PDA

View Full Version : They are a bit rough, but now I feel LH worthy...

perchdog
04-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Found these on C/L a few weeks ago. Offered by origanal owner and apparently stored more than a few years. The listing was for a collection of Thomasville furniture, these showed up at end of listing and with no pics.
They do show some wear and tear, desperatly in need of foam. I gave short money and still can hardly believe the deal went through. I always really liked the looks of the 4343, ehh maybe someday. This is definately a step up from my 4410's and 4312-c's, I really look foward to the day I can hook them up and let it rip.

Titanium Dome
04-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Congrats! You're a lucky dog. ;)

Mr. Widget
04-20-2010, 10:40 PM
I always really liked the looks of the 4343, ehh maybe someday. I've never been much of a fan of the aesthetics of the L300 myself, but if you restore these they could likely be traded for a clean pair of "proper" monitors... or perhaps they'll grow on you.

Regardless... good eye and congratulations.

Well Done!:applaud:

Widget

mikebake
04-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Me, on the other hand, always liked the looks of the L300's. Nice and hefty looking, like they can kick ass.
They were the first larger JBL's I saw/heard extensively back in the day; that may have something to do with it.

brad347
04-21-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm so jealous. That's the exact same thing I've been hoping happens to me!

Maybe one day. I've dreamed of L300s forever!

Congratulations on a great score and enjoy them!!

perchdog
04-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments....

A little background on myself, started collecting basically the same time I joined Lansing Heritage but spend most of my on-line time on AK. I have been to this site many many times lurking and using both the JBL and Altec libaries and think this is a great site.

Not so sure I would have gone after the 300's if this deal did not come up but have often considered taking the plunge on a nice set of monitors. I think it must be the blue faces and kick-butt components. I have also feared taking the plunge because I have never heard a big pair of JBL's up close and intimately. Also I kind of fell in to the small tube big effecient speaker thing, I have many projects in the works and well this one came from no where.

Now for the reason I posted... I sort of mis-spoke on what I intend on doing with the woofers. I am under assumption the 136 does not like to be re-foamed and should be re-coned to a 2235 configuration. I was wondering if any one has had any dealings with Fulkerson Speaker Rebuilder in Oxford Michigan (aka JBL Judy) ???

Don Mascali
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Nice score!
Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Audiobeer
04-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Those are some nice "Diamonds in the rough". Wouldn't take a lot of effort to make those very nice! Do you have grills?

perchdog
04-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Thank you...
I actually joined a couple of years ago but have not posted very much. I do love coming here and surfing the different forums and especially the 2 libaries, very nice. Some of the diy work have seen here is just increadable...

Do you have grills?

I really wish I did but not the case, also missing the lenses unfortunately. On the up side the side pics are of the 2 bad sides, the other 2 sides are real respectable. Please note I have not even as much as tried to wash some of the grime of them as of yet. I think once the woofers are reconed and risers replaced they will look so-so.

brad347
04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Still. So. Jealous.

:)

jcrobso
04-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I was able to pick up a pair a couple of months ago!

mech986
04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Thank you...
I actually joined a couple of years ago but have not posted very much. I do love coming here and surfing the different forums and especially the 2 libaries, very nice. Some of the diy work have seen here is just increadable...

I really wish I did but not the case, also missing the lenses unfortunately. On the up side the side pics are of the 2 bad sides, the other 2 sides are real respectable. Please note I have not even as much as tried to wash some of the grime of them as of yet. I think once the woofers are reconed and risers replaced they will look so-so.

Thanks for posting your find, any L300's are worth posting, no matter what condition. The veneers will clean up nicely and some judicious work can clean up the chipped areas pretty well. If you look for the lenses on Ebay, be sure to look not only for the L91's but also the 2308 professional labeled units, they may go for a little less, especially if there is any cosmetic issue which in most cases doesn't affect the sound much.

