site got hacked!! :banghead::banghead:

So again thanks, I am sure like many others who don't initially like the change really do even if they don't know it :applaud::applaud:

Mark

Cosmo
04-23-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm not a fan of Doctor Office Blue....off to the control panel to start fucking with the knobs...

Us old Fuddy Duddies don't like change much Is anyone listening I don't know let me put my ear up against the wall,I mean my forehead :banghead: :(

SEAWOLF97
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
I am not good w/"change" period! and my initial reaction does not like this change. However I really appreciative of the site and know enough about computers that change happens, thanks very much for everything including the effort for the current upgrade.
Mark

At my last job , with a very hi-tech company, employees were always stressed about change. It got so bad that they held a seminar about "coping with change" ..it opened with each participant introducing him/her self, telling about their department and how change affects them....I was about halfway around the table...it was all so serious.

So finally got to me..I stood up and said.... "My name is Tom, I work in IT,don't know why I'm here, as nothing ever changes in my department"

The whole room broke out laughing, went on for a while ....that was enough icebreaker that the rest of the seminar went well..

ANYWAY....we live in a world of constant changes, I have confidence that Don will make the new scheme just as inviting as the old one....there were prolly the same complaints when he installed V3 ( and V2). Give the guy a chance to do his thang..and thank him for the hard work.

toddalin
04-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Don't much care for the new color scheme.

Did the "For Sale" sections go away?

brad347
04-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Click on "forum" at the top left under the Lansing logo to the left of "What's New?"

The for sale sections should return. Seems like a glitch.

boputnam
04-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I've noticed if I close it, it requires I re-log in even tho the "remember me?" box is checked.

Then, when logging in it looks like I am unrecognized (unlogged-in) until I check a thread - any thread - at which point it recognizes me.

Odd.

Titanium Dome
04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
It'll all work out in Boomland.

JuniorJBL
04-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi Bo :wave:
Really like the new avatar. Looks kinda futuristic.:D

Maybe Don was tired of looking at all of the old avatars and wanted us to change them.:D

Thanks for all the hard work Don.;)

Robh3606
04-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Are you kidding?? Who cares what color it is?? What counts is that we have the Forums in the first place. Thanks Don for the update on the software and all the other work you have silently done over the years.

Rob:)

louped garouv
04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'm liking the new topology, but dearly miss the maroon of the past! :( Never woulda thought that. Color scheme does not appear to be an option...

I can ask some denver friends what they did with their forum 'skins'...
(they had it so each user could select b/t three of four forums 'skins' which controlled how the forums looked on screen...

I believe that they are also using the latest release of vbull.
but with some custom patches... i will try to confirm with them within a week or something...

Don McRitchie
04-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I've noticed if I close it, it requires I re-log in even tho the "remember me?" box is checked.

Then, when logging in it looks like I am unrecognized (unlogged-in) until I check a thread - any thread - at which point it recognizes me.

Odd.

There definitely is a bug with the new version that is causing the behavior that Bo reported. It is also responsible for the phenomenon whereby people are reporting they cannot see the "Marketplace" forum when they log in, but can after they open another forum and then go back. A number of forums are reporting this.

For now, there is a work around. Make sure that the bookmark you use to access the site is exactly as below:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/

The bug only occurs when the following link is used to access the site:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/

In other words, you cannot omit the "www" in the domain name or the above problems will occur.

This is definitely a bug and not how it is supposed to work. Hopefully, a patch to permanently fix this is not too far off.

Don McRitchie
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM
I can ask some denver friends what they did with their forum 'skins'...
(they had it so each user could select b/t three of four forums 'skins' which controlled how the forums looked on screen...

I believe that they are also using the latest release of vbull.
but with some custom patches... i will try to confirm with them within a week or something...

There are a number of skins that I can adopt off the shelf. However, I am working on developing one that is unique to this site. I have a test copy of the forum to play around with and will be doing so over the next while. However, it may be as long as a month before I put up the revisions. There is a reason for this timeframe that I cannot comment further on for now. Therefore, I have to ask you to just be patient. I will continue to monitor for bugs and ensure that those are dealt with immediately to the degree possible.

brutal
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
There definitely is a bug with the new version that is causing the behavior that Bo reported. It is also responsible for the phenomenon whereby people are reporting they cannot see the "Marketplace" forum when they log in, but can after they open another forum and then go back. A number of forums are reporting this.

