PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations on a Positive 1400 review

clmrt
04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Lansing made the cover of Stereopile and the review was quite positive. The measurements were great, the subjective outcome was glowing. Congratulations to GT and the folks behind the effort. Hopefully this will raise awareness and acceptance and drive demand in the US for these world-class offerings.

ronaltronics
04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
What month of stereophile are you talking about I assume tne Array 1400's?

BMWCCA
04-14-2010, 08:14 PM
What month of stereophile are you talking about I assume tne Array 1400's?

May 2010:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/STEMAY2010-Large.jpg

Tom Brennan
04-14-2010, 08:17 PM
All those years that magazine touted lousy speakers and NOW we're supposed to think they know what they're talking about? ;)

tom1040
04-15-2010, 04:13 AM
Can someone post the review? I would love to read it.:bouncy:

clmrt
04-15-2010, 04:43 AM
I don't want to be sued for copy infringement or whatever, but the highlights -

Averaged in-room response north of 200hz was +/- 1db up through 20K.

The cabinet had a couple of resonances.

Dispersion was textbook.

Bass was solid to 25, in-room.

They seemed to dislike the assembly process.

The reviewer's wife helped carry the 115 pound speakers up the stairs! I know that when some other (not all) $10K+ speakers are reviewed, either the owner or a high-level support guy or at least the dealer will provide installation and tweaking.

Robh3606
04-15-2010, 07:09 AM
How about the all too often used term "horn sound"?? Was it mentioned in the review at all??

Rob:)

ronaltronics
04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi Guys.

I am loving this. I have been selling the Array 1400's for 2.5 to 3 yr's now and I am glad to see they made THE FRONT COVER OF THE MAGAZINE. These loudspeakers have a special place in my heart. They are simply AMAZING.I hope they never get discontinued from the line up.

In my view as they say(Better late then never).....

All I can say is Thank you Greg Timbers for another masterpiece.

Way to go JBL.....:applaud::bouncy:

clmrt
04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Amps used -

Levinson No 334
Bryston 7B-SST*2
Bryston 3B-SST*2

The reviewer never mentions horn charachteristics or preconceived notions of such in any way.

John Atkinson (editor-in-cheif, measurment guru) mentions that he is both a fan of GT and suspicious of horn designs. Therefore, he wasn't suprised that it measured so well and is so well engineered.

4313B
04-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I forwarded this thread to Greg. He hadn't seen the article.

Thank You! :)

Robh3606
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
I just ran out during lunch and got a copy. Very positive to say the least.

Mr. Widget
04-15-2010, 10:20 AM
It is great to see, especially on the cover! I hope to read the review soon.

It is interesting how you seem to be required to run ads to get reviews... just last month, April 2010 on page 122 there is a full page ad for the Everest DD66000 and K2-S9900. :hmm:

That said, to give the Magazine the benefit of the doubt, on the cover of that same issue they feature a Monitor Audio Platinum series speaker... a very beautiful speaker with excellent fit and finish and acceptable if not world class sonics. If you read the review carefully you kind of get that impression as well. They never say that it is just an average speaker that costs $8K a pair, but they don't drool over it either.

I am glad to see that JBL finally ponied up and bought the ad space!

Congratulations JBL and GT!!!

Widget

clmrt
04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
I would love to see a response from GT or JBL in the Manufacturer's Comments section next month.:bouncy:

cooky1257
04-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I subscribe to the digi edition and the May issue hasn't shown up yet-pah to this interweb:(

Mr. Widget
04-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I subscribe to the digi edition and the May issue hasn't shown up yet-pah to this interweb:(I subscribe to the print version and mine hasn't plopped into my mailbox yet either... it will. :)

Widget

JBLAddict
04-15-2010, 01:05 PM
I am glad to see that JBL finally ponied up and bought the ad space!
t

it just doesn't seem that difficult to buy some relatively inexpensive ad space, get the inevitable and deservedly positive reviews, generate demand, create supply, make $.... does it?:hmm: Apparently I just don't understand the objectives of a $2.891B business

Don McRitchie
04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
It is interesting how you seem to be required to run ads to get reviews... just last month, April 2010 on page 122 there is a full page ad for the Everest DD66000 and K2-S9900. :hmm:

In the late 90's, I had the opportunity to spend an afternoon with John Dunlavy of Dunlavy Audio Labs at their facility in Colorado Springs. He was quite candid about the situation with Stereophile. Whether stated explicitly or not, it was quite clear to him that placing ads was a requirement for getting his products reviewed.

