PDA

View Full Version : Change to Mundorf Capacitors

ronaltronics
04-11-2010, 05:59 AM
I have always read about Mundorf Capacitors and I see they now make (SILVER-GOLD-OIL) I will be experimenting on a pair of 1400 Arrays soon just to swap out the Capacitors at the same value ratings and see the before and after effect. I have many audiophile friends and one told me about a story where he changed out the Capacitors in a customers house and the speakers were the DD55000 and it made a substantial difference.
This is why I am so curious to see if there will be any difference to my ears.

Has anyone else tried this so called tweak??????

Robh3606
04-11-2010, 06:20 AM
I just built a 1400 Array clone. The networks were built using Charge Coupled networks. If you are going to build up another pair I would give that a try. Using Solens it will be equivalent to the quality of parts used in the 9800,9900 and Everest 2 Crossovers and should come in at substantially lower cost.

Every DIY speaker and network I have built over the past 7 or 8 years or so has been built using CC Networks. They sound really nice and are an improvement over the standard networks.

Rob:)

ronaltronics
04-11-2010, 06:27 AM
HI Rob,

Solen looks heavy duty to but have you or your friends ever tried MUNDORF?

How do the ones you built sound?

What drivers did you use?

Thanks.

Robh3606
04-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Solen looks heavy duty to but have you or your friends ever tried MUNDORF?

No the only "boutique" caps I have tried are Hovlands. The issue I have with those Mundorfs is cost. You are looking at $50-280 a capacitor and your upper cap value is 10uf with limited values available. To build networks using them will cost you a couple of grand. That is way out of my budget especially with how good the CC Solen networks sound.

How do the ones you built sound?

They sound very good. The CC helps with detail retrieval like re-verb echoes, definition and spaciousness.

What drivers did you use?

I used an Le-14H3 and an aquaplassed 2435 and 045Be tweeter. So it's essentially a Be version of the Array. I love it, best sounding speaker I own.

Ian Mackenzie
04-12-2010, 04:08 AM
I would tend to stay with what the 1400's were voiced with.

What went into the design of the DD55000 and the 1400 is like comparing chalk and cheese.

herki the cat
04-12-2010, 05:12 AM
I just built a 1400 Array clone. The networks were built using Charge Coupled networks. If you are going to build up another pair I would give that a try. Using Solens it will be equivalent to the quality of parts used in the 9800,9900 and Everest 2 Crossovers and should come in at substantially lower cost.

Every DIY speaker and network I have built over the past 7 or 8 years or so has been built using CC Networks. They sound really nice and are an improvement over the standard networks.

Have you ever heard Western Electric paper capacitors from 1927 WECO Theater Amplifiers? These are pure paper and foil that does not have a chance to oxidize. They have zero oil or encapsulation in sealed metal cans and they sound like a straight wire. Japanese go crazy for thes caps.

cheers herky the cat

Robh3606
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Hello Herky

Have you ever heard Western Electric paper capacitors

I have never tried them. One of these days;)

Hello Ian

What went into the design of the DD55000 and the 1400 is like comparing chalk and cheese.

E2 not the original. We got a peak inside a SAMHF1 and it was typical JBL. Film caps for the smaller values and on the horn with Electrolytics for the larger values.

tom1356
04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
I have used the Mundorf silver/gold caps in a crossover and they are very very good.
If you are out for the best possible sound then you should try them on tweeters.
Let us know when you decide what to do.