For now, there is a work around. Make sure that the bookmark you use to access the site is exactly as below:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/

The bug only occurs when the following link is used to access the site:

In other words, you cannot omit the "www" in the domain name or the above problems will occur.

This is definitely a bug and not how it is supposed to work. Hopefully, a patch to permanently fix this is not too far off.

I came here to see if this was a current known issue and I just looked at my bookmark and it has always included the full URL you state, yet I must still login or click a thread every time.

Don McRitchie
04-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Try using:

Some on the vbulletin forum have reported the reverse of what I found. In other words, it works for them if "www" is omitted in the link and is broken if "www" added. This seems to indicate that the problem may be related to whatever way the link was stored in the cookie that stored your username and password. However, I and others, have already tried clearing all cookies and this did not resolve the problem.

Earl K
04-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Google Spell Check doesn't work what-so-ever ( using IE8, XP SP3 ) .

Engagement, results in complete annihilation of everything within the editing box .

No biggy for most I suppose . :p

JuniorJBL
04-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Earl
I found this as well but it does work with no problems in Google Chrome. I did not try firefox or mozilla.

I have also found that the smpt relay function of the forum does not send out the whole link to reply to in my emails. It will take you to the first post in the thread not the last.

Richard Long
04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
I´d like the old look much more !!!

Don McRitchie
04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Google Spell Check doesn't work what-so-ever ( using IE8, XP SP3 ) .

Engagement, results in complete annihilation of everything within the editing box .

No biggy for most I suppose . :p

I cannot replicate this with IE8 on with Vista or Windows 7. I currently don't have access to an XP machine. As a work around, you can try downloading the speller from http://www.iespell.com/

Once installed, the spell checker is accessed from the message editing box by clicking the 45361 icon that is at the top right of the editing tool bar.

brutal
04-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Try using:

Some on the vbulletin forum have reported the reverse of what I found. In other words, it works for them if "www" is omitted in the link and is broken if "www" added. This seems to indicate that the problem may be related to whatever way the link was stored in the cookie that stored your username and password. However, I and others, have already tried clearing all cookies and this did not resolve the problem for me.

Today, it appears to be working again.

I did notice the images are black unless I "view image" in Firefox. IE works fine. Maybe it's already been reported, I didn't read back through the entire thread, too many whiners. ;-)

SEAWOLF97
04-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I cannot replicate this with IE8 on with Vista or Windows 7. I currently don't have access to an XP machine. As a work around, you can try downloading the speller from http://www.iespell.com/

Once installed, the spell checker is accessed from the message editing box by clicking the 45361 icon that is at the top right of the editing tool bar.

I'm on an XP SP3 box with Firefox 3.63 and IEspell works fine.

lgvenable
04-24-2010, 11:55 AM
of returning to the old color scheme? these colors actually remind me of ther "silverfox" theme on Firefox.

Earl K
04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
As a work around, you can try downloading the speller from http://www.iespell.com/ (http://www.iespell.com/)

Once installed, the spell checker is accessed from the message editing box by clicking the http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=45361&d=1272128511 icon that is at the top right of the editing tool bar.

Okay, I downloaded and installed "ieSpell" . Thanks for suggesting this solution .

Spell-checking can now be engaged from either my main IE "Tools" menu item / as well as from the more normally used http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=45361&d=1272128511 icon ( located within the Message Editing Window ) .

<> cheers

PS ; I didn't really want to download another ( humongous ) Browser onto this HD just to get spell-checking .

JBL 4645
04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Okay, I downloaded and installed "ieSpell" . Thanks for suggesting this solution .

Spell-checking can now be engaged from either my main IE "Tools" menu item / as well as from the more normally used http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=45361&d=1272128511 icon ( located within the Message Editing Window ) .

<> cheers

PS ; I didn't really want to download another ( humongous ) Browser onto this HD just to get spell-checking .

Why use spell checker! Use Window Microsoft Word page. Type and paste and post, that’s how I, do it. No need to loud a silly program on the pc unless you have word in office.

Also the site is now having loading issues. It has taken nearly 10 minutes!

The page is now starting to really tick me off. The reply post has taken 10 minutes!