Regardless, the recent Stereophile issue is a remarkable milestone for JBL to have their first cover and what is apparently a glowing review. It's not the first Stereophile JBL review as the S38 from the Studio series was profiled in 2001. However, let's hope there are more in the future.

Mr. Widget
04-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Apparently I just don't understand the objectives of a $2.891B businessDon't even get me started!

I subscribe to the print version and mine hasn't plopped into my mailbox yet either... it will.And it did!!!

However, my copy felt unusually thin. For the first time ever I received my copy missing pages 50-66. :banghead:

A complete copy is on it's way.

Widget

Robh3606
04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
I received my copy missing pages 50-66. :banghead:

Oh Hell!! That's where the review is:blink:

Rob:nanana:

SEAWOLF97
04-15-2010, 08:10 PM
after 2 years of Stereophile BS, I let the subscription lapse 2 months ago.

Mr. Widget
04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
after 2 years of Stereophile BS, I let the subscription lapse 2 months ago.I've subscribed for decades... I preferred it when it was a "smaller" yet physically larger mag out of New Mexico, but I still check it out each month... I laugh at much of it, take all of it with a grain of salt, but still enjoy seeing product that I wouldn't otherwise know existed.

While many condemn the mag for being too mercenary and easily bought by manufacturers, I think the situation is far more complex than that... they did damn Harman for the Lexicon Blu-ray debacle, and they have had a number of somewhat random reviews of vintage gear that clearly no one paid them any money to write. In this very issue there is an article about refurbing a pair of vintage Large Advents... and not tossing them or bastardizing them as some on this forum would have you do. ;)

Widget

clmrt
04-16-2010, 02:59 AM
I thoroughly enjoy the balanced approach, the listening / cold-hearted measurement perspectives, especially when something $$$ stinks on the test bench. They find a lot of manufacturer defects...a lot.

SOP is to read the last paragraph of a review, and then the entire measurement sidebar. Then it goes ito the "library" for future examination.

ronaltronics
04-16-2010, 08:50 AM
My issue just walked in, I see Now this Amazing review.

Also noticed they happen to be testing it using Brytson gear..

HUUMMM, I have been using this combo for some time now. And recommending it on this forum since I joined...

Way to go Array 1400's................:bouncy:

Valentin
04-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Bravo this is very good for JBL

know keep em coming at least one or two a year

JBL needs to bring back the cache in the Americas

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

jerry_rig
04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I've subscribed for decades... I preferred it when it was a "smaller" yet physically larger mag out of New Mexico, but I still check it out each month... Widget

While I would often buy a copy of Stereohile if I saw it on a news stand, I spent my subscription dollars for well over a decade on The Absolute Sound. TAS would never subject a component -- amplifier or speaker -- to hard measurements. And, of course, they never ever considered JBL a serious marque. Eventually the snobbery and put downs turned me off and I pitched the entire stack. But I'm pretty sure they were not motivated by ad placement -- though I have no proof either way.

ronaltronics
04-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Hello gentlemen,

Picked up the issue of HiFi choice (April) where the Everest DD66000 are on the front cover,needless to say they won the Editor's Choice award.

Gee I did not know that would happen....

I also Emailed Greg Timbers to let him know this was coming out and I let him know about the Stereophile with the 1400's on the cover.

The bryston forum is talking about the 1400's too because the Bryston was used in the review of the Array 1400's.

SEAWOLF97
04-17-2010, 03:42 PM

Stereophile must be monitoring this thread.....:barf:

Soo, I havnt got an issue for 2 months...subscription end date is Mar10 (on the label) ....so what shows up in the mail today ?
The "Horns Aplenty - Array 1400" issue...(with all the pages in it)
still shows Mar10 on the label...:blink: ..weird.