I'd recommend checking all the drivers for function and then try them out unless you feel the woofers are going to be unstable. If the foam is replaced, you might do fine. Otherwise, the 2235 recone kit is the way to go. While you're at it, get the alnico magnets on the 136 frame recharged so you know everything will be restored. Be sure to make up some new frame to cabinet gaskets, clean the controls, and then give them a shot.

Nice score!

jcrobso
04-26-2010, 11:10 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L91-LENSES-PAIR-075-375-LE-85-ORIGINAL-/320522530790?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aa0a1afe6

perchdog
04-26-2010, 02:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L91-LENSES-PAIR-075-375-LE-85-ORIGINAL-/320522530790?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aa0a1afe6

Ahh, thanks for being on the look out for me... I will be watching this auction, I do want the origanals like shown here. Not so sure I will be in positioin to buy them, I am treating these as more of a long term project, kind of nice knowing I have them. True I am in no rush but I am very interested in how these pups sound.

Otherwise, the 2235 recone kit is the way to go

I have already contacted a source to do the re-cone job. That would be Faulkersons Speaker Service in Oxford Mi. Still wondering if anyone from LH has dealt with them or heard about quality of work they perform, I do know she goes by the tag name JBL Judy. I also am not sure if she offers recharging service for the magnents, but she is approx 4 miles from my work and it seems there would be quite a savings in shipping alone/

SMKSoundPro
04-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I am under assumption the 136 does not like to be re-foamed and should be re-coned to a 2235 configuration.
Welcome to the forum.
I just got done doing a re-foam on a pair of 136's that came out just great! I have them here in workshop L200b's and I used the foam kits from Rick Cobb, who also goes by: LooneyTunes2001 on Ebay. He sure offers the right kits and very good instructions.

Again, congratulations on a grand pair of signature speakers! I am pretty confident you will enjoy them, as many others have!

Scotty.

super440
05-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Nice pick up, maybe some day the speaker gods will shine on me. Enjoy.:)

Doc Mark
05-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Evening, Perchdog,

Congratulations on scoring some nice L300's!! I wanted a pair of them since I first heard them, many years ago, and finally got our very nice pair just a few years ago! It was well worth the wait, as we dearly love them, and I'm thinking that you will, too! Have fun, and enjoy them. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Audiobeer
05-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Let me know when you get close to the end of the restoration and I may be able to help you out on a least 1 grille.

vettedrummer
05-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Hey, I have used Judy for many different JBL projects. Never for a 15" recone however. I did buy 15" LE15's speakers from Pointe Electronics that she did the recone on. Most of the time she will not do foam surrounds, but only a full recone. I did get her to refoam the LE14 speakers from my 240Ti's. Her work is nice and she's easy to get along with. I would trust her to do the recone without a doubt! When I did my L300's I got most of the speakers and crossovers from Hal Cox. Cheers, Frank

perchdog
05-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Let me know when you get close to the end of the restoration and I may be able to help you out on a least 1 grille.

Audiobeer,
Interesting proposition, I appreciate the help and will keep this in mind...

Vettedrumer,
Thank you for the responce. I kind of figured there would be no problems using her. If she was not a good source pretty sure I would have heard about it through this thread by now..

macaroonie
05-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I believe member here ' Mbottz ' will make grilles for you if you ask him nicely :)

Nice find BTW :applaud: like a dog treat em nice and you will have a friend for life.

bigblock1970
05-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Hi

Judy does a very good job. She is well respected for her work.

I also deal closely with Signature Audio In Wixom (Pontiac trail and Wixom Rd). They are an authorized JBL Service center and have done a ton of recones for me.

They have a pro sound company too and on occasion I mix for them. Great guys! !

Judy is great too.

Hope this helps and great find. Surprised I missed it. I do the JBL search every morning as I too am always looking for nice additions to the family.

Found a nice set of Jubals in Flint a couple of weeks ago with PERFECT 077's ( the rest of them were not to bad either) for $350. The last two sets of 077's on ebay have gone for $550. The guy was real nice too. He has a set of L250's too that he is getting ready to list so keep and eye out if you are interested. I already have 250ti's so I am set in that department

Hope this helps