Way to go Don. I hope you have the site backed-up.

This is really useless now like a silly Bluray disc that needs silly firmware to make the disc run! What in the blazes have you done to the site Don?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Please can we have the old site back!

hjames
04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Sounds like you have connectivity issues on your own, Ash, the site is no slower here than it was before. But - you've struggled with PC problems a few times , as I recall.
Anyway, the pages here loaded very quickly, and in the space of 5 minutes I went through 6 or 8 updated threads, replied to you, and now I'm ready to run and start dinner.

Good luck to you - but I don't think the problems you see are due to the lansing forum.

JBL 4645
04-24-2010, 02:46 PM
No the site was loading fine days ago and many days bore the change and many past it and many, many more within 3 to 4 seconds.

Now the site is refreshing back to normal pace!

grumpy
04-24-2010, 03:57 PM
FWIW, using Firefox 3.0.6, XpSP3, had to blow cookies (so to speak)
to get login to stick (entering username/passwd -was- just plopping
me in as a guest). Seems to work now. Sorry if this is a repeat report.

JBL 4645
04-24-2010, 05:02 PM
FWIW, using Firefox 3.0.6, XpSP3, had to blow cookies (so to speak)
to get login to stick (entering username/passwd -was- just plopping
me in as a guest). Seems to work now. Sorry if this is a repeat report.

Did you (check) your login as it, will logout after some 10 or 15 minutes automatically if you remain idle on the site.

grumpy
04-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Funny... before I'm idle here 10-15min, I've normally logged out anyway.
This was effectively instantaneous. Thanks though.

JBL 4645
04-25-2010, 12:58 AM
I see.

lgvenable
04-25-2010, 07:42 PM
I dont mind a SilverFox skin on Firefox, but not on the LHF. I'm glad to see the color scheme is back. I got my old cookie deleted and now can login correctly w/o the browser forgetting who I am everytime I show up (whch is plenty on LHF.
Larry

boputnam
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi Bo :wave:
Really like the new avatar. Looks kinda futuristic.:D

Maybe Don was tired of looking at all of the old avatars and wanted us to change them.:D

Thanks for all the hard work Don.;)Hilarious... I figured if Don is working so hard, we should all renew our investment here, and brighten things up. That shot was captured by a friend at the Hard Rock Cafe, Las Vegas. Things were not going well - the houseguys sorta threw-up their hands when they couldn't sort out issues we encountered, and we were T-60 mins from downbeat. So, off we go, and the baggage is all on my cart...

Are you kidding?? Who cares what color it is?? I gotta say, when I logged on tonight from Houston, I smiled. It was like coming back home. I/we know Don is killing it, but there is some bizarre human comfort in finding the GUI colors we have lived with for the past so-many years. I suspect we can work thru the other changes more easily if the macro is familiar...

There definitely is a bug with the new version that is causing the behavior that Bo reported. ... This is definitely a bug and not how it is supposed to work. Hopefully, a patch to permanently fix this is not too far off.We got only patience for these minor issues. Thanks, Don.

I'm glad to see the color scheme is back. Me too. Funny, that.

+1

JBL 4645
04-25-2010, 11:18 PM
bop
The avatar looks like an air-traffic control tower centre.:D Is that radar in the background on those screens?:p

Wow now that is step in the right direction of the original colour.:bouncy:

Well done good show.:applaud:

All that is missing is the JBL link in the middle of the home page link.

I'm going to check if the photo gallery is back up and running.

I dont mind a SilverFox skin on Firefox, but not on the LHF. I'm glad to see the color scheme is back. I got my old cookie deleted and now can login correctly w/o the browser forgetting who I am everytime I show up (whch is plenty on LHF.
Larry

As long as you can remember your password LOL:p

JBL 4645
04-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Well that does it! It’s just a blank blinding white screen now! I guess that is list of things to fix and solve out the technical gremlin issues.

Last time I viewed the gallery was two days ago and it was partly working with images on the main page but the text was so muted or masked by the background colour that it was impossible to read, unless highlighting the page with the mouse in blue so the text stood out clearly.

Also the links when clicking on them wasn't allowing the page to switch over to the users photo gallery.