LATER: read the article, nice review,

funny how it starts in the first para saying "...the California company has offered a steady stream of high performance domestic loudspeakers to the home market including the 1971 Paragon, the L100 bookshelf speaker and the JBL 250Ti floorstander, all of which remained in JBL's catalog for 20 years."

cosmos
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM

About 2 years ago I re-subscribed after about 30 years without a subscription. It's not the Stereophile of old. It's still quite readable, but just doesn't have the credibility it once had. Every month I read a few articles and usually end up shaking my head at some of the stuff...

I remember in the 70s seeing Consumer Reports rate various audio products. Now that was almost always good for a laugh.. But Stereophile knew what they were doing back then even if it could be a little snobby..

The 1400 Array are beautiful. One of these days, maybe I'll be lucky enough to actually hear a pair.

Mr. Widget
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
About 2 years ago I re-subscribed after about 30 years without a subscription. It's not the Stereophile of old. It's still quite readable, but just doesn't have the credibility it once had. Every month I read a few articles and usually end up shaking my head at some of the stuff....I agree completely... there is a hint of the old Stereophile, but they have really just become the new Stereo Review.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
A It's not the Stereophile of old. It's still quite readable, but just doesn't have the credibility it once had. Every month I read a few articles and usually end up shaking my head at some of the stuff...

I'd really like to like Stereophile mag...it concerns things that I enjoy , its darned near a giveaway at a dollar an issue - delivered. BUT the subjective opinions, the political slant , the gushing of the writers.:barf:...just like Cosmos....I read an issue and toss it down , just shaking my head...and mutter something like "what a load of crap"

Glad that they reviewed the 1400 and had a major epiphany that you can refoam speakers , but honestly there is nothing else of value in the issue....its rather sad when the ads are more useful than the editorials/reviews....tho the reviews are good for putting me to sleep at bedtime.

With so much unemployment , losing homes , bankrupt states, general insecurity ..... testing of $107K speakers, pimping $3k interconnects/speaker cables etc, etc, just has no relation to reality. Geeze their top recommended turntable is $150k.:barf::barf:

It's not the Stereophile of old. It's still quite readable, but just doesn't have the credibility it once had. .

there is a hint of the old Stereophile, but they have really just become the new Stereo Review.
Widget

Credibility ??? I would believe Julian Hersh long before Fremer/Dudley etal ...The Stereophile 250ti review has been referred to in old threads around here....many could not believe it either.

cosmos
04-19-2010, 07:23 PM
there is a hint of the old Stereophile, but they have really just become the new Stereo Review.

:applaud:

I don't think there was ever a bad review in Stereo Review..

With so much unemployment , losing homes , bankrupt states, general insecurity ..... testing of $107K speakers, pimping $3k interconnects/speaker cables etc, etc, just has no relation to reality. Geeze their top recommended turntable is $150k.:barf::barf:

Quoted for truth.

DavidF
04-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Not just JBL but a review of a Klipsch! There must be some scratching of heads involved with some of nothing-else-matters-but-two-way/microdynamic-but-with-glorious imaging speaker supporters.

You know, the last paragraph in John Atkinson's technical review states "I have been a fan...of Greg Timbers ever since I met him and listened to prototypes of his JBL 250 on a visit to the company's Northridge, CA, factory in 1981."

Who knew? I have been reading the magazine since John joined the staff. That's the first I heard that, John.

svollmer
04-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Just got my issue; great reveiw. As some have already said, maybe we'll be fortunate enough to hear a pair of these. I'm psyched that JBL might be serious about re-establising a presence in the upscale North American audio market. If everything works out okay, I plan on purchasing a new pair of speakers in the next two years or so and these would definitely be on my radar to listen to.

Any chance JBL would be willing to display these at the first annual Capital Audiofest? http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/p1.html Pleeeeese!:applaud:

Mr. Widget
04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Any chance JBL would be willing to display these at the first annual Capital Audiofest? http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/p1.html Pleeeeese!:applaud:Don't know... you might contact your regional JBL rep: Balaton Marketing 800.288.4434. They would likely have that info.

BTW: I know of rumors that they will be at this California show at the end of July: http://www.caaudioshow.com/

Widget

svollmer
04-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Don't know... you might contact your regional JBL rep: Balaton Marketing 800.288.4434. They would likely have that info.