I guess its a (one step at time proceeder) to get the site back into proper perspective to the original layout, as members here are suckers for the vinatge look.:p

I guess I can turn the thumb from down to up now.http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif:p

One other thing since the site has a new software does it support (Chatbox)?

hjames
04-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Looks like things are returning to normal around here - the color is back - and all that remains on the regular pages is to restore the "Click here to Donate" link on the right side of the pages ... Good job, you folks!!

Krunchy
04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
+1
Yeah, its looking real good :applaud: Do need that "Donate" link that Heather mentioned, not complete without it :)

1audiohack
04-26-2010, 10:27 AM
What a relief to see the color is back! When my wife approaches me and see's maroon on the screen she just turns without a word as she just knows. Peace is restored!

Thank you!

Rolf
04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I have no problems using the v4. One must just get used to the new features and look.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Don McRitchie
04-26-2010, 02:39 PM
We got only patience for these minor issues. Thanks, Don.

Hi Bo

In case you are not aware, the login issue you were experiencing should be fixed for you. However, for the fix to work, you must delete all old forum cookies. Instructions for doing this are here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28441-Forum-not-remembering-me&p=286496&viewfull=1#post286496

Let me know if you are still having problems.

JuniorJBL
04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Don!

I am not sure that you even have to clear your cache. Mine has worked since you have tinkered and has logged me in since. I have not cleared my cache in about 3 months.
I am using IE 8 on 64bit platforms. I have not tried on XP as I have not used that for about a year.

All in all it is shaping up pretty nice.:applaud:

Thanks again Don!

BMWCCA
04-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I deleted nothing and didn't dump the cache. All I had to do was to click "What's New?" and I was logged in, I then logged out, and logged in again. From that point I've been logged in automatically every time I've visited.

I'm on a Mac running Firefox 3.6.2.

hjames
04-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Cool - one thing - I see the global menu buttons - but I think the order is off ...
It should be left to right - from the homepage inward, as you drill down into the site ...
You could even make a new Button called Donate!

So the buttons should be something like:
Main Website (homepage) | Library | Photo Gallery | Forum | What's New

Just my thought, from an ergonomics /transitional perspective ...

Just to clarify - I'm using OS X 10.6.3 with Firefox 3.6.3

BMWCCA
04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
All forum upgrades are now complete. The Photo Gallery just has been upgraded and appears to be fully functional. It must be noted that the gallery is no longer accessed as a forum catagory. Instead, there is a tab near the top right of the page that provides access.

:dont-know I sure don't see it. And x2 on the "Donate" button. Where'd it go?

Oops! There it is now (the photo gallery link), but not at the "top right". Instead it's at top left next to "Library". Thanks!

speakerdave
04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
This may have been said already--I don't have time to read this whole thread--but we should try to lose the "similar threads" feature in the marketplace forums. It calls up out-of-date threads.

BMWCCA
04-27-2010, 04:28 AM
This may have been said already--I don't have time to read this whole thread--but we should try to lose the "similar threads" feature in the marketplace forums. It calls up out-of-date threads.Push the "ignore" button in your mind? It's actually sort of useful in other forum topic areas, as much as computer search can make it. Certainly useful for those who may not be taking advantage of the "search" function...

JBL 4645
04-28-2010, 03:10 AM
Hi Bo

In case you are not aware, the login issue you were experiencing should be fixed for you. However, for the fix to work, you must delete all old forum cookies. Instructions for doing this are here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28441-Forum-not-remembering-me&p=286496&viewfull=1#post286496

What of Google chrome? Now does that not delete the cookies automatically? Haven't had any performance issues with logging in and out. Then again I stay logged in 24/7 :p

Least you have the donate function back up! ;) I haven’t looked at the latest photo gallery, to see if that is back up and running.

Edit: 2 minutes later... Oh, I guess the photo gallery is still under maintenance as its missing from the main forum page.

JBL 4645
04-28-2010, 03:19 AM
:dont-know I sure don't see it. And x2 on the "Donate" button. Where'd it go?

Oops! There it is now (the photo gallery link), but not at the "top right". Instead it's at top left next to "Library". Thanks!

What! What is this Ping-Pong ball? It’s at the top of the page.

I’m blind as bat.:D

Edit: That’s great up and running and smoothly as before.:applaud:

04-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for putting all the hard work in to keep the site safe Don!