BTW: I know of rumors that they will be at this California show at the end of July: http://www.caaudioshow.com/

Widget

Thanks! I'll give them a call today.

Valentin
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
i will be reciving a pair in mahogany wood grain for my room in two weeks :bouncy:

4313B
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
i will be receiving a pair in mahogany wood grain for my room in two weeks :bouncy:Awesome!!! :bouncy:

Robh3606
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
i will be reciving a pair in mahogany wood grain for my room in two weeks :bouncy:

And you will not be disapointed!

Rob:rockon2:

Valentin
04-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks i cant weight

has someone had expiriance with the 800array speakers

in the tec pappers it seem even smoother than the 1400 array

i do have some Revel M22 wich sound very nice

but my objective would be a 5.1 array system i thik it would realy stand out in my sound room

JBLAddict
04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks i cant weight

has someone had expiriance with the 800array speakers

in the tec pappers it seem even smoother than the 1400 array

i do have some Revel M22 wich sound very nice

but my objective would be a 5.1 array system i thik it would realy stand out in my sound room

excellent, pls don't forget to post some pics inside that magnificent listening room you put together, as well as draw some comparisons to the the Revel F32s and LSRs

scott fitlin
04-23-2010, 09:20 PM

WidgetSounds like JBL is intending to re-establish themselves in the consumer Hi Fi market. I like the sound of this!

:thmbsup:

svollmer
04-25-2010, 03:56 AM

Did you order them directly from JBL, or do you have a dealer in your area?

Valentin
04-25-2010, 07:42 AM
There is a dealer in my area :)

Titanium Dome
04-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Congratulations on a fine purchase. You will be quite pleased. In your room, they should sound wonderful.

Robh3606
05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Posted for all to see

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/jbl_synthesis_1400_array_bg_loudspeaker/

vettedrummer
05-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Good news to those of you on the east coast. Audio Classics in Binghamton, New Yourk now has the JBL Project Array speakers in their store! They will stock the 1400's and the 1000's. Word has it the 1000's are a bit faster than the 1400 and may be the better buy. Biggest and most expensive isn't always the best sounding! Cheers, Frank

svollmer
05-13-2010, 04:05 AM
Check out Harman's new ad in this month's Stereophile. It shows Levinson, JBL, Revel, and Lexicon in one ad, apparently to illustrate a high-end "family."

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner so I can't post it. :(

Steve

4313B
05-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Good news to those of you on the east coast. Audio Classics in Binghamton, New Yourk now has the JBL Project Array speakers in their store! They will stock the 1400's and the 1000's. Word has it the 1000's are a bit faster than the 1400 and may be the better buy. Biggest and most expensive isn't always the best sounding! Cheers, FrankFrom a purely technical perspective the eight and the ten used in the 800 Array and 1000 Array are nowhere near the same build quality of the fourteen in the 1400 Array. That said, the 800 Array came out as the favorite among the three (smoothest and best balanced in the evaluation listening rooms).

I would have liked to have heard the SAM1HF/SAM2LF and 1400 Array side by side but I'll probably just end up going with five Tannoy DC12i's and a pair of JBL subs for my HT. The thought of five of any of the Arrays doesn't thrill me much, especially since I can't have Greg's 1200 Arrays. :rotfl:

Check out Harman's new ad in this month's Stereophile. It shows Levinson, JBL, Revel, and Lexicon in one ad, apparently to illustrate a high-end "family." Yeah, they are the HPAV group. Crown handles their service out of Elkhart, IN. None of their stuff is made in the U.S.A. anymore. It's all foreign sourced. :(

Mr. Widget
05-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I would have liked to have heard the SAM1HF/SAM2LF and 1400 Array side by side but...Even though they have a lot in common... the SAM system is really designed to take advantage of the SDEC DSPs in the Synthesis system... without a lot of correction they don't sound nearly as balanced as the 1400 Arrays.

I certainly have heard less expensive speakers sound better than more expensive ones from the same brand, but in this case, the 1400 is just so damned good. I have a pair in my living room at present... they are just visiting, but I may spring for a pair. They are that good. The more I listen to them the more impressed I am. GT really hit a home run with them. I hope more people get a chance to hear them and really listen... before putting in some serious time with them I knew they were good, but now having logged perhaps 40 hours of serious listening, I can really recommend them.

Widget

grumpy
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
the SAM system is really designed to take advantage of the SDEC DSPs in the Synthesis system... without a lot of correction they don't sound nearly as balanced as the 1400 Arrays.

I can at least concur (again) that the SAM system really can and does sound improved with
the correct SDEC calibration (vs. not) :). I've only heard the 1400 array separately,
in a 'foreign' (to me) environment, with music that wasn't my favorite, and for way too
short a time to even -try- to form a mental comparison. :(

Titanium Dome
05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Even though they have a lot in common... the SAM system is really designed to take advantage of the SDEC DSPs in the Synthesis system... without a lot of correction they don't sound nearly as balanced as the 1400 Arrays.

Widget

Uh, well yeah, that could be due to the SAMs not being complete until either the SAM passive network is installed or, more appropriately, the SDEC is attached and everything is calibrated. Can't expect much from a speaker without a network. :)

Hope you decide to buy the 1400 Arrays.

I had a little get-together at my place last weekend with some AVSers, Grumpy, and the BassQ, and talk eventually got around to Revel Ultima2 Salons, as heard at Kevin Voecks' house, and the SAMs, as heard at Chez Dome. Surprising to me was the general sentiment that the Arrays were more listenable and more impressive. This was due in part to the perception that the Revels were fantastic, had all the right parts, and measured exceptionally well, but lacked personality, vibrancy, life.. you get the idea. They were considered cold or sterile. :hmm:

Personally, I don't agree with that assessment, as I like the Revels very much, but I do agree that the SAMs (properly installed) are surprisingly, amazingly wonderful at everything they do.

Like 4313B, I've never heard the SAMs and the 1400 Arrays in the same room, though I've had lots of ear time with both by now. There's little doubt in my mind which will fare better when both are properly installed and calibrated, though either one will be pure bliss to its owner.

Mr. Widget
05-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Uh, well yeah, that could be due to the SAMs not being complete until either the SAM passive network is installed or, more appropriately, the SDEC is attached and everything is calibrated. Can't expect much from a speaker without a network. :)Smarty pants... you know what I mean.

Widget

grumpy
05-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Sorry for the 1400 Array interruption, but in the interest of fairness re the Revels...

They were considered cold or sterile.The 'general sentiment' was largely driven by one individual (not me, ... surprise!)

The room seemed like an overly damped (not damp) cave, a feature recognized
and acknowledged by the host.

The volume was generally louder than I prefer (I am not considering the movie demos).

Many of the recordings (specific performances) were not familiar.

I eventually tired of listening to them, preferring to chat with the transducer
designer.

I didn't sit in "the money seat."

Different circumstances could -radically- change this less then overwhelmingly
positive impression.

--------------------

so yeah, I basically "didn't not like them" :p in that unfamiliar environment.

Titanium Dome
05-13-2010, 03:25 PM
So...

...you didn't not like them? :confused:

Kidding, yes it really was the "ring-leader" who pushed that opinion.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled 1400 Array appreciation.

JBLAddict
05-13-2010, 10:02 PM
if these overwhelmingly positive reviews keep coming in, I'm eventually going to have to pull the trigger on a pair of these, despite their General Grievous appearance...;)

Hoerninger
05-14-2010, 12:10 PM
pull the trigger on a pair of these, despite their General Grievous appearance...;)
If you like to listen to the DD666000 then you will like the Array 1400 too ;) .
I have heard and liked them both. And the Array is much nicer in person than on a picture.

Mr. Widget
05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
If you like to listen to the DD666000 then you will like the Array 1400 too ;) .
I have heard and liked them both. And the Array is much nicer in person than on a picture.
I completely agree with both statements. The looks of the Array has kinda grown on me as they have been here... I won't vote for them as the best looking speaker ever, but they sound far better than anything I have heard in the sub stratospheric price realm and they look very purposeful and well made.