It's been an uneventful upgrade from this end, I have been seeing small things, that seem to go away after awhile, but nothing major. I think it's all coming together now, I've adapted to change!. Remarkable, I thought that was no longer possible...

The only thing I miss is the way the Quick Navigation button (Bottom Right of page) works. It used to take you back to the forum you were currently in with one click, now it takes two.

No biggie, but maybe it's a setting that can be changed?

JBL 4645
04-28-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/statusicon/forum_new-48.png

Now doesn’t this blank icon have the means of adding an image to it, to indicate the type of forum page?

The site needs some symbols pictures to fill them in.;)

boputnam
04-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi Bo

In case you are not aware, the login issue you were experiencing should be fixed for you. However, for the fix to work, you must delete all old forum cookies.

I deleted nothing and didn't dump the cache. All I had to do was to click "What's New?" and I was logged in, I then logged out, and logged in again. From that point I've been logged in automatically every time I've visited.

Got it - thanks! :)

Hoerninger
05-01-2010, 02:51 AM
The old colours - I'm pleased.
Logging in is just fine.

Peter

herki the cat
05-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks for putting all the hard work in to keep the site safe Don! I miss the way the Quick Navigation button (Bottom Right of page) worked. It used to take you back to the forum you were currently in with one click, now it takes two. maybe it can be changed?

herki:
Me too, I get hopelessly lost navigating some of the new features.:o:

Also, just above our avatar, we had a reliable:"send Email button," from which it was possible to retrieve the complete URL of the subject thread & post at hand for reference in PM 's or other new posts. Any chance to retrieve this valuable "Send Email Button?"
:applaud::bouncy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clicking User ID here presented optional buttons including "Send Email" etc.

herki the cat
Join DateJune 2009
Location woodbury nj
Posts127

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/image.php?u=12038&dateline=1247150666 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?12038-herki-the-cat)

Don McRitchie
05-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I've re-enabled the send email function, which I guess must have been reset during the upgrade. However, if what you want is to get the address of a specific post, there is an easier way. Just move your mouse over the post number which is at the extreme right on the black bar at the top of each post. Right click while over this number and choose "copy shortcut". You can then paste this into any application or response.

The quick navigation issue is a bug. I've confirmed this on the Vbulletin forum. Clicking in the center of the box is supposed to take you to the displayed forum and not open the drop down box. Opening the drop down box is supposed to be actioned by clicking on the down arrow. The hope is that the next point release will fix this, but it has existed through the last couple of updates without being addressed.

TriVista
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the hard work Don. I'm sure this wasn't all fun.

The first thing I noticed with the new layout is the combination of font and font size. Looking at a previously saved thread we got 10 pt Verdana, now it seems to be down to 8 pt Tahoma. This is on the small size for older eyes. Moreover, Tahoma italic doesn't exit. Windows will happily "make it up" but this creates characters that lean too much forward, making it harder to read. Granted, I can "zoom in" to make the font size larger, but this doesn't fix Tahoma "italic."

Any reason for changing to 8 pt Tahoma?

Don McRitchie
05-07-2010, 11:21 AM
The font specification in VB4 has changed from point size to pixel size. This is to be in conformance with internet standards where the text based point size is really inappropriate.

I don't fully understand the difference other than the fact that point size is meant for printed text, where 1 point is 1/72" and 1px is exactly 1 pixel high on a display monitor. What's not clear to me is how pt translates to px on a monitor They are definitely not one for one.

The old version specified a 10pt font whereas the new version specifies a 13px font. On my monitor, 10pt Veranda and 13px Veranda display as the exact same size under IE8. I don't know why they don't on your display. I have checked with a number of different programs that allow the display of px or pt specified fonts, and 13px fonts are definitely identical to 10pt fonts in all of these programs on my display.

Update: Right now I am accessing the site from a computer running XP and IE6. The font on the forum displays as exactly the same size as the 10pt Arial used in the Windows system setting.

TriVista
05-07-2010, 09:39 PM
The change from pt to px is one of the "usual suspects." They are related as follows:

px = pt*dpi/72where dpi (dots-per-inch) is the resolution (pixel density) of the device (screen, printer, etc.) you are using. Yours appears to be 96 dpi (or you may have set your system to 96 dpi). Hence you get
px = 10*96/72 = 13 px (rounded).
13 pixel look like 10pt on your screen. But on my screen (120 dpi) they don't. Solving for pt yields
pt = px*72/dpi
hence
pt = 13*72/120 = 8 pt (rounded).
There is a plethora of opinions and anecdotal wisdom on the internet, but

The problem with px is that it gets you a different (physical) size depending on your screen's dpi, and it doesn't respond to changing the text size to "larger" in IE6 and probably below (which is why I switched to Firefox).
The problem with pt is that it doesn't respond to changing the text size in IE6 (but it gets you the same [physical] text size on any dpi).
The w3c recommends using the "em" instead of either px or pt (see http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/css2em.htm). The "em" is sort of a "relative" font size specification in that it refers to the default font size of the browser. 1em = 100% of the default font size. IE6 and IE7 appear to "hard-wire" this default to 12pt, while Firefox or Chrome users get to choose a default size (in pixels).

I forgot the default settings in Firefox or Chrome, as they are usually too small and thus are the first things I change. So... if you set the font size to 1em, the text may look larger than you want in IE and, at least with the default settings, smaller in FF or Chrome.

It's a bit of a mess with all the various browsers out there, which may explain the relative confidence in specifying things in pixels. Except that this gets some users a smaller physical font size, which is why I prefer pt or em in my CSS/html.

As to the actual typeface being used, this appears to be a glitch. I just displayed this thread in IE7 and FF3 side-by-side. IE shows your post in Tahoma, while FF in Verdana. Go figure... but don't lose any sleep over it.

Cheers
Beat Stamm

boputnam
05-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi, Don...

I am still getting a false negative on login. After logging-in, it looks like I'm not, but if I click on the LH logo, I in-fact, am. It's a mere cosmetic bug, but misleading (I guess that's redundant). Otherwise, all working well!

bo

Ken Andrew
05-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I hope others have commented on this. The member's small picture (avatar?) is used as to frame their forum posting. This leaves a blank border at top and sites of the post creating lots of white space. Consequently the posts now extend for several pages instead of being compact. White space may be free but I get bored clicking the page forward control.

BMWCCA
05-11-2010, 05:29 PM
The member's small picture (avatar?) is used as to frame their forum posting. This leaves a blank border at top and sites of the post creating lots of white space. Consequently the posts now extend for several pages instead of being compact. White space may be free but I get bored clicking the page forward control.

Sorry! I'll be sure to write more to fill up the space. ;)

The good news is sig lines are now at the bottom without entering extraneous text/symbols to add additional lines.

Have you tried changing your settings to make your page hold more messages? It's under "thread display options". The default seems to be 20 post per page. You can choose up to 100, if you want, though the page may load more slowly.

Don McRitchie
05-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi, Don...

I am still getting a false negative on login. After logging-in, it looks like I'm not, but if I click on the LH logo, I in-fact, am. It's a mere cosmetic bug, but misleading (I guess that's redundant). Otherwise, all working well!

bo

Unfortunately, I can't replicate this on the number of computers and software/browser versions I have tried. Nonetheless, there continue to be posts on the Vbulletin forum listing login problems that others are experiencing. The problem is that each one seems different and no one solution has come forward as an ultimate fix.

I'll keep monitoring that forum to see if something breaks on this issue.

Don McRitchie
05-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I hope others have commented on this. The member's small picture (avatar?) is used as to frame their forum posting. This leaves a blank border at top and sites of the post creating lots of white space. Consequently the posts now extend for several pages instead of being compact. White space may be free but I get bored clicking the page forward control.

Known VB4 issue. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

JBL 4645
05-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Don

So how came we can’t have a (profile picture) as well?

hjames
05-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Don
So how came we can’t have a (profile picture) as well?

We have the Avatar picture already -
just how many pictures do you need to load your posts with, anyway?

Really, lets keep it to one personal image per post -
plus whatever attachments are used to display the gear or the tech being discussed.

If there are too many images added to each posting, the site slows down like crazy - its like spamming your friends - and not really a good thing for conversation.

JBL 4645
05-23-2010, 06:14 PM
We have the Avatar picture already -
just how many pictures do you need to load your posts with, anyway?

Really, lets keep it to one personal image per post -
plus whatever attachments are used to display the gear or the tech being discussed.