Widget

4313B
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I won't vote for them as the best looking speaker ever, but they sound far better than anything I have heard in the sub stratospheric price realm and they look very purposeful and well made.Yeah, I'm having a real problem with how my DIY "1500 Arrays" are looking... I think my wife has a problem with them too.

cooky1257
05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I think all the clones/diy versions I've seen have the edge over the real deals. This is of course like judging the best looking pig-there's only so much ....:D

JBLAddict
05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
and there you go, case in point, everytime 1400Array is mentioned, a bunch of praise oozes off the page, and brings me that much closer to doing something "irrational" :p

I'm remembering when TD was contemplating the Array, and I sent him a link to a local pair of 1400s off CL with the center channel, for 7K, and how seriously I thought about going for those when they relisted a second time......

I completely agree with both statements. The looks of the Array has kinda grown on me as they have been here... I won't vote for them as the best looking speaker ever, but they sound far better than anything I have heard in the sub stratospheric price realm and they look very purposeful and well made.

Widget

JBLAddict
05-14-2010, 02:57 PM

When I heard the E2, and was about knocked off my feet, they were however in a perfectly conditioned listening room, with by my best math, 100K+ in Dartzeel, Luxman, pre/pro/amp/CD. In some respects my reaction to the E2 seems to be much more overwhelming than others who've heard it, and I've wondered since that day if I just caught them in a perfect storm scenario?

On the flipside,the 4338 I heard that day in a wide open showroom, which shares the 1400's HF/MF drivers, was not too far from the E2 at 1/4 the price.

All told, if the 1400 brought to my home anything like what I heard of the E2 or 4338 that day, I think I'd be done with speaker upgrades forever.

tom1040
05-14-2010, 04:07 PM
True. They are my last purchase. Best speakers I have ever heard-sound great with the McIntosh/Marantz equipment I have. I got great deals on all-50% retail (or less) on all.

If you can swing it, BUY them.:D

Valentin
05-17-2010, 07:32 AM
got them on friday

very very nice speakers

andywin
05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I think all the clones/diy versions I've seen have the edge over the real deals.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:: rotfl:

Seriously though, The 1400's can't be that ugly as my wife and all her friends love the look of them.

richluvsound
05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
I may have to re-think my project !

andywin
05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
I may have to re-think my project !

If you are thinking of building clones then you're welcome to come over and listen to my 1400's. I'm only about 20 mins or so away from you.

cooky1257
05-17-2010, 04:15 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:: rotfl:

Seriously though, The 1400's can't be that ugly as my wife and all her friends love the look of them.

I think it's with the grill frame on tbh, it just looks wrong-the curved sides are gorgeous-my missus likes mine too-not sure what that says about our looks though:D

Rich, did you ever get round to finishing those horns?
Cooky

richluvsound
05-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Hey Fella ,

The first one is my new avatar . I should have the pair finished by the end of next week . I then have to get the mounting plates made somewhere . I was going to use the RCA workshops , but they are so busy with final show projects that It could still be a few more weeks before I get them complete .

I don't have much energy at the moment so things are really slow -plus working with fibre glass in my bedroom is a nightmare . I miss my studio thats for sure ... :o:

richluvsound
05-18-2010, 08:31 AM
If you are thinking of building clones then you're welcome to come over and listen to my 1400's. I'm only about 20 mins or so away from you.

I may just take you up on your kind offer . Could you pm me your contact details ,

Rich

andywin
05-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I may just take you up on your kind offer . Could you pm me your contact details ,

Rich

pm sent

Thomax
05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Sounds like JBL is intending to re-establish themselves in the consumer Hi Fi market. I like the sound of this!

:thmbsup:

That's exactly what I thought when I read this thread. Here in France too we have the Array 1000 on the cover of may issue of "Haute Fidélité" magazine (but with no JBL or Harman ad). And it was rated "Référence Haute Fidélité" receiving 5/5 on all criteria.
There's clearly a new strategy behind this ! Has anyone got other reviews from other countries ?