If there are too many images added to each posting, the site slows down like crazy - its like spamming your friends - and not really a good thing for conversation.

Because Sooty wants his own profile picture, because it makes him feel good.:p

So how come you have a profile picture then?

I’ve gone to the CPU settings and it looks inactive to me.

I’ve looked at the other hard-core LHF members profiles and they don’t seem to have profile picture, expect you.

Profile picture is at the top avatar is located at the bottom.

hjames
05-23-2010, 06:39 PM
So go load one already - what's stopping you?
On the TOP RIGHT of the USER profile page is a link called SETTINGS -
go into SETTINGS and add your profile picture.

If you take the time to dig through my settings for all this diddly little stuff,
certainly you could have found it on your own - sheesh!

JBL 4645
05-23-2010, 07:56 PM
So go load one already - what's stopping you?
On the TOP RIGHT of the USER profile page is a link called SETTINGS -
go into SETTINGS and add your profile picture.

If you take the time to dig through my settings for all this diddly little stuff,
certainly you could have found it on your own - sheesh!

Yeah I’ve already looked at it about an hour ago and unless I’m sort sighted because I didn’t see it checked or other?

Maybe I haven’t contributed enough to the site.:p

rdgrimes
05-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Been meaning to gripe about this for a while.

Links in posts are the same color as text, so it's impossible to spot a link. this should be a pretty simple adjustment to change colors for links and active links.

Rolf
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
It is possible to move the mouse cursor over the text in the thread when the text says: www...something (http://www...something).

Been meaning to gripe about this for a while.

Links in posts are the same color as text, so it's impossible to spot a link. this should be a pretty simple adjustment to change colors for links and active links.

iain42
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
It is refreshing to see the site updated. It is coming along nicely. :applaud:

brutal
05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
It is possible to move the mouse cursor over the text in the thread when the text says: www...something (http://www...something).

How about just something (http://www.google.com)?

gotcha.

:D

JeffW
05-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Or just underline (http://www.google.com) the link.

The links really do need some sort of distinguishing contrast, I hate having to cursor hover an entire post looking for hidden links.

Rolf
05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
So ... you are very busy, short of time? The links are not hidden. Just look for www or http//. That is the link. If you have so little time, maybe you should try something else?

Or just underline (http://www.google.com) the link.

The links really do need some sort of distinguishing contrast, I hate having to cursor hover an entire post looking for hidden links.

hjames
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
So ... you are very busy, short of time? The links are not hidden. Just look for www or http//. That is the link. If you have so little time, maybe you should try something else?:crying:

Really put the sock in there dincha! Now bite down hard ...!

Proper web design is about the human interface - making it easier to use - friendly, intuitive.

Color cued links in a sentence is normal reasonable web design, plainly seen. Links that are the same color as the surrounding text are hidden and are Not good design - you have to hunt for them.

If the site managers can turn on color coding, why wouldn't you have that done?

JeffW
05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
So ... you are very busy, short of time? The links are not hidden. Just look for www or http//. That is the link. If you have so little time, maybe you should try something else?

Thanks for the advice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Abby). If you embed the url, you will not see the www or http//. The only way you (could) can see the link is to hover the cursor over every word in a post.

Looks like they have activated the underline, thanks.

05-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Problem is, everything is underlined now.

Rolf
05-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I rest my case in this thread. :confused:

hjames
05-27-2010, 02:31 PM

rest on what?? Your choice was "don't be lazy - mouseover everything and find the link your own darned self".
Nothing changed - you are still wrong! Your choice is still not user friendly design.

Jeff has the right idea - make the link visible on its own - either with color-coding (the default mode of the internet) or underlining (another default).

Or just underline (http://www.google.com/) the link.

The links really do need some sort of distinguishing contrast,
I hate having to cursor hover an entire post looking for hidden links.

JeffW
05-27-2010, 03:50 PM

I'm not trying to be hard headed, but if the word "advice" wasn't underlined in this quote, you'd never see that it was a hyperlink. There is no www. or http// visible. It would just look like any other sentence on the site, saying "Thanks for the advice". It would be up to the reader to hover the cursor over every word in every post, searching for embedded hyperlinks. Not user friendly, as Heather has mentioned.

Thanks for the advice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Abby).