Quote from the review : "Those who have never heard monitoring speakers with large woofers and compression drivers, particularly JBL branded ones, cannot imagine what "dynamics" really means."

vettedrummer
05-26-2010, 08:20 AM
I've finally got my new Project Array 1000 all set up and I've got to tell ya, right out of the box they are a better sounding speaker than my 250Ti's. For the next three days while my wife is away these will be sitting in the living room powered by a pair of McIntosh MC-501's. (They will move to my 2 channel listening room in the basement after this breakin period.) Please note, these do not sound honky at all! These are the best horns I've ever listened to. (I used to sell Klipsch) Why these are not for sale all over the USA in a mystery. JBL is truly missing the boat with these. The great reviews are in and people want to hear them, but where do you go to do so???? I got mine from Audio Classics in Binghamton, New York. They report they can't keep them in stock they are moving so well. I went with the 1000's over the 1400's because the bass response is faster with the 1000 and since i don't spend my time listening to rap and hip hop these do what I need in spades!

JBLAddict
05-26-2010, 09:20 AM
VD, Congrats on a fine purchase!! from Audio Classics are these NIB?

The Array series has to be the biggest acquisition phenomena to occur on this forum in a very long time, and for a current, high dollar series, unprecedented, best I can tell (possibly matched by the few PS buyers)

Forum members who heard them early on did nothing but rave, TiD's One Array system acquisition no doubt helped generate energy. I've only heard the 4338 which has the same MF/HF as the 1400 and was left essentially speechless. Now the various magazine reviews.....all great stuff for JBL.....

So...people are choosing 1400,1000, and 800s, and some are saying I didn't need that much bass so chose the 1000, others that the 800 is the most balanced of the series, but are they really comparable is those simple terms given the different drivers? I assumed the 435AL was in another class compared to the 175Nd-3 and size aside, the LE14H-3 was in a different class than the "polymer treated pulp cone" of the 1000/800? (don't know the model#s) Are the three models really that closely related?

vettedrummer
05-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Addict, THANKS! YES, these are Brand New in the box. How much alike are the three speakers? Well they all share the same ultra high tweeter the 045 Ti. The 1400 has the 435AL 3" as it's Hi freq while both the 1000 and the 800 share the 175Nd-3 1 3/4" . The 880 center channel speaker also has the 435AL in it's set up. I feel I got the speaker that sounded the best to me. I thought about the 800, but to my old ears the 10" won out over the 8" woofer. I have lots of JBL's in my collection with the 14" woofer and I like it alot, but in this series it's just not fast enough. This reminds me of when I was in sales and folks would bring in consumers report as their reference used to buy equipment. I'll tell you what I told them. Those people are just like you. They like what they like and you like what you like. Doesn't make them right, doesn't make you wrong. You have to live with what you buy for a long time so buy what sounds good to you cause as far as I know they won't be paying you a visit anytime soon. No where have I seen a reviewer that has had all three of these JBL's in his reviewing room. So it is a moot point. Does JBL want you to buy the 1400, sure they do. (you'd never know it by how hard they are to find)do they make more money with the 1400 you bet! So your not going to hear them say that the 800 is the best sounding speaker of the three or that the bass response is faster with the 1000. You have to decide that for yourself. Hey, I can afford up to the 1400 and I'd have it if I felt it was best for me. Just like so many other products, soon enough these will be on the resale market cause guys in our hobby buy and try and dump. You get a great deal on a great speaker you just have to wait like so many of you have for an L-300 or the 250Ti. For this point in my life, for the kind of music I enjoy this is the right speaker for me. Cheers, Frank

JBLAddict
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
which of the three did you have a chance to hear before making your decision? just curious if the faster 10" was something you heard comparing the two directly.

vettedrummer
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Addict, I only had the 1400 and the 1000 to actualy hear at the same time. The 800 I had heard before. It really wasn't in the running due to it small size. It was just not what I was looking for.

JBLAddict
05-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I think the "responsible" thing to do for all the new Array line owners out there is to post a review at audioreview.com, and get the word out there, starting in places like this where hobbyists go for information.....the more personal owner testimonials, the higher the demand, and better chance for local availability.....IMHO of course.

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/jbl/floorstanding-speakers/1400-array-bg/PRD_444784_1594crx.aspx
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/jbl/floorstanding-speakers/1000-array-bg/PRD_444783_1594crx.aspx